• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Do we have a Kelpie???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy, I don't get as cold as you do but we do get down to -11 and 20-30 mph winds so take this for what it is worth... In weather like that if Zeke is in his kennel at the time he is generally laying on top of his dog house.. Cold doesn't bother him much.. We are a bit warmer than you probably in the summer if for no other reason we have the high humidity because of increased moisture but he doesn't seem to suffer in that either although he doesn't deal as well as Blue does... The female I have is a goofy darn thing but she grew up in Idaho outside so the cold doesn't seem to bother her much either.

Don't think I have seen that book.. Had one with a bunch of pictures of the guy workng critters down under with a motorbike and his dogs but haven't seen it for months if not 2 yers.

Some folks here raise and sell some sort of a Kelpie cross that
are sought after as good cattle dogs.

We had one gifted to us years ago, that is the Kelpie from Australia
that I mentioned. That dog could jump over your head 5 times
while you were telling her to 'stay down.'

Aren't most Keplies solid red? The one we had was solid black.

Black and tan is probably the most common color in the states followed by red and tan. They can also be soilds of either of those colors. I didn't see too many solids when I was shopping. Soild Red is the prefered colored for the Show Kelpies down in Australia but they are basically a different breed alltogehter from the Working Kelpie.

You can also dilute either of those colors and get a Blue (diluted black) or a Fawn (Diluted Red).. Last, but not least there is the cream colored ones that are yellow lab like in color (Exact same color gene as well)..

That does not look like a kelpie to me the head shape & colouring is more german shepherd than kelpie & the course looking hair on the back is not like any kelpie i have seen .

The best kelpies I have seen here in Australia come from Elfinvale kelpies in Victoria.
Regards
Tully

Latest posts