• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dr. Tom Dunn

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Dr. Tom Dunn passed away this last Saturday morning. Rest in Peace Dr. Tom.
Oh did I stuggle in his Repro class, but I did pass!!!
He was over the Rodeo team when I was at UW too.

Sorry about your teacher Jody. Bet he probably touched a lot of lives. On a side note, i wasn't aware Wyoming had a rodeo team! :lol: :wink:

leanin' H said:
Sorry about your teacher Jody. Bet he probably touched a lot of lives. On a side note, i wasn't aware Wyoming had a rodeo team! :lol: :wink:
think they won national back in 58 when Frank Shepperson was on the team.... :shock:

probally only really remeber 3-4 proff from college. Dr Dunn when we leared to palpate he had the side of the cow open while we reached in from the backside.... he could feel where we were touching worked alot better then some one standing next to you telling you what you should be feeling.

WyomingRancher said:
He will be missed. We bought his cows 9 years ago when he decided to disperse, still have a few left.
He came to the WSGA meeting in Laramie last spring, in sweats he was just out of the hospital after having surgery.... he had a couple resolutions he wanted to speak his piece of mind on

Dr. Thomas G. Dunn
January 31, 1935 - March 31, 2012
Thomas Guy Dunn, Ph.D, passed away peacefully March 31, 2012, after a brief illness.
He was 77 years old.
Tom was born on a family ranch near Clyde Park, MT on January 31, 1935. He
graduated from Park County HS in Livingston, MT in 1953.
After serving in the Army, Dunn began a long and distinguished academic career in the
study of the science of animal reproduction. He earned an undergraduate degree from
Montana State University in Bozeman; an MS from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln,
and completed his Ph.D from Colorado State University in Ft. Collins.
Dr. Dunn was on the faculty at Purdue University before joining the faculty at the
University of Wyoming in the fall of 1970 as a Professor in the Department of Animal
Sciences in the College of Agriculture.
He was a member of several professional academic organizations including the Society
for the Study of Reproduction (SSR), the Endocrine Society, and the American Society
of Animal Scientists.
He authored or co-authored numerous peer-reviewed scientific journal articles on the
research he conducted focusing on the reproductive physiology of cattle and sheep.
His research on the effects of nutrition on reproduction in beef cattle was groundbreaking
and is used by researchers and producers still today.
During his time at UW, Dunn also served as the Acting Dean of the College of
Agriculture and finished his career as the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. He
retired from UW in 1995 after more than 25 years with the school.
While at UW, Dr. Dunn also was the advisor/coach to the UW Rodeo Team and also
served as a Regional Director of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association (NIRA).
Upon retirement from UW, Tom and wife Nancy moved to a ranch west of Laramie. He
was a member of the Albany County and Wyoming Stockgrowers Associations, the
National Cattlemenʼs Beef Association, The Cowboy Joe Club, and the National Rifle
Association. Tom also served as a member of the Wyoming State Environmental
Quality Council and was a member of the board of directors for Carbon Power and
Light.
Tom firmly believed in the values, friendships and work ethic of growing up on a ranch
and of the Western lifestyle. A quote from Tomʼs favorite movie Lonsesome Dove says
it all: "I god Woodrow, itʼs been quite a party ainʼt it!"
He is survived by his wife of more than 50 years, Nancy; son Jim and daughter-in-law
Julie of Eaton, CO with granddaughters Reilly and Peyton; son Mike of San Diego, CA
with grandson J.T. and Mikeʼs daughter Katie Lannan; brother Gerry Dunn and wife Lila
of Great Falls, MT; and sister Rosemary Queen of Clyde Park, MT.
If interested, the family has asked that memorial gifts be made in Tomʼs honor for the
benefit of either the "Wheel of Brands" Scholarship Program or the UW Rodeo Club,
University of Wyoming College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Dept. 3354, 1000
E. University Ave., Laramie, WY 82071.
A "celebration of life" open house is scheduled for Friday, April 13 from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
at the family ranch. All are welcome.

I will pass the word on to my FB people that may of had classes with Dr Dunn. I knew of him only by name however I am sure some my friends that were on the Rodeo Team knew him. I was enrolled in the Education Department and took my ag classes at juco college at Laramie Co.

Latest posts