• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Couple of Bull Calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BuckJones

Reaction score
Was asked to show bulls for Hivalley Limo this year. Went back and picked a couple of May born bull calves to try my hand at.

My favourite:
157009_10150102426160731_608600730_7843209_2662642_n.jpg

This guy hasn't got as much fur as I would like but:
148200_10150102426215731_608600730_7843210_1041485_n.jpg

Also picked out a '09 heifer that just calved two weeks ago. No pics of her though. :(

They are purebred Limos. Whattya think? ...pics are from September.

You guys........... Be nice.............. Buck can you get us some better pictures... Try and get the calf squared up... It looks like your standing on a slope shooting the photo... I would like to see more pictures before I put my two cents in......

gcreekrch said:
no nuts, no depth, and too far off the ground.

I hear ya. Comes up in our convos frequently. Herdsire has been replaced and AI'ing is in the works...I think even going to get some straws of the new bull "Bulletproof".

But guts? Time to educate me. Guts have always just been waste to me...it's why I like Limos. :p So why are guts a good thing?

Thanks.

BuckJones said:
gcreekrch said:
no nuts, no depth, and too far off the ground.

I hear ya. Comes up in our convos frequently. Herdsire has been replaced and AI'ing is in the works...I think even going to get some straws of the new bull "Bulletproof".

But guts? Time to educate me. Guts have always just been waste to me...it's why I like Limos. :p So why are guts a good thing?

Thanks.

A tight gutted range cow can't consume enough average to poor quality roughage to look after herself AND her calf AND breed back consistantly.

Those guts also allow a feeder steer to consume more and gain faster.

A load of grass steers we sold last spring gained 2.8 lbs per day for their new owners on hard grass pasture. Don't know of many showy type cattle that will perform like that on grass alone.

The bottom calf is a pretty good ox. Enough guts on the bottom one for me as a calf. Lets not forget the rhyme , guts , nuts, and butts. I own some angus and I don't own any limousine but muscle is important and some of our black cattle are needing some improvment in that area. As a terminal sire, the bottom calf could work for me. Remember the calves are 4 mos old, There won't be much testicle development.

FWIW - I like guts on cows, but I am pretty convinced that generally speaking feed efficiency is related to being more thin gutted, and that yield is as well. If you look at a lot of the really "carcass" cattle they appear similar in almost every breed.
That has always been one of the knocks on LM cattle. They are very feed efficient, but can't eat enough, so grow a little slower hence more days on feed and higher yardage costs. How important that is changes as the cost of yardage vs. the cost of feed ratio changes.
There are some exceptions...
BTW - they are OK for LM type, and probably would cross nice on AN cows, or would fit the Eastern Canada market pretty well.

It's always tough to tell what they will turn out like at the age they are now. Some really blossom and some make a u-turn the wrong direction. Show us how they look as yearlings. :D And remember, good genetics will be there if you start with good ones. Even a bull that might not win a beauty contest still has the genetic makeup of how he was bred. Some homely bulls throw gorgeous calves. Thanks for showing us what you are up to. Keep the pictures coming. Thanks again! :D

leanin' H said:
It's always tough to tell what they will turn out like at the age they are now. Some really blossom and some make a u-turn the wrong direction. Show us how they look as yearlings. :D And remember, good genetics will be there if you start with good ones. Even a bull that might not win a beauty contest still has the genetic makeup of how he was bred. Some homely bulls throw gorgeous calves. Thanks for showing us what you are up to. Keep the pictures coming. Thanks again! :D

Does your homely bull theory transfer to humans. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:

I am sure my kids thank god that it does... :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:

Heck, I am living proof of that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Have you seen my kids? :lol: :lol:

Don't take it too hard Buck. I posted the pic below of one of my favorite young bulls and these guys hammered me...even though he's got nuts, guts, and short legs. But it's okay, I'll show 'em in a couple of years when he's really reached his prime. :D

100_1932.jpg

You gotta remember that on this board if it's not British it wont impress many folks :wink: . I expect that bull will have lots of middle by the time he matures a bit, and he's got good hip, length and muscle. If that cow in the back ground is an example of what the females in that herd look like then that bull will be fine.

-edit- I should point out that it is the second bull I'm referring to.... with regards to the first one, I may have to agree with gcreek at this point :wink:

hey buckjones, i saw hivalleys bulls this last spring at the williams lake bull sale.in the limo divisoin the only thing they were lacking was experience on the management side.they were not overfed or fitted as well as the competition from the north. as the price reflected.the limo's had a succesful sale in that they had 6 bulls entered/and 6 bulls went out to breed cows. the biggest stumbling block is lack of market share based on past performance.temperment&fertility have been problems.

Latest posts