• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cows eating to much mineral

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tlakota

Reaction score
I just got switched to the vigortone mineral program...previously i was on kaydee...when i was on kaydee cows were eating about 4 ounces a day...now that im on figortone they are eating about 12...i cant keep it in front of them...i talked to my dealer and he said add about 5 pounds of salt...with the salt in the vigortone mineral and the stuff i added i am pushing 30%...and they seem to be eating it just as quick...its only been a day so its tough to tell...what do you guys say the problem is...and by the way im n the 3v2 ctc

Mine did the same thing but then they backed off.After 6 month's they averaged 3 oz. per day.

I switched from kaydee to vigortone about a year ago. Cows ate it like crazy but after about two or three weeks of it they backed off. It got a little expensive but since they've been on it they have never looked better, and calving this year was a breeze, no problems at all.

200 cows ate some where around 12 bags a week then 9 and so on but at the end of 6 months feeding it the way Faster Horses recomends they were right at 3 oz per head per day average.Jan 1st till July 1st.

did you ever mix any more salt in it or did you just keep pouring it to him cuz it is getting awful expensive with them eatin this much

denny, i justs looked at your website and would be interested in a calving ease bull if you might have one...probably need 1 or 2

tlakota said:
did you ever mix any more salt in it or did you just keep pouring it to him cuz it is getting awful expensive with them eatin this much

Anymore if they get to hogging it down I will load them up on salt 1/2 and 1/2 sometimes reality has to kick in.I keep free choice salt out all the time now.No sense in going broke to keep a mineral company going :wink:

Most of the better ranchers here all mix their mineral 1/2 and 1/2 been done that way for years and they wean 650# average calves so they know what's what.

tlakota said:
denny, i justs looked at your website and would be interested in a calving ease bull if you might have one...probably need 1 or 2

There are several good calveing ease bulls you can see my catalog on the bottom of my bulls for sale page there is a link to the catalog.Otherwise I could send you one out.

Hi tlakota...I just caught this thread.

What else are you feeding your cattle? And how much?

Cattle will overeat mineral trying to meet their dry matter needs.
And they will overeat trying to bring the copper stores in their liver
up to par. Which is what I think is happening in your situation. I really think they will back off to what they are supposed to eat fairly soon.

In order to fully assess the situation, though, I do need to know what the other feedstuffs are and how much you are feeding.

How good is the feed (in terms of quality) and have you changed feed since you changed mineral?

I am reminding those interested that quality and quantity of forage dictates mineral consumption.

Hope this helps and I look forward to your reply.

i have been feeding about 18 pounds of really good alfalfa and then about 12-14 of cornstalks...this is pretty much what i was feeding on my old program and they were eating about 3-4 ounces of the kaydee stuff...i made sure tonite to put out more then enough cornstalks to fill them up...they usually eat a lil bit of the alfalfa and then go for the cornstalks before the eat all the alfalfa...they are in decent shape so i dont know what the deal is....my dealer just told me to start mixing in 5lbs of salt and see what that does

I keep salt seperate most the time. Dealer is delivering a ton of Vig Min this morning. He said he`s going over to your country in Aberdeen to get his back straightend out.

We have been feeding Vigortone for about a year. Our cows seem to be enjoying and doing well on this mineral program.

The two products we have used are 3V2S and 3V4S.

3V2S is about 20% salt, 15% calcium, 7% phosphorus, and 1% magnesium.

3V4S is about 6% salt, 21% calcium, 6% phosphorus, and 1% magnesium.

What baffles me is that the product containing 20% salt is about $65 per ton more expensive than the product that is only 6% salt. I love the convenience of the 3V2S, but my Scotch ancestry tells me that the 3V4S product is by far the best buy. We put two bags of 3V4S and one bag of salt together. Salt can be purchased locally for $92 per ton. Even though it is handier to just put out 3V2S straight, I feel the cows benefit just as well by getting the cheaper 3V4S product with me adding the salt.

If your feeding any way-why not just feed 3 ounces per day if they're overconsuming. That letting a few huundred head of cattle pig out till consumption levels out just isn't thrifty.

You`re right Soapweed. This time I had him drop off 3V2S and it was $826 a ton, he said it was going to increase at least $100 next delivery. I didn`t ask him the price of 3V4S.

EJ said:
You`re right Soapweed. This time I had him drop off 3V2S and it was $826 a ton, he said it was going to increase at least $100 next delivery. I didn`t ask him the price of 3V4S.

I think its pretty much across the board with all minerals...When I was in town the other day- I priced the tubs of smartlic mineral with IGR in them- and they told me that what they had in stock (8 or 9 tubs) was the last they could sell at that price- the next load coming in, everything was going up 10%....

I'm a thinking if this keeps going this way some spoiled old cows are going to have to start learning to live like their grandmothers did--eating just grass- licking a salt block- and using their tails to take care of flys.... :wink:

soapweed
with mixing 1 bag of salt with 2 bags of 3v4 are they eating in pretty good still? That is exactly what i saw whe i saw the prices...your paying more money for something with 3 times as much as salt...do you get it with ctc or igr and if you do can you see any benefits? Also whats your total cow breedback and percentage of cows bred in the first cycle...i sure hope this can take care of some of my problems.

Oldtimer said:
EJ said:

I think its pretty much across the board with all minerals...When I was in town the other day- I priced the tubs of smartlic mineral with IGR in them- and they told me that what they had in stock (8 or 9 tubs) was the last they could sell at that price- the next load coming in, everything was going up 10%....

I'm a thinking if this keeps going this way some spoiled old cows are going to have to start learning to live like their grandmothers did--eating just grass- licking a salt block- and using their tails to take care of flys.... :wink:

I`m with you there OT. A friend that doens`t live to far doesn`t feed anything but salt and seems to get along.

I'm not Soapweed, tlakota, but I can tell you that when you are on the program you will see breedback in the first cycle above 85% and as high as 93% as reported by our customers (some who read this forum) and can substantiate what I posted.

Trouble with putting out 3 oz at a time for the cattle is that the hogs eat it and the more timid cattle don't get any.

I called my Area Sales Manager about this and here is what he had to say.
He says you didn't get trace mineral (copper and zinc mostly) absorption out of the Kaydee mineral and your cows are trying to replenish the copper and zinc (trace minerals) in their liver. Right now it is important not to let the cattle run out of mineral. When the are trying to build liver stores, every time they run out, they have to start over again. What you are experiencing is not unusual when switching to Vigortone mineral. Many times (not in your case since you know what your cows were eating on the other mineral) the cows were eating hardly any mineral and when they started on Vigortone, the ate it well. When figuring consumption in this situation, we find that many times they aren't overeating the Vigortone, it is just that they weren't eating enough of the other product.

There are some things to do to that might help this until they get their liver store up where they need to be.
How many feeders do you have out? You might increase the feeders which will change consumption. It's interesting that if you add feeders, cattle will cut back on the mineral consumption.

Also, where are your feeders located? If they are close to water, move them further away from water. There are so many varibles that I can't see unless I was there.

I hear you all about the price of the mineral. All mineral has gone up because of the demand and lack of supply for phosphorus, etc.
Di cal has gone from $240 ton (raw) to over $1000/ton.

Soapweed, the difference in cost between 3V2S and 3V4S is mostly because of the 1% difference in phosphorus, not the salt. Phos is the highest priced ingredient in mineral. We have some mineral now that contains 2% phos to keep the price down. I sell some of it and it has worked fine for the people who use it at a specific time and in specific conditons throughout the year. We have many now who use a 3.5% phos mineral in the spring and don't go to a higher phos mineral until the grass dries out.

We have worked together with our customers to help figure out how to get the most out of their mineral dollar. There are ways to do that; you aren't locked in to one specific formula. Times change and we must change with them. Hopefully, this supply/demand for the ingredients will ease--but who knows?

I have always said (and found out first hand) that Vigortone is a PERFORMANCE mineral. Cattle do perform on it--as many cattle producers here have attested to.

And NR, you are correct, cattle will get by without mineral. They won't die (well, some might :p )--but you won't see the performance you are used to seeing either. It's a management choice for sure.

I'm going to be away from my computer for a few days, so I won't be able to respond to any other posts here.

Hope this helps!!

Latest posts