• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Damn Turks Head Knots

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

This AM I was doctoring a few calves that we weaned a week ago. I roped a calf a little deep, and as I was watching to see if my rope was going to stick, I wasn't paying attention and missed my dallies. I pushed the calf over to a water tank and jumped off to grab my rope with the intentions of taking a wrap around a post to slow the calf up. I caught the rope as the calf took off, and the rope buzzed through my hands, and the turks head at the end of the rope swung around and whacked me in the face. There was more blood than damage done, but I did get a wrap in time to hold the calf to medicate it without anymore circus events for the day.

Trying to doctor a weaned calf alone can be a task, but the rest of the morning went well in comparison. :!:

Moral: undo the turks head back into a soft braid, or cut it off and burn the end.

the real jake said:
This AM I was doctoring a few calves that we weaned a week ago. I roped a calf a little deep, and as I was watching to see if my rope was going to stick, I wasn't paying attention and missed my dallies. I pushed the calf over to a water tank and jumped off to grab my rope with the intentions of taking a wrap around a post to slow the calf up. I caught the rope as the calf took off, and the rope buzzed through my hands, and the turks head at the end of the rope swung around and whacked me in the face. There was more blood than damage done, but I did get a wrap in time to hold the calf to medicate it without anymore circus events for the day.

Trying to doctor a weaned calf alone can be a task, but the rest of the morning went well in comparison. :!:

Moral: undo the turks head back into a soft braid, or cut it off and burn

Sounds like another scene for my novel! You guys are full of them. What IS the purpose of a turkshead knot anyway. Never had that one in GirlScouts.
Well I came back to edit my question after finding this: motion pictures of knot-making. http://www.naturesgarden.ca/knots.htm

the real jake said:

Moral: undo the turks head back into a soft braid, or cut it off and burn the end.

Ouch again.

moral - use turkshead for what its for and tie off - at least with a wrap, a hooey and ohshit knot.
Say Brad, you probably have a point, but I do not like to tie hard and fast unless I have to. For one thing, I am by myself and heading these calves, and should I get in a bind I can always turn my dallies loose. I know about your ohshit knot, but I don't miss a dally very often, so really don't need it. I always have said if I ever catch my kids tieing off solid, I will beat their behind. It is not for rookies.

By the way, I am glad you are back. Missed your wit. :)

And rancher, no pictures, until you do one. I am still waiting for you to get busy.

Jake, I had to line out my boy this summer as far as tieing off - you're right on about safty first. I never thought about where he learned it, oops.

Truth be known, I'm with ya stirring the post. If I get killed, my wife will likely replace me with a school teacher (gagging).

Some years back, I was doctoring some sick calves in the fall. It was resperatory(sp) so I didn't want to run them if possible, so I was just following along and trying to sneak a loop on. Out of the corner of my eye I saw another calf with droopy ears, going the other way, so I just flipped my loop at him and damned if it didn't fit! :lol:

In my excitement of catching and the calf going real fast the other way, and using one of those damn shorter ropes, I got the last 2 or 3 feet of rope over my right thumb as it went around the horn. Didn't last very long, but hurt real bad! :lol:

Thumb healed up after a couple of months and now I have a good reminder at the base of my thunb. A neighbor and I were talking about it and I was going thru' all of the things I could have done to have avoided this incident. He said, "The best thing would have been to turn around and follow the calf as you roped him!" He was right! :lol:

Moral to the story, there is no right or wrong between dallying or tying on hard and fast, there are just different cumcumstansus(sp) where one is better than the other! :lol: IMHO :lol:

Glad to hear you ain't gonna die Jake. Evidently the injury was far from your heart! :)

Latest posts