• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

coyote hunting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Reaction score
Can we post pictures of dead yotes over here? Would it be ok? Just shot one and thought maybe I would post my decoy and some pics of coyotes I have shot. I love coyote hunting!

Yeah and make sure you have all the details for mike.. As in gun. How long ya had it and how often you shoot it. Load, what shell, reload or not where ya got it and price, distance, wind, what ya had for breakfast. :D :D :D

Post away RA. We try to keep the yote' population in check out here everytime we have a shot at one. I bought an electronic caller a couple years ago and it is fun. Still pack a few mouth calls too cause ya never know what a dog will come a runnin' to. :D

on the County PAB , getting calls from the cattle ranches that hated paying preatory feed, but now as the sheep outfits move off the moutain the wolves and bears are hittiong them. guess that $1/ head when you sell not so bad after all.

leanin' H said:
Post away RA. We try to keep the yote' population in check out here everytime we have a shot at one. I bought an electronic caller a couple years ago and it is fun. Still pack a few mouth calls too cause ya never know what a dog will come a runnin' to. :D

Will do! :D ...trying to clean my post up for Katrina....I have a bunch where I am eating a still somewhat beating coyote heart that I ripped out by using my bare hand.... :evil: ....nah. :D I've never used an electric caller or been around one, but have watched a ton of videos of people using them on youtube and they seem like they would be great for setting up to where you shoot them going to the caller that is placed a fair distance away from you instead of them coming right to you using mouth calls...????....I'd like to try it sometime.

jodywy said:
on the County PAB , getting calls from the cattle ranches that hated paying preatory feed, but now as the sheep outfits move off the moutain the wolves and bears are hittiong them. guess that $1/ head when you sell not so bad after all.

I can't imagine having to deal with bear and wolves!

Big Muddy rancher said:
burnt said:
Oh we've seen a few interesting displays of dead coyotes on here, so . . . :lol: :wink:

:cowboy: :nod: :lol2:

RA check out this thread.

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32851&highlight=long+winter

Oh crap!!!...lol...I about spit pop all over the computer when that link popped up... :D What a great coyote trainer you are! :D They even look like they are really working to break the runners loose in the first picture IMO....lol. Man that's a bunch of them in that tractor bucket! :shock: Those poses in the rest of them.. :D Thanks for that! :D

I haven't been over here but a time or two...I'll have to do some searches. :D

I guess photobucket and I are fueding right now. :D It does this every time I get to messin' with it too much???

My first coyote I ever called in. Savage 22-250 for the gun. It took me a long time to get this first one!
8a30a5d4.jpg

The one I got yesterday. I didn't call this one in though, but is firing me up for this winter of maybe getting some more. I hardly ever saw or heard any when I first moved here, seen fox everyday....now the coyotes are real thick and no fox.
52b6befe.jpg

Part bobcat? :D
e9f21465.jpg

dcb8ec99.jpg

My decoy. I just got it and haven't used it much. I shot and missed one a few months ago. It disappeared, then I shot it heading around like it still wanted to go to that decoy???
4012e7ce.jpg

I think it looks pretty real.
3a47fe21.jpg

f29635ab.jpg

My ghillie suit rolled up
96fb62b9.jpg

My hurt bunny calls.
cde6d14d.jpg

I like to use a single or double reed turkey call to do all the coyote sounds....howls, yips, wounded pup yipes and stuff
ee3016ed.jpg

an actual coyote howler I have
d0d53f8e.jpg

Called in 3 horses one day. :D They love to chase 'em and were mad that this one didn't run from them.
73ee0926.jpg

They knocked it over and were trying to knock a lung out of it....I had to jump up and save it.
98399706.jpg

This was after awhile....I thought it was funny...no coyotes were shot this day.
1fbfc440.jpg

The next two are the only two pics I have of the start of hunting them. I wish I took pictures then like I do now.
11694188_zps8de09280.jpg

The most I ever got in one day was 5....1 from each spot I went. Here's 4 of them. I got the 5 at night I guess...I love hunting at night with a moon and snow! I hunted kinda in a line that night and probably shot the first one 40 or 50 miles from the last one.
1aa3cea3_zpsc55a3511.jpg

Coyotes don't know how many feet a horse has... :D I try to entertain myself here on the world's smallest ranch. :D Sometimes I walk beside my horse when setting the decoy out. :oops:
11_zpsa67460f1.jpg

Probably the only ok coyote I shot last winter.
11a_zps772ffecd.jpg

Decoy again.
a8_zpsc8ad3085.jpg

pics from last winter

a20_zps59f95636.jpg

a21_zps3ac45a3c.jpg

a22_zps127c5188.jpg

a24_zps1fee9e15.jpg

1_zps2853f1b5.jpg

1aa_zpse376ea85.jpg

1aaa_zps6056e1d3.jpg

Any tips or stories, I'd love to hear them!!!

RA , I've got a place you can hunt. The MDC tells me I can't pay to get'em killed but we'll work something out. Hope you're close enough. PM me if you'd like.

MO STOCKER said:
RA , I've got a place you can hunt. The MDC tells me I can't pay to get'em killed but we'll work something out. Hope you're close enough. PM me if you'd like.

PM sent.

I've always been a Pro Bono type coyote hunter...and in lots of other areas too I guess. :D

I Keep a diaphram style call in my mouth when calling. And if i knock down a yote and he has pals, i start yelping like a wounded dog like crazy. I have busted another one who stopped to think things over a time or two! :D Howling can be very successful during mating and after the pups are born. A territorial old dog yote will come a runnin if he thinks you are encroaching his turf even when he ignores a distress call. Cool pictures! The line about yotes "not knowing how many feet a horse has" made me smile. "Here pilgrim, skin this grizz and i'll get ya another"!!! :D :D :D We have a $50 bounty on yotes starting this year. Hope to buy me a new rifle with my ears i collect.

leanin' H said:
I Keep a diaphram style call in my mouth when calling. And if i knock down a yote and he has pals, i start yelping like a wounded dog like crazy. I have busted another one who stopped to think things over a time or two! :D Howling can be very successful during mating and after the pups are born. A territorial old dog yote will come a runnin if he thinks you are encroaching his turf even when he ignores a distress call. Cool pictures! The line about yotes "not knowing how many feet a horse has" made me smile. "Here pilgrim, skin this grizz and i'll get ya another"!!! :D :D :D We have a $50 bounty on yotes starting this year. Hope to buy me a new rifle with my ears i collect.

Thanks, leanin' H! Sounds like you know your stuff on hunting them yotes! I appreciate you posting that! We might have to get our own tv show someday filming us going after the Grand Slam. Might have to sneak into a zoo for the polar bear kill, as I don't know if they allow the wild ones to be shot right now... :D :D

The coyotes are pretty darn thick right now around here and seem to be getting braver, no bounty that I know of yet here, probably never will be.....do they dna test your ears for Missouri coyote bloodlines?.... :D

I believe hayguy has made a reference to that movie over on the ranch talk section as well. :D

"I can smell it, dirtiest animal this side of ****" :D It would be something to live like that. I'm always grunting lines from that movie or close to it anyway to my wife like..."I am a fine figure of a man, yes?...that is all you need to know" or "I am the great white hunter, yes?....as I am preparing the roast tag for supper. :D
11e_zps60c80cc8.jpg

I use that 22-250 for deer hunting also...I just hunt close and head shoot them....I neck shot this one while making a rub on a tree. Still feels like cheating using any kind of gun, but I don't have the funds to get back into bow hunting yet. I'm going to fill the freezer with deer meat, beef, pork, veggies, fish, chicken....and pick some walnuts all from my land....feels good to be doing this!
1aa_zps5d60d17a.jpg

22-250 is a GREAT calibre, and the savage is the BEST rifle out there for the buck (pun intended) :lol: especially with remington's quality control issues.

do you reload or just use factory load's?

next to long range gopher shooting coyote calling/hunting is my favorite pastime, unfortunetly no pic's but that's going to change soon :wink:

any advice on electronic caller's? they just legalised them here a year or two back and i have'nt made the plunge yet but Christmas is coming :wink:

hayguy said:
22-250 is a GREAT calibre, and the savage is the BEST rifle out there for the buck (pun intended) :lol: especially with remington's quality control issues.

do you reload or just use factory load's?

next to long range gopher shooting coyote calling/hunting is my favorite pastime, unfortunetly no pic's but that's going to change soon :wink:

any advice on electronic caller's? they just legalised them here a year or two back and i have'nt made the plunge yet but Christmas is coming :wink:

I apologize hayguy...meant to put hayguy and the Jeremiah Johnson reference in that last post...I fixed it.

I got lucky...I traded some car stereo speakers and an amp for that gun....not knowing anything about rifles.....and have heard a lot of good on them and am really glad to hear it from you also!....thanks for posting that!

I just use factory loads. I'd love to know how to reload someday!

This gun is about like my camera...it is always close. I try to be careful, but it gets banged on the cantle of the saddle, knocked over, stuff thrown on it in the truck, etc...and I always think the scope will be off when I go to sight it back in and it is always still on. I haven't had to move anything in a very long time....I like it!

Yeah, get some pictures when you can! I don't know anything about the electric callers, but hopefully someone that does can chime in here....need to make sure Santa brings ya a good one... :D I'd like to know more about them also and try one.

Latest posts