• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Does anybody

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
but me and a few people in Third World countries still change tires by using a Jack-All to break the bead and a couple of tire irons and a rubber mallet to remove and install tires? :?

My local tire shop charges no labour if you buy the new tube from them.

So for $15-18 (depending on tire size) I can get a new tube and tire change. He also carries a fair number of used tires that still have a lot of life in them for seed drills, wagons, etc. which can be had for $10 a piece. So if you have a blown tire, you can get a good tire, tube and change for less than $30.

I've seen far too much time wasted by people trying to dismount and remount tires to bother with it. But then again, I think time is worth something, and find it unacceptable for one man to waste more than 1/2 an hour on a single tire.

But yes, BMR, I know of a few that still change tires that way.

Aaron said:
My local tire shop charges no labour if you buy the new tube from them.

So for $15-18 (depending on tire size) I can get a new tube and tire change. He also carries a fair number of used tires that still have a lot of life in them for seed drills, wagons, etc. which can be had for $10 a piece. So if you have a blown tire, you can get a good tire, tube and change for less than $30.

I've seen far too much time wasted by people trying to dismount and remount tires to bother with it. But then again, I think time is worth something, and find it unacceptable for one man to waste more than 1/2 an hour on a single tire.

But yes, BMR, I know of a few that still change tires that way.

We should buy a tire changing machine. :D We are 35 miles from a tire shop but if it's not too hard of a tire I'm only a couple minutes changing it. The more you do the easier it gets. Tam picked up a couple of wide low pro tires to use on her pony cart. Only problem was they were going on 5 inch wide rims off a old auger cart. I fought with those. Got one on and holding and the other I had to give up and use a different tire. Might try it now that the weather has warmed up a bit. :D

I use the front edge of the loader bucket. Get the tire on a concrete floor and it goes pretty quick.

And then the irons come out. :?

burnt said:
I use the front edge of the loader bucket. Get the tire on a concrete floor and it goes pretty quick.

And then the irons come out. :?

It also works if you lay a piece of 1x2 tubeing 24' long down and drive up on it with a pickup that will break the bead. Car tire type tube's cost me between $5 and $10 15 minutes will get most tires changed.It's $15 for a tire here so at $60 an hour I'm not to proud to change tires by hand.

I bought an old Smith Rolls manual tire machine that works pretty good. Generally go to the tire shop 7 miles down the road and have a coffee while it gets done. I also keep spares for most everything on the place. Many implements use some variation of the same rim so a couple of spares saves lots of time.

We were plagued with flat tires caused by debris left from tearing down buildings and holes from some mean sagebrush,

I called a bunch of tire shops in the city and found a serviceable coates tire machine for $300. It needed a bit of welding, but it worked just fine and is still in use some 10 years later.

We must have changed a couple hundred tires. People keep trying to buy the thing off of us, but it will stay with the ranch.

Guys could repair a tire in a couple of minutes. Biggest problem is finding small punctures.

OG

bought a manual tire changer from Princess Auto on sale for 54$ a while ago, had the opportunity to use it today and was favorably impressed, just used it on 15 in. car tires but it was a lot easier than the pry bar, jack-all method. with tire shops around here all trying to pay for fancy machines for changing mag type wheels an charging 35-40$ per wheel it won't take long to recoup the investment :D

I do it all the time. It cost me about 13 dollars for all the patches (50), rubber cleaner, and glue and it cost 15 to 20 dollars to take one to town. Then it takes me about two hrs to go to and from town. It takes me about 15 minutes using my front-end loader to break it down. :)

I got real tired of fixing flat tires so I bought replacement tires and wheels from these folks. There good folks to deal with and I have not had a flat sence.

Genso Aircraft Tires
530 West 23rd Street
Anniston, Alabama 36201
256-236-5400
wwwnoflat.com

Rocky said:
I got real tired of fixing flat tires so I bought replacement tires and wheels from these folks. There good folks to deal with and I have not had a flat sence.

Genso Aircraft Tires
530 West 23rd Street
Anniston, Alabama 36201
256-236-5400
wwwnoflat.com

I bought a set of aircraft tires from them for my batwing and a set of front tires for the front of the 4010 that I bush hog with - - - very reasonable prices and great products!

Latest posts