• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cows & Quills- Part 2

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JF Ranch

Reaction score
In part 1, I explained the mess we found when some of our cows cornered a porcupine. We had taken care of the worst of them with only a short afternoon to work with. We learned that many short quills out of sight in the hair, could only be found by stroking the hair manually once the obvious ones were pulled out.

When we had time the following week, we got the remaining 12 head in:
_tCIMG0688.jpg

_tCIMG0690.jpg

_tCIMG0691.jpg

_tCIMG0693.jpg

This cow did not have any in her face, but had them high on her hind leg, opposite front leg and one quill in her belly:
_tCIMG0695.jpg

_tCIMG0696.jpg

_tCIMG0698.jpg

_tCIMG0699.jpg

_tCIMG0700.jpg

_tCIMG0702.jpg

This fortunate cow only had one quill:
_tCIMG0703.jpg

_tCIMG0704.jpg

_tCIMG0705.jpg

Taking the last 12 back to the pasture:
_tCIMG0706.jpg

_tCIMG0709.jpg

About twice as many quills came from the 6 cows in the worst condition. The pile of quills on the left came from the first 6 cows and the smaller pile on the right came from the last 12:
_tCIMG0715.jpg

Along the way, we saw the biggest clump of sand burrs I've ever seen. My accomplice poses behind the massive clump which was 5' across, with burrs as big as my thumbnail:
_tCIMG0680.jpg

Looks like a sticky situation all the way around. :?

Usually, when going through a gate with sandburrs, it is easy to momentarily tuck britches into the tops of boots to avoid the burrs. In the sandburr display you have shown, boot tops would not be adequate; it would take chest waders.

Thanks for the pix, and for taking time to explain. Hopefully your cows will now abstain from dabbling with pain. :wink:

I have never seen a porcupine here but this year is the worst I have ever seen for skunks!

These will cross the yard at 2:00AM with 5 barking dogs - - - I feel I should shoot them but then I doubt we could live here as I'm sure they would let go as they died!

Tough deal. Those black cows are protective and don't back away when they think their babies are in danger. I think that is rather smart, it not a little painful. How many quills does a porky have? There could have been a family of them and the porkers were protecting their babies. :???: I am with BMR, porkers are on my hit list along with wolves. :mad:

Funny, the comment on Skunks, hearing all sorts of stories from people around Sask and Alberta about all the skunks!!

Must have been the cold winter!

Hey JF, you might have something else to look out for. My boy saw a Mountain Lion in the Sandhills this morning. I'm trying to estimate.....6 or 7 miles W of your house....headed for Ted Turner's "Nature Preserve".

Yes, Leigh said that he and one of his boys tracked it just after calving and that's where it was headed. There has been tracks in and around Merriman, too... but the G,F,&P guys says there ain't. what do they care. :roll:

Latest posts