• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Drought question (again)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Not here right now maybe in a few weeks. To many plow jockeys.And all of our hay has been sent else where.

You don't want to send them this way, katrina. If it doesn't give us some moisture by the end of May,(and mayber earlier) we'll be asking the same question. Right now all that is greening up is the crested wheat grass.

How about Aberdeen? I know earlier folks from there were buying up some
bred cows. I'd think east would be your best bet. Let us know what you
decide. Sure too bad this question has come up again. :cry: Darn
drought.

Boo coo moisture in MO but little grass growth-been too cold and a few ill timed frosts has stunted growth. If we go directly to summer, forage growth will be terrible for the second straight yr. Very little carryover hay and pastures and hay fields going to crops leaves less for cows.

Neighbor said many cows and pairs no saled in Macon today due to lack of demand.

Not Western Oklahoma or Texas.....cow market keeps sinking....

Maybe NE Oklahoma? SE Kansas??

no grass here, $8 corn has most anything that a mountain goat can walk on, tore up and planted to corn...

Lots of grass and not many cows in a big part of this province. I wish there was some way to make something work for you folks. :(

Best of luck with whatever your decision Katrina.

Many folks up here looking for pasture....Because of the drought/shortage of pasture nationwide- the private leases and the Indian Leases near me are coming up for re-lease have been being priced at $50+ an AUM...We have both moisture ( for now ) and old grass....

And many local folks are refusing to pay that cost-- and if agreements at a lesser price can not be agreed on-- they will be dumping cows/pairs in the weeks to come...
Which will drop the price on cows/pairs---- but in the alternative looking at the longside positive side will make cows/heifers that much more valuable when the drought breaks...

no idea if it is true, but I have heard rumors that western Kansas is so dry, they will not raise a crop, so guys are planting rye or sedan grass, and irrigating it with what little water they have, and fencing it in for grazing...BIG outfits are gobbling it up like crazy.... coffee shop stories, so take it for what it is worth

Faster horses said:
redrobin said:
katrina said:
What direction would a person send cow/calf pairs if they were to sell them?
The fescue belt.

The fescue belt.....is that Missouri and Arkansas, red robin? And what
other state(s) would be included?

I thought that would be Northern BC, AB, and SK :shock:

Western Washington (state) has plenty of grass and water.... Deep into First cutting out here. Wish I knew enough about cattle to take yours in on board/share.

jigs said:
no idea if it is true, but I have heard rumors that western Kansas is so dry, they will not raise a crop, so guys are planting rye or sedan grass, and irrigating it with what little water they have, and fencing it in for grazing...BIG outfits are gobbling it up like crazy.... coffee shop stories, so take it for what it is worth

Havn't seen anything like that yet, but wouldn't be surprised. It wouldn't pay to do that for someone elses cattle, maybe your own. There are more people planting irrigated milo than anything like jigs is talking about. We are planting about half milo. It is still super dry here, but where we are we lucked out and got under a stray cloud for an inch of rain last night.

katrina said:

Katrina I have been selling at Salina for the past few years and have had good luck with them. They advertise like crazy in all sorts of papers. I don't know if people around there are in the market, but at their march cow sale an order buyer from Amerillo Tx sat beside me. So they bring buyers in anyway. Just thought I would throw that info out there. If you call them for some info call the assistant manager. The main manager isn't to pleasant to talk to.

3 M L & C said:
katrina said:

Katrina I have been selling at Salina for the past few years and have had good luck with them. They advertise like crazy in all sorts of papers. I don't know if people around there are in the market, but at their march cow sale an order buyer from Amerillo Tx sat beside me. So they bring buyers in anyway. Just thought I would throw that info out there. If you call them for some info call the assistant manager. The main manager isn't to pleasant to talk to.

We heard yesterday, that they sold a couple thousand pair in Salina. Split them up. Got $500 for the calves, and killed the cows? Don't know how much truth there was to it.

We have one alfalfla field an older one, that has winter killed. We are debating to see if it will be worth cutting and then tear it up and plant something like cane or if we should just tear it up now.... So much is compounded with one another.

katrina said:
We have one alfalfla field an older one, that has winter killed. We are debating to see if it will be worth cutting and then tear it up and plant something like cane or if we should just tear it up now.... So much is compounded with one another.

I had a field like that a few years back. There was enough that lived to make a decent first cutting and then I interceded oats into the stand and got a good oat mix hay crop. Sometimes with alfalfa that looks pretty well gone, it will surprise you how much comes back if you give it a chance.

Best of luck. It rained over night here. I hope it's enough to do some good.

Latest posts