• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dodge Ad

Help Support Ranchers.net:

dakotasky

Reaction score
Was very refreshing to see Dodge's ad "So God made a farmer" in the Super Bowl. Some on here are ranchers, some are farmers, but that was us he was talking about in a good light on national tv. It was even better to hear God mentioned so many times. I drive a Chevy, but way to go Dodge!

That was awesome! I'll admit, I was mainly watching Frontier House on the DIY channel, but had it flipped to the super bowl just in time to see that. Glad I did.

I loved the commercial and was even more proud that a very good college friend of mine is part owner of the advertising company that made it.

Pete Lerma of the Richards/Lerma Group.

Just Awesome!

I think it was great. Way to go Dodge! Talking about God on National TV to most just isn't cool anymore and they did it and made it awesome while giving recognition to the farmer. Couldn't get much better than that!

And what's even more shocking it was voted the No. 1 commercial. The Jeep ad was also great and selected NO 5. Kudos to Chrysler.

Best commercial hands down IMHO. Thanks to Dodge and Paul Harvey for the appreciation of the farmer/rancher and the true American spirit of God, hard work and family.

That was a terrific commercial and it made one proud to be in agriculture whether it was farming or ranching. And the ending where the boy said he wanted to follow in dad's footsteps. I can't think of a greater compliment a man could receive than to have a son that felt that way. Dad must have done something right over the years.

Glad to hear this, I been using Chrysler / Dodge and Jeeps along time, kinda hard to beat an old dodge one ton diesel dually 4 wheel, pulls all my trailers in and out of muddy pens/traps.
Good luck

IF that ad didn't tug at your heart strings something must be wrong. Classy move dodge, nice and refreshing.

Yes it was a great ad. Nice to see our tax dollars being well spent!

That must have been Paul Harvey, Junior.
I haven't heard him speak much, but he sounded a lot like his father.
That would be tough shoes to fill.
WAY TO GO, DODGE! (We drive 'em to Haymaker. Same kind. :D )

Glad you guys brought this to my attention. We must be just about the only
ones that DIDN'T watch the Super Bowl. I was glad to see the good commercials
today, though. I also liked the Budweiser ad. They are usually really good and
this was no exception.

Shortgrass said:
3 M L & C said:
That was a pretty old speach by him was it not?

Yeah, Paul Harvey did that several years ago, and Dodge dug it up from the archives. Doesn't make it any less appropriate.

I agree I thought it was great. I always liked listening to Paul when he was on. Also his son would take his place from time to time and dosnt really sound to much like him.

Faster horses said:
That must have been Paul Harvey, Junior.
I haven't heard him speak much, but he sounded a lot like his father.
That would be tough shoes to fill.
WAY TO GO, DODGE! (We drive 'em to Haymaker. Same kind. :D )

Glad you guys brought this to my attention. We must be just about the only
ones that DIDN'T watch the Super Bowl. I was glad to see the good commercials
today, though. I also liked the Budweiser ad. They are usually really good and
this was no exception.

Paul Harvey. gave this at the 1978 National FFA convention.

Montanans Featured in Super Bowl Commercial

Aaron Flint posted on February 04, 2013 13:15 :: 358 Views

It was smack dab in the middle of what I would say was the best Super Bowl commercial of the night, if not for decades. As Paul Harvey's words described the farmer as "somebody who'd bale a family together with the soft, strong bonds of sharing," a picture flashed across the screen showing a family seated around the dinner table, praying before a meal.

The family, shown in the screenshot below from the Dodge Ram Trucks' Super Bowl commercial "God Made A Farmer", actually happens to live right here in Montana.

02041320Super20Bowl20Browning20Family20PIC_zpsbfb17525.png

The family is none other than the Gustafson's, who ranch south of Browning, Montana on The Two Medicine River where they raise a cross of Angus and Hereford cattle. Seated at the head of the table is Barr Gustafson, along with Barr's 13 year old son Owen (clockwise to the right in the photograph), Barr's brother Wylie of Cut Bank, Barr's 14 year old daughter Greta, and Barr's wife Colleen. (Did you notice the slab of beef in the center of the table?)

I spoke with Colleen Gustafson over the phone Monday morning. I told her how people called me from Kalispell, Butte and elsewhere, noting how the rooms showing the Super Bowl went quiet, and people's eyes were filled with tears as the Dodge ad came on TV. "Just wonderful, I had a tear in my eye too," said Colleen as she recalled watching the ad for the first time. And what about having the iconic Paul Harvey's voice behind the ad? "When we were kids, we had to be perfectly quiet when the weather came on, and when Paul Harvey came on the radio."

Colleen says it was about a month ago that the acclaimed photographer Bill Allard, who has done work for National Geographic- including a piece on Montana's Hi-Line, stopped by their ranch for a photo shoot. The Gustafson's had no idea how their photos were going to be used until they actually aired the night of the Super Bowl. She noted that the producers had to keep everything very tight-lipped. She says there were actually three pictures from their ranch used in the ad. The first was of their daughter's horse "Chilly," then a close-up of Barr, followed by the shot at the dining room table.

Much like the ad's message, Barr Gustafson doesn't merely hold a 24/7 job in owning and running a ranch. He's also a local veterinarian who is used to taking the midnight phone calls to help a neighbor in need. That's part of the reason Colleen says she had to give up her job in town, so she could help run the ranch too.

At the end of our chat over the phone, Colleen explained how thankful she was to Dodge for recognizing America's farmers and ranchers. Ask Colleen where her family buys their Dodge pickup, and she will quickly correct you that it is "Dodges"- plural. "My husband just came in in the midst of it, and he said, 'tell him we buy our Dodge pickups at Northern Chrysler in Cut Bank, Montana."

How did the Gustafson's kids, who go to school in Cut Bank, react when they saw the ad?

Click here to listen to what Colleen had to say:

http://www.northernbroadcasting.com/Talk/FlintReportHeadlines/tabid/519/ID/8497/Montanans-Featured-in-Super-Bowl-Commercial.aspx#.URAaBL3Srnw.facebook

i thought it was a great advertisement too. i kinda teared up at the part where he talked about the boy wanting to follow in his dad's footsteps. when the ad was over my wife and i started talking about it. i told her it reminded me of a day i had with my old man. the summer after i went away for my first semester at college i was getting ready to go back and i really didn't want to - and my dad asked me "so what do you want to do with your life if you don't want to go back to school". i told him i just wanted what he had. a family and farm and ranch. i didn't really realize how much it meant to him but i can remember he was pretty much speechless - which my old man isn't when he is in his giving advice mode. anyhow - that ad really hit home with me and loved it.

oldtimer posted the picture of the gustafsons. i about choked when i saw their picture. wylie and barr would be sons of rib gustafson and if you've ever met rib you know you've met one of the most lived montana rancher/vets there probably ever was. he used to vet for my grandfather and when i see that family at the fair i try my best to get rib to come have a glass of lemonade at our camper and tell more of his stories - they are amazing. greta takes a sheep to the fair and i think owen took his first steer to the fair either last year or the year before. pretty cool.

wish you would see more about "the rest of the story" in agriculture more regularly on TV.

Latest posts