• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dry Stalk Sudan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with it? Might try some on a pivot next year. Supposed to get 3-4 cuttings and on average 3-90 degree days and is ready to bale.

Not real sure what you mean by dry stalk, but we have raised it forever, makes good feed, with some moisture, will make 3 cuttings. We plant in late march hopefully, first comes off early June, second in august, 3 rd just before frost. It usually less quality and more quanity, trick here is seed count, thicker planting, less stem growth, more moisture needed. Dairy people like it, we have covered the more mature hay with plastic and gassed it with anhydrous ammonia, will turn up the feed value.

A few guys have planted it here lately looked like a crop failure to me summers were to cold to get more than one cut and it wasn't much. I normally do corn it works great for us it's ready when hayings done and it feeds well with bullfrog alfalfa.

We plant sudan and get two cuttings, but takes forever to cure. Two weeks usually and never get it baled without a rain of some kind on it. Have seen a few varieties that have this "dry stalk" gene and can bale after 3 days. Or so I have read.

Don't know anything about "dry stalk". Star seed had something out that was to dry in 3-5 days, that don't happen. I went back to a straight sorghum Sudan or Sudan grass because the new BMR varieties take forever to dry down.

I'm thinking that "dry stalk" stuff is probably a "Johnson Grass" relative of some sort. It grows well and dries pretty dang quick. 2-3 days here even with our high humidities. Plus, the chain type beaters on the cutters work better than the roller crimpers. They crack the stalk pretty good. Are the seed round or elongated?

eatbeef said:
Don't know anything about "dry stalk". Star seed had something out that was to dry in 3-5 days, that don't happen. I went back to a straight sorghum Sudan or Sudan grass because the new BMR varieties take forever to dry down.

Ya blue ribbon 3 d. Have you planted it?

Mike said:
I'm thinking that "dry stalk" stuff is probably a "Johnson Grass" relative of some sort. It grows well and dries pretty dang quick. 2-3 days here even with our high humidities. Plus, the chain type beaters on the cutters work better than the roller crimpers. They crack the stalk pretty good. Are the seed round or elongated?

Looking at a picture of the seeds they aren't as round as most sorghum or sudans. Maybe kind of egg shaped.

http://www.ecseeds.com/app/webroot/files/pdf/38-AS9301.pdf

Here is another brand I got a book in the mail from with "dry stalk ". Anyone plant any alta seed?

What is the seeding rate per acre for this and the cost per bag? I was going to plant a cover crop but didn't like what Star Seed was throwing in the mix and have found out it's too late to plant for winter grazing purposes. Looking towards next year now.

DejaVu said:
What is the seeding rate per acre for this and the cost per bag? I was going to plant a cover crop but didn't like what Star Seed was throwing in the mix and have found out it's too late to plant for winter grazing purposes. Looking towards next year now.

I think was around $85 a bag. Seeding rate about the same as other feeds. Star seed is high as hell on price of their stuff. Have a local dealer that brings out and always has stuff around if needed. Usually plant some magnum ultra. I planted lots of cover crop this spring. Some in a summer fallow role and some to graze. If you are doing that in future would recommend green cover seed in blatner ne. They sell some seed to star. What I planted this spring would been close to $40 an acre from star. Was $23 from green cover.

Thanks. I've recently met some guys from Sharp Bros in Healy, Ks and they sure impressed me. Very helpful. Star just wanted to sell. I'll keep green cover in mind also.

We are cutting our Sweet 6 BMR 6 Dry Stalk Sorghum Sudan Grass. It was quite dry from planting date until now, maybe 2 to 2.5 inches total, but the ground was wet when we planted it. It grew quite well. Here is a video of it from yesterday. Not all looked this good, but that entire field was very good. The field I am on today isn't as good.

https://www.facebook.com/brent.gill.12/videos/10153184094427815/?pnref=story

3 M L & C said:
eatbeef said:

Ya blue ribbon 3 d. Have you planted it?

Yes one year, I thought it lacked tonnage over there other varieties. And the 3 day dry down didn't happen.

DejaVu said:

It's definitely not to late to plant a cover crop for grazing in wheat stubble. I planted an oat mix August 30 one year and got alotbof growth. All depends on the first hard freeze.

BRG said:
We are cutting our Sweet 6 BMR 6 Dry Stalk Sorghum Sudan Grass. It was quite dry from planting date until now, maybe 2 to 2.5 inches total, but the ground was wet when we planted it. It grew quite well. Here is a video of it from yesterday. Not all looked this good, but that entire field was very good. The field I am on today isn't as good.

https://www.facebook.com/brent.gill.12/videos/10153184094427815/?pnref=story

How long will it take that to dry out to bale compared to a regular sudan?

I just checked the stuff I cut on Monday afternoon and it is dry. We have been real hot this week, but to me this seems pretty fast. Only problem is our baler is 15 miles from home working on another field.

I'd say that's really good. I just finished baling some channel sweetleaf sudan. Took two weeks for stalk to dry out. Got one rain on it and had to flip it with rotary rake. It was less than ideal picking up a fare amount of regrowth in the bale. It probably wasn't as heavy as what you were cutting either.

Any of you guys try Teff? There are a few guys planting it around here. Really good, fine stemmed hay, and around here they can get 2 cuttings. I would say you guys in Kansas should be able to get 3 or 4 off of it.

90% of the Sudan in this part of the world gets put up as baleage. I don't know with the humidity if it would ever dry down enough to bale and keep right as dry hay.

Latest posts