• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

December pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cedarcreek

Reaction score
Since Mrs Cedarcreek is helping chaperon the older daughters church youth groups new years eve party I thought i would post some pictures while I spend a quiet new years eve with our younger daughter.

Cows in a circle, on to the next bunch.
DSCN9004.jpg

The next bunch hiding in the brush.
DSCN9005.jpg

Cold hills -33F
DSCN9007.jpg

Horses coming for some feed.
DSCN9009.jpg

Coming out of the rough country for hay.
DSCN9051.jpg

Cows on hay Christmas day.
DSCN9075.jpg

Heifer calves glad to see somebody show up on a snowy morning.
DSCN9076.jpg

Had to use this to get through the drifts to get there.
DSCN9079.jpg

Meals on wheels.
DSCN9093.jpg

Vicious cow dog waiting in the pickup. :D :wink:
DSCN9096-1.jpg

Brrrrrrrrrrr.

What weight of engine oil do you guys run during the cold months in that Ford?

Thanks for posting the pics.............

bart.

<><

Fine looking pictures, Cedarcreek. It's amazing how well cattle survive in the cold winters, even when the temperature drops to minus 33. Thanks for showing us how things are in your country.

Pretty country. :D

That's quite a snow blower. :shock:

Your image as a tough cowboy is going to take a little hit with that dog pic, :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bverellen said:
Brrrrrrrrrrr.

What weight of engine oil do you guys run during the cold months in that Ford?

Thanks for posting the pics.............

bart.

<><
I'm running 0W-40 John Deere synthetic year round in it. I've started that one twice at -20 without it being plugged in.

Winter days look cold no matter where we call home in snow country.
Thanks Cedarcreek, your cattle are wintering well.

I am running 0-30 in the winter and 15-40 in summer. Our 7400 hasn't been plugged in all winter although it is in a shop, hasn't failed the cows yet. The 6410 however, is a different story. Plugged in, synthetic oil, everything but a nice fire :evil: and it is a pig to start below -35.

I live several hundred miles north of you and the pics even made me cold. It takes a tough guy to have a dog like that. Any old cowboy can sport a border collie! :wink:

Looks like you got about the same amount of snow as we do Cedarcreek..With the current forecast of 30+ mph winds (already up to 20 mph this morning)- and a couple more inchs of snow predicted- there could be some pretty good drifting today and this weekend...

Actually was pleasantly surprised this morning to only have 12 Below rather than the predicted 20 Below....But this east wind is really putting a nip on things...

That looks just plain chilly. But I wonder if the cows stay warmer in -33 and no snow melting on their backs than ours in-5 with their backs damp and icicles hanging down their sides most of the time.

Do your cows have icicles hanging on their sides in those cold temps?

That dog looks like a real cow killer. :lol:

burnt said:
That looks just plain chilly. But I wonder if the cows stay warmer in -33 and no snow melting on their backs than ours in-5 with their backs damp and icicles hanging down their sides most of the time.

That dog looks like he'd protect his truck.

burnt said:

The cows very seldom have icicles hanging on them. What is tough on them is -33 with some wind. When it got down that cold there was enough wind to put the wind chill down to around -50, that will make them hunt a hole and put a hump in their back. The snow isn't deep enough to stop the cows from grazing but we had a couple of days above freezing and a little rain on it that put a crust on it otherwise the wind would have cleared off quite a bit of grass. All the wind did was make big enough drifts to make getting around a little tough.

Is that a Fair/Wildcat blower? How does Johnny do getting around without chains?

I haven't got ambitious enough to put chains on yet but this winter is starting to look like that would be a good plan. :roll: :wink:

John SD said:
Is that a Fair/Wildcat blower? How does Johnny do getting around without chains?

I haven't got ambitious enough to put chains on yet but this winter is starting to look like that would be a good plan. :roll: :wink:

Its a Fair 848A, it moves about 5 times as much snow as the two-stage auger type blower I had using the same tractor. The tractor does surprisingly well without chains as long as there isn't ice under the snow. The blower weighs about 2500 lbs and I carry it just off the ground to keep from blowing too much dirt. That helps with the traction.

Cedarcreek said:
John SD said:

Its a Fair 848A, it moves about 5 times as much snow as the two-stage auger type blower I had using the same tractor. The tractor does surprisingly well without chains as long as there isn't ice under the snow. The blower weighs about 2500 lbs and I carry it just off the ground to keep from blowing too much dirt. That helps with the traction.

The Fair design certainly looks more efficient than an auger design. All the HP used for blowing the snow. And keeping the blower up out of the dirt as much as possible keeps things from gumming up.

I have a Canuck built 7' McKee model 720 double auger blower. It's over 30 yrs old and still does a good job. Got it used from a neighbor who upgraded to new 8' blower a few years ago.

The McKee does a good job if not crowded too hard. Have to slip the clutch to make the first pass through the snowbank. Then can just shave off whatever is needed to keep the blower full. Doesn't hurt to be pushing loose snow. It doesn't like big cow chips too well. :roll: :roll: :wink:

I worked for a Trailer Builder 20 years ago the boss bought a new snow blower 1st day he had it he was trying it out and ran an 8' oak 4x4 thru it. It was a bit hard on things.

Latest posts