• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Easy salt packing job

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Tonight we ran up the valley to where we summer our little bunch. If it ever warms up the grass will explode with all the moisture we've had the past week and there is more coming this weekend! :D Scattering salt here isnt nearly as fun as up on the mountain with my cousin but it was appreciated by the bovines. Sisters hitting the loose trace mineral trough.
DSC00010-2.jpg

While others preferred the trace mineral/salt block. We try to provide our cattle with many and various options of supplements. :roll: :wink:
DSC00015-1.jpg

Split eared (thanks to a tag hang up) heifer calf with wrinkled nose pose.
DSC00012.jpg

Some more of the youngsters.
DSC00014.jpg

Well, it tastes like...........salt.
DSC00013-1.jpg

For only being away from salt/mineral for a week, they sure hit it hard. Sorry for all the tongue wagging. :oops: My cows have horrible manners! :shock:
DSC00016.jpg

Last year our bull injured himself pretty good when he got a stick stuck right next to his sheath. Maybe you remember my photo's at the vet. We decided to ship him before winter and not chance him testing bad this spring. Here is a pretty good reason we might have screwed up! A bull calf out of our best cow and the injured bull.
DSC00011.jpg

Same bull calf. He is built as well as I have seen at this stage in his life. Came small at 84 LBS, hit the ground growing and is just blossoming. Left him a bull and we'll see how he looks this fall.
DSC00025.jpg

The bull we bought in March is coming along nicely although he has some large tracks to fill.
DSC00017.jpg

A little better shot of him. I really like his feet and legs.
DSC00019.jpg

Poster child for the cock-eyed H outfit! I kept this calf a bull too. He's out of a Select bull called Decatur.
DSC00023.jpg

While a Toyota 4-runner aint a very western or romantic salt pack train, it got the job done. The cows are happy, the grass is coming along nicely and the veiw isnt bad. In the coming weeks, I'll find myself a horseback on the mountain more and more. If ya happen to see a guy with a big smile, that'd be me! :D :D :D
DSC00024.jpg

LeaninH, thanks for the photos, nice looking country. Calves are growing well and cows are in good shape.

What elevation is the pasture at?

If you bought that calf's sire, (I'm guessing) and this bull calf is out of the best-adapted cow to your ranching enterprise, other than the discount on the bulls resale, I'd consider that one good-lookin' prospect right now. Maybe could'a A.I.'d for better, maybe not. My point is, your last bull might have replaced himself in spades. Keep us posted this fall and next spring.

Great pictures...very nice looking cattle! Looks to be very beautiful scenery in the background....I would love to see that everyday! That bull calf does look put together.

Dylan Biggs said:
LeaninH, thanks for the photos, nice looking country. Calves are growing well and cows are in good shape.

What elevation is the pasture at?

This pasture is at 5800-6000 feet. Our mountain range goes on up to 9500.

Latest posts