• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Different Country

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
The Waldorf is about 5 hours south of the home place-it's different to cowboy on-NO MUSKKEG and NO BUSH-but is it ever breezy. Ty and I moved the first calvers today-we left back half a dozen fresh pairs-the wind caught ones afterbirth and it blew out behind her like a sail. Grass is looking good but like always a rain would be nice-the May calvers are kicking in strong so getting lots of calves.

Northern Rancher said:
The Waldorf is about 5 hours south of the home place-it's different to cowboy on-NO MUSKKEG and NO BUSH-but is it ever breezy. Ty and I moved the first calvers today-we left back half a dozen fresh pairs-the wind caught ones afterbirth and it blew out behind her like a sail. Grass is looking good but like always a rain would be nice-the May calvers are kicking in strong so getting lots of calves.

The "Beezy" part is why swath grazing and bale grazing can be a bit of a challenge. The snow gets hard from the wind and can drift right over top of the bales.

It's not so much fun riding and driving pairs either. Is it? :shock:

Those little babys don't like walking into it-Ty and I are going fabricating in the shop till the wind drops a bit before we move the big bunch of cows-we'd be face on into it with them. This is just about perfect ranch country it's rolly enough those cows can get out of the wind-we've got a few good storm fields to start calving on next year. The buckskin is sure a nice horse-he can take the miles-come up for a visit BMR have a look at the remuda.

Northern Rancher said:
Those little babys don't like walking into it-Ty and I are going fabricating in the shop till the wind drops a bit before we move the big bunch of cows-we'd be face on into it with them. This is just about perfect ranch country it's rolly enough those cows can get out of the wind-we've got a few good storm fields to start calving on next year. The buckskin is sure a nice horse-he can take the miles-come up for a visit BMR have a look at the remuda.
You should build a tow behind set of slabs with a feed bunk and the cows/calves can just follow...

BMR - what the invitation really means is "bring your chequbook". :p

That would be a good look. It is hard to overcome a weakness for good horses. Where are you from Findlater? We bomb through there quite regular.

Go straight south twelve miles then go a half mile east-the ranch has a sign you'll be able to see all the ranch buildings are red. Stop by anytime

That's intersting---always nice to kinda get a guy kinda 'located' when he's talking about his operation. I'll be going thru there this summer, headed to town of hudsons bay--or is it hudson bay?--anyhow, the one that's furthest east. Got a lovely coal play there---88m, thickest intersection ever found in Canada. Probably come back thru Lloyd---heavy oil deal there that intrigues me--the guy running it holds 40% of co, 70% total is locally owned. Not good with numbers, financial statements, I look for stuff like this and go by the people. Last road trip up thataway was kindersley---viking horizontals, that play worked but was plum spendy---you could spend 1.2mm every 5 days. About 1 1/2 yr payout. I decided several yrs ago to 'get on the other side of the table' that when people talked about much fert, gas, diesel prices went up I wanted to be able to say 'Is that all?' I kinda got this philosophy some from Alan Nation, stockman grass farmer---"if you think cattle are too cheap to sell, maybe you should be buying them?"

For people in sask esp---it's kinda an ab of 30 yrs ago---phenomenal opportunities---coal, oil, gas, uranium, potash, diamonds---and it's right in your backyard. I have a lotta fun with this stuff--and occasionally make a buck or two.

Coal at hudson Bay, Sask? That is interewsting all I thought came out of there was moose lumber and tough hockey players. It won't look like coal country does in Wyoming for sure.

Oh ya--lots of it. Whole area unexplored, deepest drilling was probably for water wells.

co called goldsource was looking for diamonds--found coal.

co I know well
http://www.saturnminerals.com/s/Home.asp
was drilling for coal, cut at least traces of light oil.

their 88m coal intersect is only down about 50? m.

lotsa interest there---including some CTL--'coal to liquids' Hitler did it 60 yrs ago. and rail in the area.

and for Canadian investors---you guys got some super sweet deals going---little co's aren't bankable, all they got to sell is their story and their stock---so do private financings---including 'flow thru'--this is a beauty!

these little co's don't really need tax deductions---at least not yet--and most never will. So---they sell you shares with attached wts---the money raised thru 'flow thru' financings has to be spent in Canada and has to go 'in the ground' no office overhead, no officers salarys, etc can be paid outa it--it's spent on exploration-----the tax benefits 'flow thru' the co to the investor----a guy can actually sell the shares for less than he paid for them and still make money, thru tax deductions--and keep the wts to exercise later. Tremendous amount of interest in sask, manitoba---esp after ab started jacking energy co's around, got too greedy with tar sands-----I have more fun doing this and have met so many neat people---kinda a prospector/cowboy mentality---

We've got a big game outfitting area right across the road from the coal find so I'm a bit familiar. As far as potential for mining it is really close to infrastructure like roads, rail and hydro. The challenge in my mind would be water as its under muskeg or floating bog.
NR's earlier assessment of Hudson Bay was pretty close. I tell our hunters 'welcome to Hudson Bay, where the men are men and the women are too....'. If you have an interest in big black bears come in June and I'll hook you up.

The ranch was left in such good shape grass wise we hardly see any-Ty got the yotes thinned a bit. Spring bear is alot of fun-starts with shooting beavers for bait and goes from there. Sara has got a couple good bears hitting baits so maybe she'll get one.

Latest posts