• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Duramycin-10 question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Duramycin-10 question

It has been recommended that I try giving auction purchased calves Duramycin-10 in their water for the first 3 - 5 days as a preventative measure for scours.
What do you think?

In reading the dosage :
Recommended Dosage Level
Use soluble powder in the drinking water at a drug level of tetracycline hydrochloride per gallon to provide 10 mg/pound of body weight per day in divided doses. (Administer for 3-5 days.)
Source: http://www.drugs.com/vet/duramycin-10.html

Can you convert those directions to TSP or ML per 5 gal of water for a 70 lb calf? A 100 lb calf?
Thanks
SL

Manufacturer: Durvet
Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder
For Use In Drinking Water For Swine, Calves And Poultry.
Antibiotic

Each pound contains 25 g of tetracycline hydrochloride activity.

This package contains 10 g of tetracycline hydrochloride activity.

FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY

NADA 65-140, APPROVED BY FDA

Restricted Drug (California) - Use only as directed.
Mixing Instructions
6.4 OZ WILL MAKE:

100 gal containing 100 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

50 gal containing 200 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

25 gal containing 400 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

12.5 gal containing 800 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

If I got my simple mind wrapped around this I would figure that if you mixed the 12.5 gal with the package that would give you 64mg/gal of water.
So that should be a 70lb calf would need 1.09 of a gallon of the mix and a 100 lb calf a gallon and a half.

I would gladly be corrected if I figured this wrong. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Manufacturer: Durvet
Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder
For Use In Drinking Water For Swine, Calves And Poultry.
Antibiotic

Each pound contains 25 g of tetracycline hydrochloride activity.

This package contains 10 g of tetracycline hydrochloride activity.

FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY

NADA 65-140, APPROVED BY FDA

Restricted Drug (California) - Use only as directed.
Mixing Instructions
6.4 OZ WILL MAKE:

100 gal containing 100 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

50 gal containing 200 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

25 gal containing 400 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

12.5 gal containing 800 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal

If I got my simple mind wrapped around this I would figure that if you mixed the 12.5 gal with the package that would give you 64mg/gal of water.
So that should be a 70lb calf would need 1.09 of a gallon of the mix and a 100 lb calf a gallon and a half.

I would gladly be corrected if I figured this wrong. :D
:twisted: :clap:

Big Muddy rancher

Thanks but I don't thing Duramycin-10 will do what I want to do as I don't have a 12 ½ gal bucket ( DH ) nor do I think a calf will drink an additional 1 ½ gal. of fluid a day.
Now if I could figure out how much D - 10 to add to the milk replacer, I would consider it.

Here's the thing:
I have decided to go away from locally grown Holstein calves off the farm to auction bought calves. I now have 6.
As you know auction calves are exposed to all kinds of communicable diseases while at the barn and you have no prior history on the momma or the calf prior to purchase.

What I am trying to do is set a protocol for all calves purchased at action who have been exposed but don't necessarily show any signs of illness. A preventive measure if you will.

I presently feed a 20 - 15 medicated milk replacer and keep new comers in quarantine for 1 week or until they show no signs of illness.
As scours is the most common illness I administer ½ Durvet bolus for the first 3 days.
http://www.durvet.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=22:calf-scour-bolus&Itemid=65
I also administer a vitamin B complex shot.

What I'm trying to do is up the antibiotic intake for the first 5 days, just a little as a precautionary measure.

Do you see this as over kill?
Do you have any comments and/or suggestions?
Thanks
SL

I'm no Vet which is who you should be talking to for advice but since your feeding a medicated milk replacer then I would think you should just treat the ones that get sick. You are already "mass medicating "with the milk replacer.

Too much antibiotics will harm the good bugs and make the calves less responsive to drugs when they are needed.

Latest posts