• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Colts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Have they been loaded before? I find colts that have even just been hauled as suckers load better than those that haven't. But it sure is nice when they just step right in.

No silver, Never been in a trailier before. I put a broke horse in first and loaded the colts second. They were a little nervouse with the noise and the differant feel but was very good.

I use a broke horse to go before a young one a lot....It settles them, seems to give confidence AND I think they really do observe

Succes with these guys is always a great feeling,

PPRM

Yup... I try NOT to make an issue with getting my colts to work for me. If it's an issue they remember the issue. One filly is figity.. especialy on the left side. And if I put my right hand on her neck towards the front and about in the middle and brush her with my other hand she calms down and stands quite...

Northern Rancher said:
I used to tie my trailer door open and park it in the pasture with the mares and foals-have the time they'd be sleeping in it.

NR-I do about the same thing- after they are weaned and eating grain good, I stick each foal in a pen alone with the open trailer (blocked up or hooked to an old outfit)...Begin by putting their hay and grain by the door- moving it further back every day until they have to go in to get it- then feed them in there for a week or so-they get over all the fear of the trailer pretty fast.... Most go all the way in the first day--Lots of times they'll be jumping in and out playing or to get out of the snow or rain :) ......

I have been told by some "professional trainers" that this is the wrong way to trailer break them- but it darn sure works and is easy :wink: ....

Latest posts