• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Deer season must be over

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I never hunted a day to be honest-just didn't have much to say about anything of relevance.Was in and out of hospital quite a bit. Sara got a nice buck with her new 7mm/08 and Emily got a massive old 4x4 with her .243. I do have an imponderable to run by everybody as soon as I get the ambition to type it up lol.

All the oufitters seemed to be having trouble this year but Grant Kuypers of buck paradise at green Lake. They shot some real pounders including a 203 at their Paradise Hill operation. A few elk were got between 350 and 400 nothing like the provincial record laast year. Cody Robbins arrowed the buck of a lifetime a new archery world record nontypical 287 and change. I think the deer are there but the rut was soo warm and drawn out they just didn't get hunted right. We have some good trailcam pics of shooters but ecided to just let everybody walk another year.

I sure hope you get to feeling better. I miss your posts!

The deer populations here were pretty low, the winter last year did a number on them. The biggest buck shot in our wildlife federation scored just over 145, and mine was second at 143 2/8. Doesnt seem too good, seen a handful of smaller bucks with morgan but she let them walk so they could grow and make more deer for another year

what is this deer season you speak of...the deer here are such a problem we kill all year long....nasty creatures, taste vile, and destroy crops and vehicles.....

jigs said:
what is this deer season you speak of...the deer here are such a problem we kill all year long....nasty creatures, taste vile, and destroy crops and vehicles.....

Didn't you know that deer meat is good, so long as you marinate it, spice it, make jerky, mix beef fat etc with it. You know cut down on that wild game taste.
I'll have beef

jigs said:

:agree:

I ate enough deer and antelope in college to last me for the rest of my life. Any deer meat given me gets fed to the dogs. Poor Corgi's!

jigs said:

Deer Season - in the late fall/early winter, generally starting around November 1st through to Mid-December. It is a time of peak testosterone and aggressive rutting behavior in the population. And there are deer around too... :lol:

loomixguy said:
jigs said:

I ate enough deer and antelope in college to last me for the rest of my life. Any deer meat given me gets fed to the dogs. Poor Corgi's!

Around here the deer are grain fed ( not by choice ) and as such if butchered properly they are much like beef.

The buck a friend shot last saturday must have had a 5 gal bucket of corn in its belly - - -- now you know whay I encourage a select group of hunters!

George said:
Around here the deer are grain fed ( not by choice ) and as such if butchered properly they are much like beef.

quote]

It is kinda funny that good deer or wild game is judged by how it matches up with beef. Oh I can eat wild game with no problem, after all I can handle chicken once in a while also. :wink:

Larrry said:
George said:

quote]

It is kinda funny that good deer or wild game is judged by how it matches up with beef. Oh I can eat wild game with no problem, after all I can handle chicken once in a while also. :wink:

I have heard that so much, also about Elk. I've eaten my share of both,
and while they can be good, to say they are as good as beef, tells
me the person saying that really hasn't eaten good beef.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I believe that to be true. And especially
if the beef you eat comes from the store.

BTW, I just picked up boneless Prime Rib (whole) for $4.99/lb!!!!!!!!!
I know, I like the bone-in too, but this was a super deal!! :D

Faster horses said:
Larrry said:
George said:

quote]

Good to know you two aren't down to eating dog food yet. :p :D

gcreekrch said:
Faster horses said:
Larrry said:

Good to know you two aren't down to eating dog food yet. :p :D

6 more months of Obama and that will change. But by then we'll be
headed to Morrison Meadow........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't mean to infer it was great beef but it is acceptable.

Many people don't like what I have in the freezer anyway as I butcher 2 year old hiefers that did not get bred - - - I feel grass fed does taste a little different but I like it better!

The marbling on these hiefers is quite good - - - no lagre layers of fat and I normally have to buy a litte fat to mix in the ground beef or it does not stick together good.

I feel good deer is as good as what some of the cut rate steak houses try to serve!

George said:
I didn't mean to infer it was great beef but it is acceptable.

Many people don't like what I have in the freezer anyway as I butcher 2 year old hiefers that did not get bred - - - I feel grass fed does taste a little different but I like it better!

The marbling on these hiefers is quite good - - - no lagre layers of fat and I normally have to buy a litte fat to mix in the ground beef or it does not stick together good.

I feel good deer is as good as what some of the cut rate steak houses try to serve!

Older beef, like those dry two-year olds is what gave BEEF it's reputation
for being so GOOD. It's not 12-14 month old cattle that haven't been aged after being processed........

Ok I have grown up eating both home raised corn fed and grass fed beef as well as deer meat. Our deer are acorn raised and never eat corn, and I really have to say that I am disturbed that most people that posted in this thread dont like deer meat. I actually think fried deer tenderloin is far superior to any cut of beef. I have eaten beef that I raised as well as beef from some of the big name steak houses, and I still prefer the taste of deer.

All of this is my opinion and not intended to ruffle any feathers. I was just a little surprised to see that so many people either dont like or prefer beef over venison.

Latest posts