• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Definition of a good horse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LRAF

Reaction score
So all you guys and gals that rack the miles up on our equine friends daily give me your definition of a good horse.

Attitude. Kinda like people, a good attitude goes a long ways.
Good feet and withers. Kind eye. For us, it's imperative that a horse
watch a cow. And gentle is a pretty color.( Not all really good ones
are all that gentle. :p ) We like a horse that 'carries his lunch'~in other
words, doesn't gaunt up on a long ride. Good traveler, knows where
his feet are.

I like to think they are all kind of good-just some are better than others. I guess I just like horses that do their best at whatever job you throw at them. If they are made right, pretty and cowy that all helps too. The older I get the more I appreciate a good fast walk and a smooth lope. I'm not really handy enough to find everything most horses have to offer but I like to plug away at it.

I agree with FH. However, I would condition her word "attitude," with "willing" and add the word "responsive". Any good horse must have both of these attributes. The lack of these two things makes a horse defensive and resentful. This can be a caused effect, by poor initial handling but either way makes for less of a horse.

One that people want to trade for that will never leave your place.
The three classes of horse here are:
Green - often unpredictable, and not at all reliable
Saddle - reliable but require coaching to git'r'done
Cow - the very best kind of horse, reliable, good on their feet, smart and wants to work at whatever. Slow enough to be effective, fast enough to be effective and smart enough to not have to go fast.

For our particular place in order of esteem work is
1. cutting cows - a good cutting horse holds a special place (the work of a true cow horse)
2. moving slow enough to chase yearlings/calves
3. roping ability

Northern Rancher said:
I like to think they are all kind of good-just some are better than others. I guess I just like horses that do their best at whatever job you throw at them. If they are made right, pretty and cowy that all helps too. The older I get the more I appreciate a good fast walk and a smooth lope. I'm not really handy enough to find everything most horses have to offer but I like to plug away at it.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

My Grand Dad would say the best horse is one that gets USED. :!: :!: :!:

me I want one thats easy to catch, knows what a cow is will go all day in the moutains and not make me have to grab the horn.

I would second the notion that a good horse has a good attitude, and is willing and responsive. The "easy-to-catch" part comes in mighty handy, also, because if a horse is hard to catch it is often much less frustrating to just catch a friendlier one to get the job done. It might not be very "cowboy," but using a piece or two of cake (protein cubes) keeps them more gentle and easy to catch.

Some things I dislike immensely in a horse, to the point of not keeping them around, are: stumbling, rearing up, and bucking after they've been ridden for half a day. It is understandable and acceptable if a horse is a little cold-backed early in the morning, but after they are good and warmed up and still want to buck, they probably don't need to stay on the ranch. Endurance is also something I greatly admire in a horse. It is no fun riding something that you have to pedal to get across the pastures. Endurance is important enough to me, that I rate a willing ground-covering traveler higher than one with super-dooper power steering. We do a lot of wintertime riding and I always wear lace-up high-topped overshoes over my Wilson boots. The spurs are left in the barn in these conditions, so I don't like to ride horses that need to be ridden with spurs. My lifetime of observation has concluded that a good cowboy can accomplish more with a poor horse than can a poor cowboy on a really good horse.

All of the above are good traits of a good horse...my definition is slightly different..I need a horse that will stand so I can take pictures! He's got to keep his cool when others are rushing by..and doesn't mind being off by himself during a roundup...and most important for this old gal, is to stand still no matter how ungraceful I am when climbing on! lol

Soapweed said:
My lifetime of observation has concluded that a good cowboy can accomplish more with a poor horse than can a poor cowboy on a really good horse.

I agree with that little chunk of wisdom fully and completely. :wink:

I get along best with a mount that works 'with' me, and one that I can work 'with'. Anything (or anyone) that has his/her mind 'off somewhere else' is'nt much of a partner, or working-companion. (Boss included)

For me, the relationship between myself and a ranch-horse is 51/49...me of course being the 51%...

...but then I was'nt 'blessed' with having grown-up around horses...so the precious few times I'm asked to go catch and saddle one up for ranch-work is a GOOD day for me, and always a new experience.

I saw something new yesterday-a friend in Montana had a new man there-his first day-he was supposed to be a horse trainer-had the proper hat-pants tucked in his boots etc. The only thing wrong was he didn't know how to sadlle his horse-he had it set so far back the back cinch was where we set the flank on a bronc. They got that straightened out then when he climbed on he just about fell off the far side-luckily he had a death grip on the horn he didn't relinguish all day. I guess no where to go but up lol.

What a kind gentle description.......Amazing transformation........ Northern, you are rounding off some of your rough edges. Well done!

Well, I'm young enough to still want one to get out and move. If I have to keep the horse checked up a little I don't mind. As long as the beast doesn't want to spook and run off, I can handle it. It's the spooky ones that have gotten me in trouble. Otherwise, I can't stand a horse that I have to peddle. Just as soon walk.

Phantom you old cob I didn't want you doing the play by play on that one.

alottapepper011.jpg

Here's my new ride I brought up from Montana this morning-I just put a few miles on him. He has a nice fast walk-and is pretty smooth on the trot. I just turned him looose in the round pen for a bit-he decided I wasn't all bad so I bridled him and went and rode through the calving heifers. I realize he's a bit thin lol.

If you had taken the picture from the front, you could show his little star on his forehead. In spite of the no chrome look, he looks pretty darn good, don't he?

Latest posts