• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Clutch problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Our 1586 International tractor blew its clutch . Has anyone replaced one before ?

We were told it has to go in and be split, 2200 for labor ,not sure about parts. Yes we are in the middle of haying too. Delayed again as we got over an inch during the night again.

Thanks

I haven' had to do my 1486 yet, but I know they have to be split. If it was you're torque amplifier I believe it can be done without splitting.
Sorry about your luck, that's bad timing.

Thanks Silver, it seems it has been one thing after the other this year. Unfortunately not the torque amplifier ,ugh . 15-20 hours of labor, does that sound steep ?

I would guess that is about right anymore. I know 15 years ago it was nearly $2000 total to put a clutch in a 1486. For $2200 plus parts a person might find a good used tractor for just a bit more.

Sorry about your luck.

LazyWP said:
I would guess that is about right anymore. I know 15 years ago it was nearly $2000 total to put a clutch in a 1486. For $2200 plus parts a person might find a good used tractor for just a bit more.

Sorry about your luck.

Me too. And hope your flywheel is still good.

Thanks everyone, it is the throwout bearing coming apart ,everything else is in tact. Better to fix it I guess then spend 15-20 on another one ,really used.
Machinery really escalated around here when beef prices rose .

I think we will be able to limp through cutting and then hopefully my tractor can handle the baler. It is however pouring again and very ugly here right now :?

$2200 for labor makes this sound more attractive as a DIY project if you have the time and place to do it. Looks like good blocking, a concrete floor, and a shop manual would get you through the project. Whatever you do, be safe!

Years ago as a teenager I help a knowledgeable neighbor split my Super M. Just think of the 1586 as an overgrown Farmall!

If you have the tools and a good solid surface on which to work this would be a good job to cut expense on and do it yourself armed with the shop manual it is just pulling wrenches and grunt work prying the tractor apart and pushing it back together.

miocene said:
If you have the tools and a good solid surface on which to work this would be a good job to cut expense on and do it yourself armed with the shop manual it is just pulling wrenches and grunt work prying the tractor apart and pushing it back together.

:agree: you might consider one of the many mobile mechanic's as well, they usually specialize in one brand or another but some are very very good and are generally cheaper than dealers as they don't have million $ buildings to service.

feel fortunate that your not dealing with an older Case power shift,

KA-CHING

Our dealers here charge $60 to $90 an hour even if it takes you twice as long your still makeing $30 to $45 an hour.Where in a ranch operation can you make that kind of money. I know alot of tractor mechanics and most are'nt capeable of working on a bycycle so I'd bet your more than qualified. And I bet there's enough of use here we could walk you through the whole project. I've split them before once you do one you'll think whats so hard about that.

My son's father-in-law has an 1175 Case that needed a clutch and the dealer wanted to much so we bought 2 heavy steel casters and some angle iron and made a nice set up to split the tractor.

Even with building the rig so that we could block up the back half and roll the front away we spent less than a day and replaced the clutch and did a complete service while the tractor was in the shop.

I think we might have had $100.00 or so in building the caster set up for splitting and we made it real nice so that we could fine tune the height by turning 1" bolts - - - we have not needed it again but several neighbos have used it since we made it.

Any info you need you can probably find on line and with experienced help I can't see why it could take more than a few hours to do.

Thanks for all the replies, nice to know there are so many helpful folks on here to get advice from.

Don't have a place to work on it here ,nor the proper tools, maybe when a friend gets back from chopping in Texas we can use his big shop and he can give hubby a hand. As far as time goes we are like everyone else, very short supply of it :roll:

Won't be cutting today either, in 2 days we have gotten another inch and a half. Sure wish we could send it to where it is much needed .

Thanks again . :tiphat:

Latest posts