• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

diesel mechanics step forward please

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LRAF

Reaction score
I have a small 574 international tractor. The seal in the injection pump went out. We removed pump (locked in place) had seal replaced and put pump back on. Now when the tractor starts it will idle then begin to smother out and puff white smoke before dieing. Anyone have any ideas? This is a handy little tractor to have and wish I could get it running again.

Might also be sucking air somewhere along the supply line to the pump as it sounds like it loads up with air as it runs.

I had an Allis Chalmers several years ago that would do that - - - turned out the return line to the tank was blocked - - - - cleared it and everything was fine.

We have bled it out. Checked all lines checked filters checked injectors and blew out return line. Still no dice. One place here said it was 180° out of time? I have never heard of that personally and one start and idle normal for a few min then smother like this one does.

One of the 3306 cat engines we have was rebuilt and they got the pump on 180 out and it ran with about 1/2 power and over heated - - - retimed and it ran fine.

Untill I saw it for myself I would not have believed it would run 180 out, but it did!

My bet is out of time ,Or air in the system , If your cap is vented & not venting it can create a vacume & fuel will not flow freely , Or something is plugging your fuel in the tank . Check the fuel flow at the pump if its slow take your cap off the tank & put a little air pressure to the line & see if she flows back to the tank ? A pump cannot push air < air compresses Fuel will not so if there is air in your pump it might act like that run for a short time & die good luck

Just remembered a neighbor had his tractor back to the dealer twice before he found a spyder in the valve on the bottom of the tank.

He figured it was in the nozel when he put fuel in the tractor. Remmoved the spyder and tractor runs good now.

Tractor would start and run for about 5 minutes then start running weaker and weaker till it died. After about 20 minutes it would restart and go thru the whole process again.

They had blown the line out but enough air went past the spyder they thought is was clear but fuel taakes more space than air

Moths and millers can get into fuel dispensing nozzles on bulk tanks. It is good to keep a cover (such as an empty plastic oil container) over the ends of nozzles to prevent these creatures from eventually clogging up fuel lines.

Plastic shotgun sheel works well too and you can still put the nozel in the factory holder. But you have to remember to remove it and not shoot it into your tank although it probably would not cause problems .

I would check the timing alignment, but I would double-check all fuel line connections, not to infer any lack of "mechanin".
What breed is the pump, and does the tractor have glow plugs?
After a little more reading, I would have to lean towards pump supply, maybe. White smoke generally means lean on fuel, or out of time...
574, what year?

Latest posts