• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Colt and Buckshot

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Tam made Colt a rocking horse for his birthday. Well you should have seen his eyes light up when I carried it into the house. :D He knew it was for him, he would sit quietly on it for the longest time, in fact about the only time he was still unless asleep.
Of course I had to get some pictures.
coltspony024.jpg

Pretty comfortable sitting up there.
coltspony017.jpg

Might even be a singing cowboy
coltspony023.jpg

Wonder if he could get day work on the Spear head ranch?

There is a cute little cowgirl down there. :wink:

Did he learn the sock feet in the stirrups from Grandpa? :D

Good looking boy Big Muddy, glad you and Tam were able to get away for a visit. Did he buy any bulls for you?

What a cute pair! :) Buckshot has a job down here anytime he wants it.

Tam, you surely did a nice job making the horse for him to ride. You are a horse whisperer, trainer, and creater. Some of us would just be "horse breakers." :wink:

gcreekrch said:
Did he learn the sock feet in the stirrups from Grandpa? :D

Good looking boy Big Muddy, glad you and Tam were able to get away for a visit. Did he buy any bulls for you?

Boots are for sissies. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ring man took his bid a couple of times. :wink:

Tell that Little cowboy ta trim that horses mane :D :D
Miss Tam is pretty handy around a place, that dont look like my first "stick horse"

good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Tell that Little cowboy ta trim that horses mane :D :D
Miss Tam is pretty handy around a place, that dont look like my first "stick horse"

good luck

They told me to stay away from the mane. :(

Just because I roached it off of Snickers doesn't mean i can do it to Buckshot. :)

Gorgeous wood work….looks fantastic. Colt doesn't stand a chance….he's going to be sneaking out to ride rodeos before anyone knows what's going on…..
Thanks for the bids colt!!!

I am in awe of Tams many talents, what a masterpiece . :D Your grandson is so handsome already . Oh the poor girls in a few years ; many hearts will be broken . :wink:

Wish I had known you all were going to be in Innisfail last weekend , would loved to have met up . :tiphat:

hillsdown said:
I am in awe of Tams many talents, what a masterpiece . :D Your grandson is so handsome already . Oh the poor girls in a few years ; many hearts will be broken . :wink:

Wish I had known you all were going to be in Innisfail last weekend , would loved to have met up . :tiphat:

I hadn't seen you posting for awhile. I was watching to see if i could catch you on. Can you see your house from the Pine Lake hiway? I didn't recognize it anyway. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
hillsdown said:

I hadn't seen you posting for awhile. I was watching to see if i could catch you on. Can you see your house from the Pine Lake hiway? I didn't recognize it anyway. :?

Read a lot but haven't posted much lately. No you cannot see our house from there. We are right in the middle of all those rolling hills. Close to the highways but far enough away to feel secluded . Was layed up with a torn planters facia ,so was schleping around in an aircast these past couple of weeks . It made calving quite interesting .

Next time you are going to be this way give me a heads up ,would love to get together for sure .

Thanks for all the kind words :D
I took Buckshot down to Plentywood to show him to my mom, sister, Brother in law, two sister in laws and a few friends before we took him out to Alberta and a lady that saw him ask if it was going to be hard to give away after all the work that went into him. All I could say was Not when I'm giving it to Colt. The look on Colt's face when Grandpa carried Buckshot into the house was PRICELESS. It was as if he knew Buckshot was all his and was going to be his best friend for life. His reaction was better than anything I could have hoped for. Every hour of work was paid for in full. :D

Thanks again I'm glad you like my work.

Faster horses said:
Tam, did you make the horse? Just curious how you did that, it's
really neat regardless. You could sell them at your gallery!

Yes I made it. My Brother in law loaned me a book he had and challenged me. He figured after all the wagons I had built making a horse wouldn't be that hard so what could I do, I took him up on the challenge. I have to return his book now but was lucky enough to find the same book on Ebay so I got one coming in the mail.
Here are some pics in progress
40 some pieces were cut out (with the new scroll saw Big Muddy gave me for Christmas) and glued together in the different stages of the process.
Legs and under body were made up of 9 pieces. The first four pieces to the legs were drilled peg and glued onto the under belly then a second set of cut outs were glued to the inside of leg to make them stronger.
Colthorse001.jpg

Head and neck were 5 pieces and upper body was another 9 pieces
Colthorse004.jpg

Once all glued together A LOT of carving and sanding came into play.
Feb272012Tamcarving001.jpg

Colthorse008.jpg

Colthorse012.jpg

The 2 rockets were each made up of 5 pieces with another 9 pieces running between to make the rocker system
Colthorse030.jpg

There was three coats of stain put on with sanding between each coat
Colthorse028.jpg

Then it was out to the barn to get some of grandpa's horse hair he had roached off of his horse. Which happen to be the one Mantracker rode while filming here. Once the hair was sewd together it was glued in. Then I started making the saddle and bridle out of leather scraps. The strups were tricky but finally decided to use electrical conduate straping wrapped in black electrical tape. If Colt grows out of them his dad can replace them with bigger ones, as he is a Master Electrician :wink:
Colthorse039.jpg

Once it was built all that was left was the painting and finishing of the rockers. As I wanted him to be riding the open range I chose to paint sage brush, cactus, and being from Saskatchewan I painted the tiger lily as that is Sask Provincial flower and my favorite flower. I finished it with three coats of varnish and rub it down with a brown paper bag to give it that hand rubbed feel.
Colthorse054.jpg

And this was my reward, a very happy little cowboy :D :D :D
coltwaving.jpg

I have plans to make another one or two or how ever many more Grandchildren we have and I would love to have a bigger one for my gallery, but I doubt I will be selling them as they are a lot of work for the money I could get for one. :shock: I did have one lady in Plentywood ask if I had a business card after she saw Colt's but when I told her it wasn't for sale she was disappointed. :(

Big Muddy rancher said:
Tam made Colt a rocking horse for his birthday. Well you should have seen his eyes light up when I carried it into the house. :D He knew it was for him, he would sit quietly on it for the longest time, in fact about the only time he was still unless asleep.

coltspony023.jpg

Soapweed said:
What a cute pair! :) Buckshot has a job down here anytime he wants it.

Tam, you surely did a nice job making the horse for him to ride. You are a horse whisperer, trainer, and creater. Some of us would just be "horse breakers." :wink:

That is a great horse, Tam. I kinda messed up and didn't read the names correctly. At first glance, I thought "Buckshot" was a nickname for your grandson, and that you gave him a "Colt" to ride. Anyway, Colt has a job down here on the Spearhead Ranch anytime he wants it, and he can either bring his horse, Buckshot, along, or we will find something here for him to ride. :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
coltspony024.jpg

Pretty comfortable sitting up there.
coltspony017.jpg

Might even be a singing cowboy
coltspony023.jpg

The first picture looks like he is thinking Grandma are you sure about this ?
Second picture, Hey this aint all bad.
Third picture move outa the way Grandma Im gonna ride the back pasture fence line :D
good looking boy for sure and sure to be spoilt :wink:
good luck

Latest posts