• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

collar training a corgi puppy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

chloe

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm new to this. I have a corgi puppy named Chloe. She is 4 months old and quite a sweetie. We do have one major problem that I could use help with.... She HATES her collar. I mean she is a big drama queen sulking, moping, giving me dirty looks, falling to the ground trying to rub off her collar kind of stuff. :mad: I have tried everything from bribing to making sure whenever we put on the collar we do something fun and get a "cookie" and she still looks like I have broken her spirit. Anybody know how to handle this. She starts puppy school next week and she HAS to wear a collar!! :eek:)

leave her collar on all the time, make it tight enough that she can't get it off, ignore her "drama", and she'll get used to it. simple. don't give in. if she runs working cattle or whatever, you might consider a "quick-release" collar, but if she's basically a house-dog, ie, not working for a living, she simply has to get used to a collar like every other well-trained dog.

if she buffalos you on the collar, you will NEVER get her trained/ they're not kids, they are DOGS. (and some kids would do well if their parents could act as if the kids were dogs--but that's another story :roll: ).

as haymaker says "good luck". as I say "don't give in" :)

Great answer, Chuckie, as you got to be top dog or it ain't gonna work. My corgi/heeler did not like it as first or the lead but it did not take long to figure I was the boss. Don't give in whatever you do. I watch the dog wisperer on Dish on Saturday mornings and he says people forget they are dogs and should be treated as such. They are not humans. Pretty interesting stuff he does with dogs.
Good luck and use tough love. :!:

Great answer, Chuckie, as you got to be top dog or it ain't gonna work. My corgi/heeler did not like it as first or the lead but it did not take long to figure I was the boss. Don't give in whatever you do. I watch the dog wisperer on Dish on Saturday mornings and he says people forget they are dogs and should be treated as such. They are not humans. Pretty interesting stuff he does with dogs.
Good luck and use tough love. :!:

well, how i see it is: it's really kind of comical to watch them fight stuff (esp. when they're little), when ultimately it's inevitable (we hope :roll: ) that they'll lose.

same with kids: don't laugh in their face, stay matter-of-fact in your attitude. they do come around. and STAY CONSITENT (kids or dogs or horses). that is (the consistent part) easier said than done.

i literally have to write it down at times, but it's worth it....

Thanks for the great info. It's not that I haven't heard this before, I just am used to Golden Retrievers, and they will do anything to please people. Chloe has a much higher self esteem!! I will stay strong and not let her manipulate me anymore. :!: I promise! By the way, I love the Dog Whisper show! 8)

Gosh, I'm out of the loop here on a couple of things.

Who is it, what channel is it and when is the Dog Whisperer on? We watch RFD-TV and I don't think we have ever come across this.

And what the heck is a Chi machine?

Sorry to show my ignorance~actually I was hoping someone else would ask~ :p

Faster horses said:
Gosh, I'm out of the loop here on a couple of things.

Who is it, what channel is it and when is the Dog Whisperer on? We watch RFD-TV and I don't think we have ever come across this.

And what the heck is a Chi machine?

Sorry to show my ignorance~actually I was hoping someone else would ask~ :p

FH, the dog whisperer is on Animal Planet. Can't tell you the times as I don't watch it.

I do have my work cut out for me with Miss Rita. She looks more Corgi (big paws) with very little heeler showing except for the spots on her nose and legs. I like adventures and I believe she is going to be an adventure. She just tried crawling in the water bucket and she put her head clear in the water.
Mountain time zone has the Dog Whisper on at 8-9 AM Saturday on Animal Planet. Ceazar is the dog trainer in Hollywood for the big stars.

The Chi Machine (Class 1 Medical Devise) is a small passive aerobic machine where you lay on the floor resting your ankles in the cradle. It moves you back and forth gently to relax muscles, increase oxygen, align the spine and move the toxins out of your body. 15 minutes=90 minutes of aerobic exercise as far as body oxgenation. :clap: I was told about it by my chiropractor as I was in so much pain from the neck/back and Fibromyalgia. You have more energy and sleep better when you use it. I use to be at the chiro 1 to 3 X a week until I discovered it. It is shown here at Greeley Farm Show. :wink: I sell them but I have not been as active as I was with them a few years ago. I got tired, I think, of trying to get people to belive they could help themselves instead of counting on the doctor/pills for everthing. You can try them for 14 days and if you are not happy, send it back to the company. They are sold in Canada, Mexico and the USA by distributors. The oldest person I have using one in WY is 94 and my granddaughter who is 2 uses it when she is constipated. Charisse loves the tingle you get when it is shuts off. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Big Muddy Rancher wrote me his 82 year old dad uses one and he has great oxygen levels as do I. Always at 99 % when I go to the doc. I did not belive it either till I tried it for 5 days and my neck/back pain started to go away. It was to simple. I had spent thousands of dollars on meds, doctors/chiropractors, massage, acupunture and vitamins.
Regards
I don't know how to box in the previous reply, how do you do that? lol

Hi!
Well.... we're going on 18 hours with the collar still in place! Chloe's no worse for wear and doesn't look as angry with me as before! Next is the leash. I think I will wait until Saturday for that one. I'll just put in on and let her drag it around for awhile unless someone has a better idea?

Chloe will not be a working dog in the rancher way of talking. I'm going to train her to be a therapy dog. I am a Special Education teacher and know there is a lot of research out there about how children with disabilities really open up and relax when they play with an animal. The benefit for me is I get to have my dog with me at school!! :D

Thanks again for the encouragement and suggestions :cboy:

chloe said:
Hi!
Well.... we're going on 18 hours with the collar still in place! Chloe's no worse for wear and doesn't look as angry with me as before! Next is the leash. I think I will wait until Saturday for that one. I'll just put in on and let her drag it around for awhile unless someone has a better idea?

Chloe will not be a working dog in the rancher way of talking. I'm going to train her to be a therapy dog. I am a Special Education teacher and know there is a lot of research out there about how children with disabilities really open up and relax when they play with an animal. The benefit for me is I get to have my dog with me at school!! :D

Thanks again for the encouragement and suggestions :cboy:

Chloe,

The best place for your Corgi is with kids. Our Corgi is an instant "kid magnet". He is also a grown up magnet. He is sooo cuuuute, and he is so good around kids. Our Corgi loves working cattle, and is pretty good at it once he figures out what you are doing. Corgis are so very smart, but in a beneficial way (ever own a smart dog who was sneaky?) Good luck to you and your endeavours with your Corgi.
Hanta Yo

chloe--yeah, attach the leash and just let her drag it. if you're outside, attach some lightweight clothesline to it (say 10-20 ft), then, she can never out-run you. this will be invaluable later on--she doesn't know that she can out-run you, and off-leash obedience will be easier.

here's how you do it: let her drag the leash inside (she'll get used to it), then, before you go outside, attach the long line. if she starts bailing on you outside, all you have to do is step on the end of the long line, and guess what? she stops!!!

or, you can hold the end of the line if you're not quick with your feet. i think the main thing with working with a long line is to 1) not give any verbal warnings, the point is that you want your dog to be watching you at all times. and 2) at least at first, make a short piece of line for them to carry on the collar all the time.

the dog doesn't know that it's a short piece, and you do have to put the long line on them when you go out, but usually they figure it out pretty quickly. just be consistent until they're solid on two things: they can't out-run you and 2) they WILL come when called (even if you have to drag them kicking and screaming--and a reward even at the end of this; you want the dog to want to come to you, therefore, the reward).

hope this helps a little... :roll:

Hi!
Thanks for the tips on leash training. We would love for her to run on the beach with us and our golden retriever, so this info will be great! We have been on three walks for far and she does better each time. Our golden just hangs with us wherever we go and we hope that Chloe will do the same. Thanks again! 8)

Our daughter had a Corgi that disappeared, and she is pretty sure the dog was stolen as were others in that area.

Anyway, the reason I am mentioning it is the problem she had getting her to come when called. One day she was in the basement and the dog was on the top step. Our daughter called to her, wanting her to come down the steps. The dog ignored her as per usual. Only this time there was a little light rope for roping a little dummy steer right at hand. Our daughter picked up the rope and roped the dog around the neck. Said, "come" and pulled the dog down the steps. From then on she always came when called.

Must have been the suprise of being caught that got through to the dog.

thats what i did to all my dogs i ever had if they wouldn't come when called. put a leash or rope on them and then call them and lightly tug for them to come and if it don't work, jerk them over to you. it don't take long for them to learn the "come here" command. My little corgi just learned that she can actually jump out of my pickup by herself. haha. I finally got sick of her making me lift her out so one day i pulled up in the driveway and then opened the door and left it and went in the house and left her alone in the 100+ degree pickup....so she either would jump out the open door or bake to death. She jumped :wink:

Latest posts