• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cow calling contest

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Guess I must have been the winner, as I was the only one entered and all the cows came. :wink:

Cowsareacomin.jpg

Cows are coming to the call
WilsonLakeinthebackground.jpg

Wilson Lake in the background
Collectionofcows.jpg

Collection of cows
Abevyofbovines.jpg

A bevy of bovines
Cowsarecurious.jpg

Curiousity could kill a cow
Circleofcows.jpg

Bulls-eye. Circle of cows. Guess I won the contest because the mission was accomplished. :)

Hey Soap, I'm kind'a getting tired of the cattle in the snow pictures, not that they ain't good, but getting a little tedious. How about some in green grass? :wink: With no snow at all! :lol:

Cowpuncher said:
Soapweed

I'm betting you don't count that nice looking herd every day!!

CP

There are 224 cows in that bunch. 33 of them are red. Today, it looked like they were all in one group so I just counted the red ones. All 33 of them were there, so I "assumed" the whole herd was there and fed accordingly.

It is my understanding that a few black sheep were turned into big flocks of white sheep for that reason. Usually if there were any black sheep missing they were in about the same proportion as the white sheep. As an example, if there were 500 sheep in the band, and 50 were black, if five black sheep were missing probably about 45 white sheep were also not present. Amazingly enough, this system is pretty accurate.

Yup, looks like you got that cow calling down pat soap,I bet you dont hafta do much calling,bet those ole girls here that truck before they see it,they are in good shape it's gonna be interesting to see what they look like in late winter/early spring,hope we dont have a bad winter listening to the weather people today,and they said dry & mild winter...............good luck

A lot of my pastures are by roads, the cows recognize the sound of my diesel pickup, other ones go by and they barely lift thier heads, kinda funny to watch,

PPRM

It looks like we might have to get used to the catle in the snow ictures as winter looks to be here for good. Here in SD we are up to about 10 inches and counting. The last three years have spoiled me so bad that I need some time to adjust. :wink:

Faster horses said:
Haymaker, your remark about winter suprised me. You all don't worry about winter do ya?

No,not like yall do but,it can and will get cold down here,add some wind and you have the makeings for a miserable day.
I cant remember what year it was we got 13 inches of snow,these ole cows are'nt geared to that kinda weather,lot's of folks lost some cows in that spell,anything with age or weak died,I lost a few old cows myself,I posted earlier about the time I was out looking at an old cow that died in that snow storm,buzzards circling after I run them off I was standing there looking around with my back turned to her wondering where would be a good place to drag her off with my tractor,when a big black buzzard flew outa her behind :shock: :shock: scairt the hell outa me :D ............good luck

Faster horses said:
Haymaker, your remark about winter suprised me. You all don't worry about winter do ya?

Cold wet rain is bad on a cow. She loses more body temp when it's raining than when it's snowing. My cows seem to enjoy a cold crisp morning, but stand around all "Bowed Up" when it's 40 degrees and raining.

Yeap here too, normal winters for us is rain from October thru March, almost constant. Mud, muck, nothin drys out for months. I dont know that much about what affects "montana winters" have on cows, but cold n wet at 40 degrees seems to take it's toll. ya just hafta keep pourin the feed to em, and hope they got sense enuff to get in the trees for shelter against the wind. I know they can loose body condition real quick in that kinda weather if ya dont pay close attention to what they are gettin to eat.
Makes me so mad to see fields of cows in the rain and mud with no hay in sight. Here you can usually keep most of em from loosin any condition as long as ya keep the hay out, if it's good hay. But some years ya hafta cube em as well.

WB said:
It looks like we might have to get used to the catle in the snow ictures as winter looks to be here for good. Here in SD we are up to about 10 inches and counting. The last three years have spoiled me so bad that I need some time to adjust. :wink:

Where in SD? We have about 3 to 5 inches here where I live.

We have had about 14inches here. Monday we got about 1/2 inch of freezing rain and then 8inches of snow and 30-45MPH wind. That is hard on cows but I didn't even lose a fall calf.

I don't think I would make a good rancher - - - a good farmer with cows OK but I bring my huge (32 head of brood cows plus calves and replacement heifers) into a 22 acre woods for the winter with a 100' X 50' concrete sloped floor and a loafing shed (100' wide X 20' deep)at the top big enough they can easily get out of the rain.

They are fed about 4# each per day of corn screenings I get free at the local elevator ( I used to pay 25% of corn price but very few people around here have fences any more let alone livestock so the give them to me to get rid of them.) Half of this ( 4 buckets ) each morning and half at dinner time in the loafing shed. Very easy to count as I built the feeder in the wall dividing the loafing shed from equipment storage.

I'm sure your cows are just fine but I would have to get used to that way of life. I guess it is how you were raised. My first memories of cattle were at my uncle's farm and the cows ( Angus) were brought into individual box stalls in the basement of a bank barn all fall and winter. If I remember right he kept about 15 and always milked one of them.

I got rassed again this morning as another cattle raiser came to see me and I was at the barn feeding when he showed up. Could not believe I was checking a cow's foot by just walking up to her and petting her a minute then picking the foot up. She seems a little tender on it but I can't find anything wrong. Might have slipped on ice - - I'll keep an eye on her and if she doesn't improve on her own will decide what to do next.

Latest posts