• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Colorado Snow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
We went out to Pueblo Colorado over the weekend, to deliver some hay to my in laws. Left Thursday morning trying to beat the "snow of the century", according to the news reports. We kinda took the scenic route to try to avoid the snow and the scales. I was legal, but..... Anyway, we went down through Burlington, Cheyenne Wells, Eads, then Pueblo. I hadn't been that way in YEARS. We ran into a bit of rain, and snow flakes that were HUGE, but drove out of it with in a couple miles. Got to with in 10 miles of the in laws before we ran into bad roads. Got the hay in the barn before it got real wet. Spent the weekend with them, and came home through the Springs, Limon and Brush. Fought snow packed roads from the Springs up to Last Chance. Looked like you guys out in that area were in for a real winter. It was pretty to drive through, but looked kinda miserable to feed in.

Tough to get around in, but it is a beneficial storm. Real wet, 9 or 10 inches before the wind rearranged things. It is in the single digets at night and making the drifts pretty hard. I should post some pics, but too busy chainin' and un chainin' to mess with a camera:). dLook us up sometine when you are down this way. 60 +/- miles NE of Pueblo.

It sure came at the right time. It was really starting to get dry in my part of the world, about 40 miles NW of Burlington. We really didn't have the wind like Limon had, but did get about 10" of good wet/snow. The further east you go into Kansas or just 10 miles east Burlington they don't have hardly any snow.

We got a pretty good snow - maybe 12-15 inches - 90 Miles east of Denver. Wind wasn't as bad as predicted. Pretty good drifts, but I've seen worse. Happy with the moisture. Kind of a mess to get around though, but we'll take it.

I thought about trying to see if any of you were anywhere close, but with the weather, I was quite content to stay where I was, and when it was time to head for the hills, I wasn't stopping anywhere. 500 miles from our door to theirs.

Cold feeding weather, but we got through. Everything was set the day before we got snowed on real hard. Had enough to play around on the snowmobiles. My little wheat plots are loving that snow cover. Also, when you went through Peyton on HWY 24, just as you get to the 55mph sign in town, the pastures on either side are leased/owned by my parents. I was doing homework most all weekend, so I probably waved at you from my window.

Few photos. Most of it has gotten a good start on melting, but we're still white.

020.jpg

Morning after the big snow. Drifts everywhere, even on the south roof.

022.jpg

HWY 24 was briefly closed on Friday.

023.jpg

Tie rail still half buried in a dirft. More clouds on the horizon.

024.jpg

Bird feeders were well used in the 6 degree weather.

To sum this storm up, it was no 1997 blizzard, but a good snow to help add to the moisture we got in December. We're looking forward to a very wet spring.

Latest posts