• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cool Water

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
how do you folks in the south keep your tractors running cool when working them in the heat? mine have been running hot or boiling whenever the temp gets up there ( above 25 C ) which is nowhere near what your used to. and yes the rads are clean and full of coolant.

That's all we do, keep them clean and run a 50/50 mix or lots of times just to make up for when someone just's adds water and we don't know about it we will stay closer to 100%. Also make sure fan belts are tight. That's all we do. Oh yeah, make sure therostats aren't sticking.

hayguy said:
how do you folks in the south keep your tractors running cool when working them in the heat? mine have been running hot or boiling whenever the temp gets up there ( above 25 C ) which is nowhere near what your used to. and yes the rads are clean and full of coolant.

I had an Agco Allis 8630 for seventeen years. It had an air-cooled diesel engine, and always seemed to run hot. The only way we could get by on hot days was to have all the fins blown out clean, and also the air filters. It seemed like a fresh oil change helped it run cooler also.

Make sure your radiator is blown out clean.

I thought the radiators were all clean on my JD 4040 but after a good hour with a presure washer and the over heat problem was gone, just water and air wouldn't do it

4055 has two thermostats, side by side---one was stuck open, wouldn't warm up in winter---i imagine had it been stuck shut, would of influenced heating.

on anti-freeze, i think 50-50 is best freeze protection---and i think there's optimum mix for boiling? only other thing i can think of other than what's mentioned---rad can be dirty inside, might need to be 'rodded'?

also need to make sure the oil cooler is clean and not restricting flow.....same with AC coils.....but plain old dust can plug um up pretty fast.

Had a JD 4440 running hot last summer; new rad cap didn't help; cleaned exterior & checked everything possible including hoses several times. Was expecting to have to overhaul the engine but the rad finally sprung a leak. The rad was extremely corroded inside so was replaced with a new rad...now the tractor runs almost too cool even under a full load.

I'm with cowsense, very possible that your radiator cores are corroded/plugged on the inside. Went through that with an old Farmall 560 this summer. A new radiator and it runs cool, even on a day that is up near 100°.

thank-you all, pressure wased rad for half an hour or so and it seemed to help somewhat but it did get quite warm here today, around 30C and i was working it . am going to pull the fan and fan shroud off in the am so that i can get at the rad better with the pressure washer and go from there

thanks again

When you think you have it clean, spray it with a product called Hotsy and wash it again. You'll be surprised what else it still in there. :wink:

Latest posts