• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cur dogs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TWOROPES

Reaction score
We have gone to using cur type dogs, [ blackmouth,catahoula] almost all the time in our part of the world. with much more success than we had with the herding breeds. Curs will go hunt cattle in brush and bay them up, where the other dogs I have had would run more cattle off than they caught. Just wonderin what type of dogs yall prefer?

I have always been interested in the black-mouthed curs AND the Catahoula's. Don't know anyone that has a Black-mouthed cur. When we were needing a dog, I did look into that breed, but there are none around here.

Most people don't realize "Old Yeller" was a Catahoula.

Our best dog came from some folks named Birrer in western Montana. The son now lives in Nebraska. They have raised these dogs for almost 50 years and I believe they must go back to some Black-mouth curs. They are yellow or red, with white markings and short ears that do not stand up.

If you look at my avatar that is a picture of the last one we were able to get. We have her now, and she wants to be a cowdog, but she sure isn't anywhere near as good as the old dog we had. But she is still young, not a year old yet. I hope to have someone help me today post some pictures on here and we will try to get a picture of her. A very unique thing these dogs possess is a line up the back of their neck. It is a ridge of darker hair that stands straight up when the dog is aroused by something strange. It looks like the hair on a Rhodesian Ridgeback. These dogs are double tough, this pup is not. Not yet anyway. They were excellent guard dogs, so far this pup likes everyone.

Our old dog never, ever, in her whole life ever barked at a cow. She was a great dog and a lot of help. If I can figure out how, I will post a picture of her.

Border collie all the way!! My old boy( lost him in Feb.) would bring cattle up to my trunk from my half section of river land. I'd be countin and he'd be goin back in the bush after stray.Bought him years ago from trainer in southern Alta. After Jake died called him to see if he had any trained to sell ..but was out of business .Too bad ,best darn dog iiever had Now i'm trying to train a lttle female.. she seems to have potencial.. but i'll tell you a good trained cattle dog is better then ANY hired man

What's the guy doing that trained the other dog??? Reason I ask, maybe offer to have him come and work with you and the dog for awhile. Put him up and give him some money. That way you get the good dog and learn how to make some more good ones.

My bet is if he's retired and hasn't done it for awhile, somewhere deep inside he'd love to do it once in awhile. Another thing, talented people also seem to like to pass their knowledge onto willing students,

PPRM

Not really sure of the reason for him quiting the dogs, before I got Jake I looked around alot, watched stock dog trials and really liked the way this trainer did things, thats why I bought from him. I've taken training workshops and have trained and sold a few... didn't really want to train, wanted one ALREADY trained but then thought I'd do one more. Hopefully she'.ll work the way I want. The trainer trained with a whistle ,the main reason I liked his method. Good idea about calling him though just may do that thx

We use both type of dogs the Catahoula's for catch and brush dogs and the Australian shepherd's for herding. They both have there place. My wife used to do the Border collies trained them to go out and bring cattle in they were just to smart for me. I like to have my dogs closer I'm more of a hiss them on and get them kind of guy. Oh well everybody likes something different.

Latest posts