• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Crossbreeding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
SteersHighland010.jpg

Here's what our three way cross steers look like at harvest-this is a horned hereford steer out of a south devon/angus cow. He goes to meet his maker on Tuesday-as soon as I get his grid data I'll post it. The first group graded up well so we'll see how this Hereford back cross works.

Hey....You must have finished that windbreak. :D :D :D
Nice looking animals. :)

Northern Rancher said:
That windbreak is at Highland Feeders the lot we feed at lol. Way neater than i build lol.

:lol: First cut slabs just never seem to give as nice a result, do they? :lol:

Nice looking feeders. What kind of performance?

Rod

I would guess 1300-1350..... dont know if im close as its hard to tell from the picture... Nice looking steer NR..... Always did like those BWF cattle. Always look sharp!!

SteersHighland016.jpg

Here's what they red side looks like that's off a black south devon bull and a baldie cow-the first group we sent averaged 1364 after a 5% shrink-I'll know more when we finish the pen but the first group averaged $170 premium on the grid-Highland does a very good job of turning some pretty plain calves into some pretty good finished steers-great people to work with also. P.S. I actually bought that South Devon bull at the Midland Bull Test in the days before Leo got his R-Calf lobotomy. He was a real good bull-the best footed bull I ever owned and a real athlete out breeding cows-we lost him in a blizzard as a 9 year old but I've got 400 straws of semen hoarded away on him.

BMR I just hate taggy cattle-I've been to some lots where I wouldn't feed at for love or money-I do think the pacvkers take 'dirty' cattle into account when bidding too.

Just got my grid data and I lied about the premium it was a $100 a head not $170-I multiplied it by the live weight not the carcass weight-I had one A3-AA though so it's going to be interesting to see where he came from.

I'm realy impressed with the bright ,clean hair and clean pens.Resently saw some cattle in a confinement barn.Nearly made me puke.
Too bad these steers aren't safe to eat :D :) :) :???:

NR,
$100 a head is a real nice premium. Congratulations!!! What is A3-AA? Is that the same as yield grades here in the states?
Nice steers on the hoof and on the rail! :) :) :)

ET Doc said:
NR,
$100 a head is a real nice premium. Congratulations!!! What is A3-AA? Is that the same as yield grades here in the states?
Nice steers on the hoof and on the rail! :) :) :)

I could be wrong........but I think it's a YG 3 - Select.

The other 8 steers were either CAB.Sterling or AAA-they're cleaning the pen today so I'll find out how the rest did. Katrina we don't have to get Canadian cattle overfat so they'll marble lol-just kidding. The feedlot makes the marketing call they're way better qualified than me to do so.

Latest posts