• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

COOL closes border to Canada and Mexico live beef imports.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ranchero said:
Denny said:
If I were you I would plant acre's and acre's of corn with your low cost's you should be able to finish your cattle and turn a huge profit.You should know that we as the general public have very little pull in what goes on in washington.

I do believe that our country should worry about itself alot more than some other country that includes trade,financial aid,military aid disaster aid etc etc etc.If it were up to me we would import very little if we have enough of our own why buy more thats about as smart as having 3 gallons of milk in my fridge then buying more.

If I hated a country as much as you come across to I would'nt want to sell them anything.

I don't hate any country, I only hate liers, thieves, racisists and bigots. anywhere. And I don't need your advice on how to handle my cattle I'm doing just fine, operating in a peaceful nation. I don't care if The US closes the border to Mexican imports or not, I'll sell my cattle and live just fine. I and my neighbors are true property owners not the bankers. We can make due with much less and still have time for an afternoon siesta.

Ok..You are confusing the Hell outta me....

First it is "This is horrible that the COOL has killed my market"...Actually labeling the Country of Origin....

Then it is , "Nobody cares where it comes from"..Ummm..If nobody cares where it comes from, how is it going to kill you market????

Then it is, "Ooops, I was wrong"..... Ok,,,,We all make mistakes

Then it is, "I don't need your country...Me and My Nieghbors don't need you or your market"..... Ummm..Refer to your original post. It is Prety easy to say you can get along without the United States when your calves are being bought and you have a market.....

Wikpedia is going to use you as the new definition of "Flip Flop"

PPRM

I think it is funny that you all think you are actually so important that you have an effect on the packer industry let alone the government. :lol: :lol: LMFAO

I highly doubt that anyone with any influence would be posting 10's of thousands of times on this board.
No offence Macon, this is a great forum.

WAFJ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ranchero, maybe I jumped the gun-- no pun intended! I understand sometimes we all say things that come across misunderstood, no offense taken.

Spam, Still Mystery Meat, Escapes Food-Label Rules (Update2)

By Alan Bjerga and Tony C. Dreibus

Sept. 30 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. rules requiring meat and fresh produce to be labeled by national origin are falling short of lawmakers' aims, leaving shoppers in the dark about where mixed vegetables, steaks and Spam come from, some lawmakers say.

Six years after being adopted by Congress, country-of- origin labeling takes effect today. Concern about unsafe imports from China and Canada helped overcome food industry efforts to delay the measures. They will cost companies $2.5 billion in the first year, with retailers spending more to market beef, pork and lamb, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says. Industry groups say expenses will be even higher.

Some lawmakers and consumer advocates say loopholes will let meatpackers blur the distinction between foreign and domestic meat. Mixed vegetables are exempt from the requirements, as are processed foods ranging from roasted peanuts to Spam, the canned luncheon meat made by Hormel Foods Corp. More regulations may be needed, the lawmakers say.

``USDA may be trying to dodge congressional intent,'' said Representative Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut, the Democrat who heads the House subcommittee that oversees the department's funding. Last week 31 senators, including Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, wrote Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer calling for more restrictive meat-labeling rules.

Too Early for Changes?

It's too early to consider changes to the new rules, according to Mark Dopp, a lobbyist for the American Meat Institute, whose members include Tyson Foods Inc. and Kraft Foods Inc. ``We don't know how the markets will react; we don't know how the consumers will react,'' Dopp said.

The USDA, which today ended the public comment period on the rules, will continue to seek feedback from shoppers and companies and may consider making changes to the program later this year, Bruce Knight, the department's undersecretary for marketing, said on a conference call with reporters.

Country-of-origin labeling, or COOL, is a longtime goal of U.S. farmers and ranchers convinced that identifying imported food may encourage manufacturers to use more U.S. product. On Sept. 24, Smithfield Foods Inc. said it will slaughter only domestic pigs at its U.S. plants, partly because of the new program.

Favored by Consumers

Consumers also favor the changes, according to a survey conducted last year by Utica, New York-based Zogby International. Ninety percent said they think the labels will help them make safer food choices. Only 5 percent opposed the new rules.

Some companies have started providing information voluntarily. More than 50 percent of fruit and vegetable products already carry origin labels, according to the United Fresh Produce Association in Washington. Austin, Minnesota- based Hormel declined to comment on how it may label Spam, which the USDA said is exempt from COOL.

Meat companies have opposed COOL, saying it will result in additional expenses for labor, labels and changes to facilities needed to separate foreign and domestic products. They also argue that the government already inspects imported food.

``COOL is a bad thing for the livestock industry,'' said Ron Plain, an agricultural economist at the University of Missouri in Columbia. Meatpacking plants will pay ranchers less to make up for their own added costs, he said.

Delayed Implementation

Responding to such concerns, Congress pushed back implementation in 2004 and again in 2006, except for fish and shellfish, which came under the rules in 2005. Efforts to put COOL into effect finally succeeded after food scares involving some products from China and beef from Canada made it a safety issue.

The 2008 farm bill passed in June revived COOL, adding chicken, ginseng and more nuts to covered products including red meat and fresh produce. The USDA regulations implementing the law are upsetting many of COOL's longtime supporters.

Under the plan, steaks and other meat cuts may be labeled with multiple countries of origin. That practice was only intended for ground beef or animals raised in more than one country, said Senator Jon Tester, a Montana Democrat who once ran a butcher shop.

USDA `Disingenuous'

Putting U.S. beef under a multiple-country label defeats the marketing goals of COOL's supporters, Tom Buis, president of the National Farmers Union, the second-largest U.S. farmer group, said today in an interview. He said meatpackers may have influenced the USDA to undercut agreements between farmers and companies that got the labeling into the farm bill.

``It's disingenuous what USDA did,'' he said. ``If we need legislative changes to stop this, we will win in Congress. We have the votes.''

Representative DeLauro said she's concerned about exemptions for butchers, fish markets and small retailers. She also questions why separate bags of peas and carrots must be labeled by origin, while the same foods mixed in one bag don't need to be.

``This does not make sense,'' DeLauro said.

USDA guidelines exempting mixtures and processed foods are based on past legislation and the fish and shellfish label requirements, said Lloyd Day, who heads the USDA agency that made the rule.

Consumers may not notice much difference immediately. The USDA is giving retailers and manufacturers six months before enforcing the rules, allowing them time to sell old inventory and adjust their systems. After that, businesses may be fined $1,000 per violation.

To contact the reporters on this story: Alan Bjerga in Washington at [email protected]; Tony C. Dreibus in Chicago at [email protected].

Last Updated: September 30, 2008 14:02 EDT

COOL, or, Country of Origin Labelling, is shaping up to be a hog-tying nightmare for anyone selling imported meat
UPDATED: 2008-10-14 01:16:00 MST

By MICHAEL PLATT

Canada, when it comes to beef, is a dirty word.

At least that's the fear of cattle producers in Alberta and other provinces, as the words "Product of Canada" are pasted on every Canadian meat product sold in U.S. grocery stores.

"We certainly have concerns -- this is the kind of barrier to trade that can affect our competitiveness," said Travis Toews, chair of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association Foreign Trade committee.

"In the long term, it could aid in the decline of the entire industry."

It's a rancher's nightmare, called mandatory Country of Origin Labelling, or COOL.

It became U.S. law on Oct. 1, and no one north or south of the 49th is quite sure how the American consumer will react to seeing a "Canada" or "Mexico" sticker on their meat.

There's no proof that a shopper will shun an otherwise excellent steak just because it comes from a country tainted by BSE, or that pork from outside the U.S. will be viewed with suspicion. And there's no proof Americans will feel patriotic pride while shopping for groceries, choosing country over quality. But there is the assumption -- especially among those who supply the meat to the U.S market and are now forced to label it.

The early prognosis for Canada's meat industry is grim. The two largest buyers of Canadian hogs have already imposed major restrictions on Canadian pork. Smithfield says it will no longer buy bacon hogs from Canada, while Hormel Foods says it will only use Canadian hogs raised in the U.S. Toews said a similar situation is playing out in the cattle industry, with at least one major U.S. importer already restricting Canadian cattle processing to a single plant, and even then only on certain days, at certain hours.

There's concern over how the shopper may react, and then there are the logistics, with red tape and endless regulations hog-tying anyone who wants to sell imported meat, or other imported products, including fish and perishable agricultural commodities.

It's a bureaucratic headache expected to cost consumers an extra US$2.5 billion in its first year alone, which will certainly be passed on as a price increase.

COOL forces processors to determine where an animal was born, where it was fed, and what percentage of its meat may end up in a package of ground beef, for example.

The result is a label reading "Product of the United States & Canada" if the animal was born in the U.S. or Canada and fed and slaughtered in U.S, or "Product of Canada & United States" if it was fed in Canada and U.S. slaughtered.

And so on.

Toews says some buyers are avoiding imported meat just to stay clear of the hassle.

"When there are plants in the U.S. which no longer kill Canadian cattle, buyers become hesitant, because they have a reduced number of options," he said.

COOL has been a long time in the making, taking six years to become law. The U.S. Congress first passed COOL in 2002, but resistance from food companies meant only fish and seafood ended up with labels -- until now.

Both the Cattlemen's Association and the Canadian Pork Council are pressuring the Canadian government to challenge COOL under the free trade act, and World Trade Organization rules.

Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach has said he will also fight against food labelling, saying the supposed move towards consumer safety and knowledge is a thinly disguised attempt to keep Alberta at bay, after U.S. ranchers lost their post-BSE battle to block Canada's beef.

Ted Haney, president of the Canadian Beef Export Federation, agrees, and he slammed COOL as protectionist legislation that won't survive an international challenge.

"The bottom line is, it's doubtful COOL will stand up to NAFTA or a WTO test. It's clearly a protectionist move by a certain element in their industry, playing to consumer nationalism.

"It's a mess."

PORKER said:
COOL, or, Country of Origin Labelling, is shaping up to be a hog-tying nightmare for anyone selling imported meat
UPDATED: 2008-10-14 01:16:00 MST

By MICHAEL PLATT

Canada, when it comes to beef, is a dirty word.

At least that's the fear of cattle producers in Alberta and other provinces, as the words "Product of Canada" are pasted on every Canadian meat product sold in U.S. grocery stores.

"We certainly have concerns -- this is the kind of barrier to trade that can affect our competitiveness," said Travis Toews, chair of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association Foreign Trade committee.

"In the long term, it could aid in the decline of the entire industry."

It's a rancher's nightmare, called mandatory Country of Origin Labelling, or COOL.

It became U.S. law on Oct. 1, and no one north or south of the 49th is quite sure how the American consumer will react to seeing a "Canada" or "Mexico" sticker on their meat.

There's no proof that a shopper will shun an otherwise excellent steak just because it comes from a country tainted by BSE, or that pork from outside the U.S. will be viewed with suspicion. And there's no proof Americans will feel patriotic pride while shopping for groceries, choosing country over quality. But there is the assumption -- especially among those who supply the meat to the U.S market and are now forced to label it.

The early prognosis for Canada's meat industry is grim. The two largest buyers of Canadian hogs have already imposed major restrictions on Canadian pork. Smithfield says it will no longer buy bacon hogs from Canada, while Hormel Foods says it will only use Canadian hogs raised in the U.S. Toews said a similar situation is playing out in the cattle industry, with at least one major U.S. importer already restricting Canadian cattle processing to a single plant, and even then only on certain days, at certain hours.

There's concern over how the shopper may react, and then there are the logistics, with red tape and endless regulations hog-tying anyone who wants to sell imported meat, or other imported products, including fish and perishable agricultural commodities.

It's a bureaucratic headache expected to cost consumers an extra US$2.5 billion in its first year alone, which will certainly be passed on as a price increase.

COOL forces processors to determine where an animal was born, where it was fed, and what percentage of its meat may end up in a package of ground beef, for example.

The result is a label reading "Product of the United States & Canada" if the animal was born in the U.S. or Canada and fed and slaughtered in U.S, or "Product of Canada & United States" if it was fed in Canada and U.S. slaughtered.

And so on.

Toews says some buyers are avoiding imported meat just to stay clear of the hassle.

"When there are plants in the U.S. which no longer kill Canadian cattle, buyers become hesitant, because they have a reduced number of options," he said.

COOL has been a long time in the making, taking six years to become law. The U.S. Congress first passed COOL in 2002, but resistance from food companies meant only fish and seafood ended up with labels -- until now.

Both the Cattlemen's Association and the Canadian Pork Council are pressuring the Canadian government to challenge COOL under the free trade act, and World Trade Organization rules.

Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach has said he will also fight against food labelling, saying the supposed move towards consumer safety and knowledge is a thinly disguised attempt to keep Alberta at bay, after U.S. ranchers lost their post-BSE battle to block Canada's beef.

Ted Haney, president of the Canadian Beef Export Federation, agrees, and he slammed COOL as protectionist legislation that won't survive an international challenge.

"The bottom line is, it's doubtful COOL will stand up to NAFTA or a WTO test. It's clearly a protectionist move by a certain element in their industry, playing to consumer nationalism.

"It's a mess."
So this guy wants us to believe that Canadian producers want to hid the identity of their beef and pork!?? What it really shows is that the large packers will change their marketing/buying practices to hurt Canadian producers in an effort to change the law. The idea of stopping a country from labeling imported product by country of origin will never happen...it IS largely an accepted practice throughout the world, except for a few products in North America(the J-list).

Tyson and Cargill are in a win/win...they can force down the price of Canadian product(because they are the major outlet for that product) whether they get any action on the law or not. Put simply, they are using USA COOL law phobia to expand their margin on Canadian product! Remember, they can send all imported product to the H & R or processed market and not have to label or cost them one red cent.

When are producers going to open their eyes to the real problem?

That is quite right. When I saw this article ,It was a automatic post.

The Quote;There's concern over how the shopper may react, and then there are the logistics, with red tape and endless regulations hog-tying anyone who wants to sell imported meat, or other imported products, including fish and perishable agricultural commodities.

The Consumer just needs to know wheather the Canadian product was imported into Canada to be resold back into the US !

Like Chinese Honey that says its Canadian Honey !!!!

I read an article yesterday that said the Canadian government is in the process of documenting the damage done by COOL. Sounds like a preparation for a trade challenge to me.

The bottom line is that COOL is a violation of NAFTA. Plain and simple. :!: :!:

NAFTA, and the WTO both state, that once a product has been substantially altered in one country, it becomes a product of that country. You signed on, and so did we. We sell you cattle. You turn around and sell beef. According to the trade agreements these are two different commodities.

If that's not acceptable, then re-open NAFTA and we can also discuss other subjects like oil and water. There are lots of people up here who'd love to do just that.

Does it not bother anyone that the U.S. has become well known for not living up to it's word? :? :? Does it not bother anyone that the U.S. has not cared about whether or not it has credibility in it's international agreements? That it can't be trusted? :? :? Whatever happened to the concept of honour? :?

And just because OT didn't personally sign his name to the agreements it doesn't mean they aren't valid. :wink: :wink:

Kato said:
I read an article yesterday that said the Canadian government is in the process of documenting the damage done by COOL. Sounds like a preparation for a trade challenge to me.

NAFTA, and the WTO both state, that once a product has been substantially altered in one country, it becomes a product of that country. You signed on, and so did we. We sell you cattle. You turn around and sell beef. According to the trade agreements these are two different commodities.

If that's not acceptable, then re-open NAFTA and we can also discuss other subjects like oil and water. There are lots of people up here who'd love to do just that.

Does it not bother anyone that the U.S. has become well known for not living up to it's word? :? :? Does it not bother anyone that the U.S. has not cared about whether or not it has credibility in it's international agreements? That it can't be trusted? :? :? Whatever happened to the concept of honour? :?

And just because OT didn't personally sign his name to the agreements it doesn't mean they aren't valid. :wink: :wink:
So this guy wants us to believe that Canadian producers want to hid the identity of their beef and pork!??
Do you?

RobertMac said:
Kato said:

So this guy wants us to believe that Canadian producers want to hid the identity of their beef and pork!??
Do you?

RobertMac, I can't be sure what tone accompanies your question. For the most part, your posts show you to be a fairly sound thinker whose approach to business sets you aprt from the herd, so to speak. Therefore, I do not want to think that your question is given in less than an honest and open curiosity.

Thus, assuming that it is such, in reply to your question, I think it has been made amply clear in the past that our beef and pork can openly and proudly bear a Canadian flag without suffering repercussions based on quality and consumer satisfaction.

The problems with COOL start only when it causes unfair and unnecessary costs to us as Canadian producers. It other words, trade barriers. More simply put - protectionism.

Like it or not, the U.S. has become an inefficient, high-cost producer. So, steps like COOL are merely a flimsy tactic to hinder the import of a superior product from a supplier that has a better, more open and accountable production system and record.

Don't you hate it when someone beats you at your own game? It makes you resort to childish games like COOL.

If you inclined to disagree with this assessment, read Porker's submission below:

PORKER said:
Effective April 23, 2009, the FDA has banned a series of cattle products from all animal feed and pet food in attempt to prevent the spread of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), also known as mad cow disease.

BSE is a fatal, degenerative disease of the brain cause by defective proteins known as prions. These prions can be acquired by consuming the flesh of infected animals and lead to a similarly fatal human version of the disease, known as variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

Federal regulations already prohibit using ruminant protein as part of the feed given to other ruminants. These measures were instituted in the United States and Canada in 1997, after a mad cow outbreak in the United Kingdom.

Ruminants are animals that chew their cud, such as cows, sheep and goats.

Other U.S. protections against mad cow disease include a partial ban on slaughtering cattle that cannot stand, which are more likely to be infected with BSE, and a requirement that meatpackers remove the spine and brain from all slaughtered animals. (Ridiculously ineffective - JR) These are the body parts most likely to carry mad-cow-causing prions. (BS...it has been found is all parts of the infected cows. - JR)

The new regulations expand these rules in an attempt to keep BSE prions out of any animal feed, out of awareness that ruminant and non-ruminant feed might contaminate each other during the manufacturing or transport processes, or that ruminants might accidentally be given the wrong kind of feed.

Any animal feed will now be prohibited from containing any materials from a BSE-infected animal; the brain or spinal cord of any cattle aged 30 months or older; materials from any cattle that are aged 30 months or older, have not had their spinal cords removed and have not been inspected and approved for human consumption; tallow containing more than 0.15 percent insoluble purities, or that has been derived from any other prohibited materials; and mechanically separated beef derived from any other prohibited materials. (More absurd 'regulations'. There are so many BSE downer cows killed and processed in the US each year, it's a joke. And the joke's on us, as always. - JR)

Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD
Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural Economics
Univ of West Indies

RobertMac, didn't you know that Canadian and Mexican cattle and beef coming into the USA are labeled at time of import?

Isn't COOL most likely a 'problem' for Canadian and Mexican producers only when it is used as a reason not to buy their product BECAUSE of COOL rules making it a time consuming (meaning money lost forpackers and fabricators of meat) process for getting correct labels on meats from multiple countries in our US plants, rather than any reluctance you seem to imply.

burnt, you may not have the accurate story on COOL origins and reason for being made law. It clearly came about when R-CALF wanted borders closed to imported cattle because they incorrectly assumed imposts of Canadian cattle in particular, brought prices down for US raised cattle, especially in the northern tier of states.

They ignored the fact that many US born cattle went to feedlots and packing plants in Canada for processing and were probably returned 'home' along with some Canadian raised beef.

R-CALF found some vulnerable Congressmen and Senators and pushed their bill through, unwieldy though it was. They were told from the start that it probably didn't fit rules of trade, but bulled their way ahead with it.

The one good thing to come out of it was that it played a part in Tom Daschle losing his race for another Senate term. Anytime we can 'retire' a 'career politician' with a liberal record such as his, life gets better for people who work for their living, IMO.

mrj

Sandhusker: "They can keep beef seperate according to country of origin easily, they're already doing it. Can you keep alfalfa seperate from rye? It's the same thing - not very hard."

I see you're just as ignorant of the beef processing industry as you always were. Unfortunately, rather than educate yourself by actually learning about beef fabrication and beef marketing, you continue to bathe in your own ignorance by listening to fellow packer blamers.

Packer's can't keep track of beef origination EASILY when they process beef from Canada, Mexico, and the US unless all the cattle that enter that plant are traceable with an enforceable traceback system. THE VERY THING YOU R-CALFERS OPPOSED IN THE RECENT FARM BILL.

Don't take my word for it, go back and read the testimonies from packers and retailers of every shape and size during "M"COOL testimony. But hey, you know more about beef labeling then those who label beef don't you????

The entire "M"COOL debate is a moot point anyway. R-CALF and their blind followers have sabotaged their own law by the inclusion of wording in the recent Farm Bill that negates a traceback system. By doing so, they have allowed packers who market untraceable beef and process cattle from various countries to label their beef according to the countries THEY MIGHT have originated from. Typical emotionally driven R-CALF!

Are you keeping up bank sweeper?

Here, let me sum it up for you. If a packing company processes beef from the US - CAN - and Mexico, and the beef cannot be traced to it's origination thanks to R-CALF deregulating their own flawed law, these processers will now market their beef CAN-USA-MEX.

In other words, beef that had an 90% chance of originating in the US can now be labled CAN-USA-MEX thanks to blind followers like you who don't ever stop to consider the consequences of your nearsighted actions.

First you insisted that beef be "born, raised, and processed in the US" in order to be labeled as US Beef. Then when the beef processing industry told you this would require a traceback system, you opposed it although you support brand inspection so you oppose what you support. Then you deregulate "M"COOL so there isn't a mandatory traceback. The end result was a "USA-CAN-MEX" label in order for packers to follow your stupid law. Unfortunately, the R-CALFers, being the bonafide blamers they are, will blame someone else rather than take responsibility for their own flawed law.

Sandhusker: "If you want to talk freedom, I think a basic freedom is knowing where the hell your food comes from."

YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T WANT CONSUMERS TO KNOW WHERE THEIR BEEF COMES FROM unless you opposed R-CALF's "M-COOL" deregulation in the latest farm bill. Fat chance of that considering your history of blindly following R-CALF's every move. If you suported the deregulation efforts so you wouldn't have an enforceable traceback system, you are a total hypocrite when you say you want consumers to know where their beef comes from.

Sandhusker: 'The reason the packers and their lobbyists were fighting COOL is because the consumer not knowing where their beef comes from allows them to play producers against each other - it lowers the price paid to all of us."

What a crock bank sweeper. If packers didn't want consumers to know where their beef comes from, they wouldn't be selling SOURCE VERIFIED BRANDED BEEF PRODUCTS.

I am going to fast for you aren't I?

The most unfortunate thing about you, OT, and other blind R-CALF followers is that you would rather listen to another packer blamer than conduct any research to find out the facts for yourself.

You ruined your own law Sandhusker because you didn't want to be held accountable for proving origination.

"CAN - MEX - USA" Choke on that label Sandhusker. You have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Leo McDonnell origated R-CALF and now they are suing him along with 5 other "JOHN DOES" (former R-CALF leaders). That's the organization you support Bank Sweeper!

MK wrote an excellent letter to the editor recently exposing R-CALF for what it really is. What a waste of producer dollars just so a few salebarn managers can keep a handful of faithful producers believing that they are the salvation of the industry when they are contributing to it's demise.

~SH~

Mrs.Greg said:
Sandhusker said:
Why is everything an attack on you? I don't understand that victim mentality. We want our own countrymen to eat our product, and it's an attack?

Do you understand the basic relationship on price of supply and demand?
You bet I do...you guys demand our boxed meat,we supply it.You get better priced meat for a pitance. :?

As for a victim....theres always a victim at the end of a bully. Thats just what your trying to do to both Canada and Mexico,bully us into submission.The thing is Sandy,whether you like it or not all three of our countrys are bound together,maybe try working together instead of the bully tactic.

All 3 countries are tied together hmmmmmmmmm.That's the very reason we want cool here untie the three and let the consumer pick if they pick your's fine.I have yet to see a Add for Canadian Beef.

RobertMac said:
mrj said:
RobertMac, didn't you know that Canadian and Mexican cattle and beef coming into the USA are labeled at time of import?
So why is there a problem continuing that label on to the consumer?

What more do Canadains have to to- or what more cost is infringed on them- it all their cattle is already identified- and labeled by ID tag and hot iron brand :???:

Why should anyone object to honest and open transparent labeling :???:

If the demand for the product is there (whichever country) it should be a benefit not a detriment....

SH Quote ; Here, let me sum it up for you. If a packing company processes beef from the US - CAN - and Mexico, and the beef cannot be traced to it's origination thanks to R-CALF deregulating their own flawed law, these processers will now market their beef CAN-USA-MEX.

In other words, beef that had an 90% chance of originating in the US can now be labled CAN-USA-MEX thanks to blind followers like you who don't ever stop to consider the consequences of your nearsighted actions.

First you insisted that beef be "born, raised, and processed in the US" in order to be labeled as US Beef. Then when the beef processing industry told you this would require a traceback system, you opposed it although you support brand inspection so you oppose what you support. Then you deregulate "M"COOL so there isn't a mandatory traceback. The end result was a "USA-CAN-MEX" label in order for packers to follow your stupid law. Unfortunately, the R-CALFers, being the bonafide blamers they are, will blame someone else rather than take responsibility for their own flawed law.

Affidavits with no tag numbers is causing unmarketable cattle and the blanket COOL label B . Consumers and Retailers are raising hell in the EASTERN US. about no TRACEABILITY on meat. In Mt Pleasant Michigan they want the breed ,country and state of origin. It won't happen with just a affidavit and no tag or database.

Burnt, "The problems with COOL start only when it causes unfair and unnecessary costs to us as Canadian producers. It other words, trade barriers. More simply put - protectionism."

What costs?

Kato said:

Why do you defend a system that depresses your prices, Kato?

Latest posts