• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Custom Feeding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sic 'em reds

Reaction score
Just wanted to bounce this of you guys to see what you thought.

First off, we don't have any good lots or corrals to develop our heifers, something we hope to do in the next few years.

So we have been sending our heifers to a feedlot to be grown and developed from November to mid-April. Management is good and feed is good. Feed is high roughage, with a little grain December through February, then back to pretty much a grower ration from March until we bring them home in mid-April. They get in good condition, but not bad fat.

Last months bill was $1.98/hd/day, including yardage fees. With what I paid for hay this year, I could feed them for $1.60, but don't have the facilities, and don't have to deal with doctoring or any other BS.

I think for $0.38 per day I am doing alright, but what say you?

Our ration started out at a feed cost of .80 per day for 50 days then .93 for 44 days then 1.16 per day for 75 days. I had Vigortone figure my ration which is silage,mixed hay,distillars grain and corn.

All cost were figured as if I had boughten everything. I enjoy raiseing heifers so I don't figure much for yardage that and with the price of fertilizer I put a value on the manure.

This is the second year I have done it. Previously we ran them on cornstalks and timothy fields, but didn't feel they did well through the winter. We fed a protein supplement, but didn't like how they were coming into breeding season.

I have 20 of my own down there, with another 30 from an uncle's herd.

I just more or less was wanting to find out if that rate was fair for other areas. We are in a good area for all crops, so costs can be kept lower. I would not mind doing it here, but until we get some better lot facilities, sending them to the feedlot seemed cheaper while we try to figure things out a little better.

It ultimately comes down to cost of gain when comparing feedlots-some charge less for yardage but have different ration costs-the bottomline is the bottom line. The $19 a day they are charging on your 50 head yardage wise can get used up pretty fast at home too.

And while in a feedlot they're not getting much exercise or the chance to learn about pawing through snow to become better foragers, which is what they'll be every winter for the rest of their life. JMO, but the cornstalks and hay fields sounded good. It all depends on the result you're looking for. I felt good about wintering calves on straight hay and snowballs one winter, until I realized they weren't gaining any weight.

If you're happy with the outcome, you ought to be happy with the price. If you were'nt happy with the results on the cornstalks, then this sounds like the better option for you.

Oh yeah, you're doing quite alright as far as the cost difference. Don't know if you figured your labor in the cost to you to do it at home, but this is an equitable deal in my opinion. Standard feedlot yardage in Nebraska would be about 35 cents a day.

Since you are a little short of facilities, then it seals the deal, in my opinion.

Hope all continues to go well.

PC, I agree 100% with you about earning a living out on stubble fields, and with your not gaining weight. I really felt we set those heifers back when we tried to rough them through the winter, and think we saw some of the affect when a few came up open as coming 2nd calvers. Not saying sitting in a pen all winter is better, but they are getting better nutrition.

Latest posts