• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Docility

I would rather work a bunch that are a little on the flighty side than a herd of gentle spoiled farm cows that close their eyes and walk over you or have to be poked along with a stick for every step they take.
Having said that I don't want cattle that spook and run at the sight of something different either.
Cows are supposed to be protective of their calves, all we need to do is stay out of their way and let them do their job. :wink:

Denny said:
Oldtimer said:
One thing is getting bulls/cows from a breeder known for quiet dispositions- and bulls with genetics for docility....

The AAA now has a Docility EPD which- while not perfect- lists many bulls in use- and with it a person can connect together some of the quieter genetics....I've found that with bulls like Lead On, Rito 6I6, In Focus, the Wye, DDA, etc. that they are pretty indicative of the cattle...

http://www.angus.org/Nce/Research/DocilitySires.aspx

But I don't think anything beats contact with the cattle....Herefords are know as one of the quieter breeds-- but I've saw Herefords that only saw a human a couple times a year that were wilder than antelope...

I've got a day old DDA Fahren bull calf thats a little fire cracker all 68#s of him.

Sounds like you could have yourself a good bucking bull in a few years!

We pasture calve and our calves aren't wild at all-once we canned the EXt derivatives-of the cows I have left there's one hal;f simmy heifer thsat is willing to take flight but my girls can sort all the rest.

One of the things I like most about our Gelbvieh herd, is this time of the year, walking through the girls that hardly even get up as I am calf checking. Some girls paw the straw as I weigh a calf or tag them, but that is about it. I have had some that weren't so quiet, but they head down the road real quick. If a girl is nervous, I'll usually leave then mother up for a few hours before doing anything.
As a side note, when someone comes out to check out the bull pen, more often than not, they will take the one that came up and looked for a "scratch." Not that we encourage "scratching" but some are just that way.

Cattle are like people-some are just wild doesn't matter how you pet them, when you calve or whatever some just want to get on the bar and dance-you can marry yourself to them or move onto something quieter it's everybodsy's choice.

Latest posts

Back