• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Couldn't get it to rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
all spring. But now it's haying time. Lots of good rains in the past 2 weeks. Corn and beans lovin' it. Tough to make good hay in Ontario in good corn and bean growing weather.

Started cutting yesterday, should be ready for Monday or Saturday at the earliest. But now the forecast is for rain Sunday and Monday.

Might end up wrapping what I have cut. Didn't want any wrapped hay this year. Can't bale and wrap on Saturday cuz wifey got us tickets to see the Jays vs. Phillies on Saturday (anniversary present for me!) Oh well, the sun is shining today and it's a rare June morning so we'll take it a day at a time. Sometimes life is a beautiful dilemma.

We got between 1 and 1.5 inches a week till the middle of may and nothing since.

I think I will fire up the road grader and re work all the roads in the pit - - - that almost always makes a gully washer come the next night.

Soapweed said:
Never turn down a rain; they are too hard to come by. We'd give anything for a rain right now. The grasshoppers need a drink. :?

I'm trying to help you out there. I cut all the hay that I can get off of this place, yesterday. Since I am going to small square it all, its going to set until tomorrow, so I'm giving the rain every chance.

All signs fail in dry weather. Unless it rains, my land that we only use to put up for hay will not get cut this year, first time ever.

I was out southwest of Fairbury, Nebraska, on Tuesday, setting out LOOMIX troughs for a good customer who has cattle everywhere. There are cracks in the ground over 2 feet deep there. My customer's uncle, who headquarters between Hebron and Deshler, called me to shut me off delivering to him. Without some rain in the next 30 days, he will begin selling off everything. Losing that account HURTS. The man has plenty of cow/calves, steers, & heifers.

If things don't change PDQ, we may all be looking for a new line of work. If the women ain't too picky, maybe I could pick up some extra bucks by pimping out Jiggsy. :shock:

The guys were in jiggys neighborhood a couple of weeks ago and it looked tough then.... Our winter wheat is done..(pun) :roll: Better rain for the spring wheat and corn..... Sunflowers as I walked this morning, I could row them..

Edited to add: I am soooo glad I threw a fit and fell in it.. Hubby was going to sell some hay last winter....

We are burnin' up. The foothills look like late August and the desert looks worse. :shock: Sure hope we all get some moisture in the near future and the folks trying to hay get some sun. :D You might need to ship that hay west Burnt! Can i get a discount cause we are such great pals? :lol: But if ya need money for your hay, you'd best sell it to somebody that has some. :wink:

leanin' H said:
We are burnin' up. The foothills look like late August and the desert looks worse. :shock: Sure hope we all get some moisture in the near future and the folks trying to hay get some sun. :D You might need to ship that hay west Burnt! Can i get a discount cause we are such great pals? :lol: But if ya need money for your hay, you'd best sell it to somebody that has some. :wink:

Hay is almost as scarce as hen's teeth here this year. Reports of 14 cents/lb. standing in the field, so . . .

gcreekrch said:
The ground is white here this morning. :roll:

We were going to seed our oats and peas today. :?

Frost or snow?

burnt said:
leanin' H said:

Hay is almost as scarce as hen's teeth here this year. Reports of 14 cents/lb. standing in the field, so . . .

gcreekrch said:
The ground is white here this morning. :roll:

We were going to seed our oats and peas today. :?

Frost or snow?

Snow, and still coming down. We don't even count the frost.

You know you should never complain when it rains,because you never know when it might stop and not start again.And i was trying to be like that for the last 3 years,but i am sick of the rain!!!! All it ever does is rain,rain,rain!!! 3.1 inchs on the weekend,another 1/10th on monday,1/4 inch on tuesday,wensday 2/10ths,and this morning i haven't even bothered to go out yet,because it is still raining and the yard is just one big lake again!!!And thats just the rain we have received this week,i'm not talking about all the rain in the previous weeks.The water table now is 3 feet from the from surface,people are pumping there basements steady now.I have pumped the corrals out 5 times already,hoping they would then dry enough that i could sort off another bunch of cattle to send to pasture.I finished pumping out the corrals yesterday afternoon,and now by the looks of the yard they will be full again,and our weather forecast is for basically rain until atleast wensday :mad: .All the potholes are now all drowned out,even the flat land is holding water on the surface now and everyday they just keep getting bigger.Well thats it for my rant,i sure wish i could send you guys that are so dry this rain,because we are sick of it up here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the anniversary! I hope you get your hay put up the way you want and have fun at the game! I never used to watch the weather....been looking it up 100 times a day now :D

Thank you, R A. I left the baling and gathering to our kids who aren't really kids anymore and we had a great time at the ballgame. Although the Rogers Center was hot, hot, HOT with the sun beating in there on 42,000 people.

But a great game with the Jays tying it up in the 8th and winning it in the 10th inning. Tomorrow for the sweep of the Phillies!

Came home and the bales are all in the yard ready for the wrapper early in the morning. And quite a few more than I expected so the army worms sure didn't get it all!

So a good day all around!

I've had my corn in for a couple weeks was ready before that but we had around 9 inches over a couple weeks prior to planting and I had to wait out the mud.Had 70 acres in May 7th and it looks a little roughbut it is'nt mine just some on land I leased out to a real corn farmer. We've had several smaller rains since and things look great. Anyone needs grass I could rent out another 75 pairs worth I had 25 pairs dropped off yesterday. We carried over 220 ton of hay and should have enough plus 300 ton extra this fall.I could use another 100 cows but with my new land debt my wife pulled the reins back a bit.We got rained on ai'ing cows today had 19 of 99 in heat today was quite pleased with that other than we had a 250# bull calf get stomped on and it ended up dieing tough break I guess.

They keep forecasting showers but so far we missed most. :?

My son got caught with a load of drilling mud on his truck as it rained at the pit 20 miles east of us enough that the trucks couldn't get in. Dust flying at home. :(

Hay crop is really short right around here. Guess it's been to cold and dry to grow alfalfa.

This evening we took a tour around the ranch looking at the hay. It's pretty dismal.
I doubt we even start the swather. :cry: The hay barley isn't gonna
make it either. We had 60% chance of rain yesterday and barely got
a sprinkle.
I think we are lucky to have pasture grass.
And of course the hay fields can be pastured--at least some good
will be gotten out of them. Three inches of moisture since last
July just can't grow much...next chance for rain is Tuesday. If we would
get an inch or so, it might help that barley hay.......then again it might
not...guess we won't have to worry about fuel cost putting it up...

Luckily our place isn't dependent on resevoirs for water because one of
the smaller ones was as dry as I've ever seen it. I took pictures so
I'll download them tomorrow and post some pictures.

Finally got rain here Thursday and Friday all total at the house was 1.90" but that was localized. Some of my pastures got anywhere from .50"-.90". But I will take it, we havent't had a good rain since May 10. But before that the last one was March 25. Good thing we did get this rain calling for 100 degrees for today and tomorrow with 20-25mph winds.

Pastures look bad and most of the wheat in our area will be cut by the 4th of July alot of combines will be out today. Useally were just getting a good start by then wheat is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule.

Our pond water is in very serious shape, we run wells and tanks on owned places but aren't as lucky at the rental farms.

We got almost an inch here at dawn and another couple tenths when we almost finished wrapping the bales. Kept us cooled off! The grazed paddocks are coming back nicely now. A lot of good hay put away in the previous 3 days.

Latest posts