• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Curse of the Grand Champion

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Over the last several years my kids have won the district Grand Champion female three times and everyones been cursed by bad luck. Just getting ready to go coach hockey tonight when my traveling partner comes in says there's a heifer calving. Well we only have 2 heifers due in April so out I go. The champion from last year waddling around with cleanings out-just spent the last hour untangling and pulling a set of Glacier Chateau twins-6 weeks premature-she must of slipped on the ice out there. Every ratty little witch that finishs last in class makes a cow that lasts for years. I guess we are one outfit that just shouldn't have show cattle around of any kind lol.

Murphy's law! It always works that way. Biggest calf always dies, or best cow always comes back open, or the female you spent the most money on buying turns out to be a dud. Never fails!

Ever notice grade horses can live in implement yard with rolls of old wire and never get a scratch, high dollar horses always seem to need stitches at some point, even if in a padded room

Story also reminds me of when they started having carcass evaluations at some fairs. Sure changed the order compared to what many judges were picking in conformation. Sometimes the best looking cows aren't the ones making the money,

Sometimes the best looking cows aren't the ones making the money,

PPRM, I definately agree. At our local calf sale last fall, talking to a fellow about one of the sad looking cows in a pen of opens and breds. Pointed out how much of an eyesore that old Hereford/Shorthorn girl was. He told me that she was about 16 years old and that he had sold her to the current owner when she was 8. He said he was going to buy her back for a couple more calvings due to her fantastic track record for himself and the current owner. In the end, I think he end up getting her back for a little over a $100.00, but that cow has proved herself profitable...even if she is ugly as sin. :D

["Shelly"]Murphy's law! It always works that way. Biggest calf always dies, or best cow always comes back open, or the female you spent the most money on buying turns out to be a dud. Never fails!

So when will ranchers learn? I have fought with bull buyers for years about buying the fat shiny bull, the over conditioned bred heifers.

Grand dad always said fat is a pretty color.

Latest posts