• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Efficient cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker

Reaction score
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Rancher John Barnum is trying to build a herd of cattle that sounds like something out of a dieter's nightmare:

They eat less, but they still get fat.

That trait is increasingly seen as a key to staying in business for ranchers reeling from the effects of high-priced corn.

"We're hoping it'll make us more profitable in the long run," said Barnum, 23, who manages a family ranch in the rangelands of northeastern California.

Last year, the ethanol boom drove the price of corn up nearly 65 percent over six months, sending feed, the cattle business's main expense, soaring. Meanwhile, the price of those animals at slaughter has hardly budged.

In response, many ranchers are hoping to trim their costs by looking at "feed efficiency," a measure of how effectively an animal turns grass or corn into muscle and fat. Ideally, with a higher-efficiency herd, a rancher saves on feed costs but ends up with the same amount of marketable beef.

It's yet another way that high prices for global commodities, from petroleum to grains to milk powder, are altering the economics of food production.

And it's accelerating a move away from a 50-year trend toward larger but generally less-efficient animals.

For the first time, breeding bulls are being marketed for their efficiency, not just their size and pedigree, said David Daley, a cattle expert at California State University, Chico.

"We started realizing that there's also the issue of how much feed does it take to get all those pounds, and maybe big isn't better," said Glenn Nader, a livestock adviser with University of California Cooperative Extension.

The potential for improvement is dramatic. Researchers at the University of California, Davis, have found that some steers beat the average by nearly 30 percent, though others have had improvements closer to 10 percent.

Jim Oltjen, a UC Davis animal nutrition expert, said a typical steer will eat 20 to 25 pounds of feed — mostly corn — and gain 3 to 4 pounds during each day of the typical three- to four-month stay at a feedlot.

Major cattle-feeding operations are installing electronic systems to monitor how much each animal eats and how much weight it gains. That information feeds into breeding programs aimed at producing more efficient cattle in subsequent generations.

GrowSafe Systems Ltd., based in Alberta, Canada, says its sales of efficiency-monitoring systems to commercial cattle operations have doubled in the past year.

One of the company's customers is Harris Feeding Co., which runs the 120,000-animal feedlot visible from Interstate 5 near Coalinga, Calif.

Harris last year launched a program aimed at improving its purebred Angus cattle. For years, the animals were bred for size and meat quality, but the ranchers selling to the firm became concerned that they were missing out on other desirable traits that affect the bottom line, including calf survival rates and, especially, feed efficiency.

"It's a major driver in terms of profitability," said Mike Smith, the company's director of special projects.

But there are trade-offs. While the first generation of steers in the program showed significant efficiency improvements, Smith said the grade of their meat — prime, choice or select — dropped significantly. Smith said it wasn't clear whether the lower-quality end product canceled out the savings on feed.

Unlike Harris, which owns most of the cattle on its lot, most U.S. feeding operations sell "room and board" to animals that still belong to the ranchers who raised them.

That system sets up a tension: Ranchers want to pay as little to feedlots as possible, but they've only got so much grass to feed cattle. With a higher-efficiency herd, a rancher can produce bigger, fatter cattle on grass that require less time at the feedlot to reach slaughter weight.

"What the price of corn does is add value to our grass," said Steve Nash, a rancher in Etna, Calif.

For producers of grass-finished beef, who don't feed their animals any corn at all, high-efficiency cattle are especially attractive. These producers need their animals to mature and get fat without the huge caloric input that they'd get on a feedlot.

What makes an efficient cow? Oltjen, the Davis animal nutrition expert, said researchers and breeders all over the world have been looking for answers, but it's been hard to isolate any single factor.

Smaller breeds tend to be more feed-efficient, he said, but that's not always the case. Other factors range from the natural variation in the size of an animal's liver to the way it absorbs certain nutrients. Some low-efficiency animals, he said, might simply be gluttons, eating more than their digestive systems can handle and eliminating the rest.

In any case, he said, it appears that efficiency is a trait that's passed on genetically, so concentrated breeding programs may be able to yield significant gains.

Sandhusker said:
Smaller breeds tend to be more feed-efficient, he said, but that's not always the case. Other factors range from the natural variation in the size of an animal's liver to the way it absorbs certain nutrients. Some low-efficiency animals, he said, might simply be gluttons, eating more than their digestive systems can handle and eliminating the rest.
I wish he'd given more of his thoughts on this deal. I know the RA ME epd was developed because of concern about how gut mass (mostly liver I think) was inefficient. I can't for the life of me see how it'd be profitable to select against gut mass and especially against the size of necessary organs.

TTB knows a researcher that discovered a bull that was on test that only gained about 2 pounds a day and was more efficient than the high ADG bull that gained 4 pounds a day. I can't remember what the breed was but it was kind of interesting.

have a cold one

lazy ace

lazy ace said:
TTB knows a researcher that discovered a bull that was on test that only gained about 2 pounds a day and was more efficient than the high ADG bull that gained 4 pounds a day. I can't remember what the breed was but it was kind of interesting.

have a cold one

lazy ace

That isn't all that uncommon.

I was at the Beef Development Center in Texas and saw the gain and feed conversion charts for bulls on test. Many low gainers were higher efficiency. There were high gainers with high and low efficiency, and the worst were the low gainers with low efficiency.

Lots of work could be done in this area, but it costs alot and they haven't figured out if it is heritable yet.

At present corn prices, feed input is about 50% cog. Rate is so important because you need to spread maintenance over 4 or 5 # to have a good conversion number. For some reason we couldn't get below 7.5 conversion on steins, and we'd put those old-style enormous simmies right with steins. Now this conversion deal really gets tricky when evaluated on the rail. Its generally held that muscle is a more efficient conversion than fat.

Like Jason noted, we still don't know how we can use this data. I have to think there is a heritability issue given how poorly steins convert - ofcourse they also have thin skins which is another variiable. There may be real opportunity for study.

The short answer for today: herd health is still trump. Nothing kills a feeding period like health issues. Lined out cattle warmed up on feed always feed well.

Gain and Feed Efficiency Data - Auburn Bull Tests

Angus:
ADG=4.24 lbs. per day
FE=7.26 (lbs. of feed per lb. of gain)

Charolais:
ADG=5.38 lbs. per day
FE=5.57

Chiangus:
ADG=3.97 lbs. per day
FE=6.88

Simmental:
ADG=4.11 lbs. per day
FE=6.79

I think that those are feed related numbers but not RFI or Residual Feed Efficiency numbers Mike. These trial with RFI or "Net" feed efficiency would not show up as pounds of feed per pound of gain.

Good way, however, to promote the growth potential of Charolais which is undeniable.

rkaiser said:
I think that those are feed related numbers but not RFI or Residual Feed Efficiency numbers Mike. These trial with RFI or "Net" feed efficiency would not show up as pounds of feed per pound of gain.

Good way, however, to promote the growth potential of Charolais which is undeniable.

The RFI (or "Net")numbers are being calculated now. It will be interesting too because of the 20+ years of measuring feed efficiency.

Whether they are RFI or not, if it takes less feed to gain an equal amount, PLUS gain equally.............it puts you ahead of the game.

These numbers show not only growth potential, they show efficiency and savings.

It takes much more energy to put on a lb. of fat than it does a lb. of muscle. Some say as much as 6 times the amount.

Don't mean to be picky Mike and don't get me wrong - I think there is a place for all breeds in this North American beef industry. In fact I think that diversity is the way we can all survive the drive of the multinationals to make our product generic.

But has there been any study done on how much feed it takes to make bone in comparison to meat or fat. I don't mind you fat statement as the extra hide and hair on our beasts allows for a nice white marble on our grain finished stock without as much bark as the breeds that use back fat in the natural, heat conserving way.

Randy, The theory you have on the hair of your cattle decreasing the needs of backfat is very interesting. I can see that as a way to savings.

To what backfat endpoint do you usually take those cattle to when finishing?

Caloric intake needed to create bone growth has been shown to be constant throughout the life of cattle, but I don't know what percentage of the total diet it takes.

Will look around.

Montana State University did some studies on the efficiency of cattle- and found those hairy old Galloway cows the most efficient for our area , because of the less feed needed (quite a bit less feed per animal needed), to maintain body temperature and condition during the cold weather...But as of now- I haven't found a way to make it efficient enough to balance out the deduction of the buyer/feeders that don't seem to like those hairy bodies in the feedlot..... :shock:\

The unique double coat of hair makes the Galloway an extremely versatile breed, able to withstand extremes of temperature and climate. According to research done at Montana State University, a beef animal which has a hair coat that is thicker by just 2.5 cm (1 inch) would need between 20% and 25% less 'digestible feed intake' to maintain body weight when the weather is cold. Galloways, because of their extra hair, can actually gain weight when on the same ration as other cattle who are losing weight.

Nearly all these tests are "upside down".You need to breed those that are most efficient in their natural environment,not those that are full of starch.

We are currently using dna to score animals for marbling,tenderness and feed efficiency.As we have only tested one batch of 18month cattle we are unable to ascertain if there is a strong genetic link.The results so far fit with my views and visual assesment.
The amount of hair on cattle may be a way for them to keep warm but I also feel that thickness of skin is an important factor.
Wherever in the world you are I am in no doubt "feed effiency" is the only way to profitability :!:

Juan said:
Nearly all these tests are "upside down".You need to breed those that are most efficient in their natural environment,not those that are full of starch.

The two (grass vs. grain efficiency) are highly correlated according to Dr. Lisa Kriese-Anderson who has about 20 years of studying and researching feed efficiency.

Mike said:
Juan said:

The two (grass vs. grain efficiency) are highly correlated according to Dr. Lisa Kriese-Anderson who has about 20 years of studying and researching feed efficiency.
I agree with that 100%.---You start with those that do the best on pasture!

rkaiser said:

Shame on you to have the picture of the most efficient breed (and one of only to pure herdbooks left) and preach the growth of Charolais. If you want raw bone and ineffeciency that is the way to go. I wean galloway calves as big as other english breeds with 200 to 400 lb lighter cows. Moderate framed cows are more effecient if you select for growth.

cymro said:
We are currently using dna to score animals for marbling,tenderness and feed efficiency.As we have only tested one batch of 18month cattle we are unable to ascertain if there is a strong genetic link.The results so far fit with my views and visual assesment.
The amount of hair on cattle may be a way for them to keep warm but I also feel that thickness of skin is an important factor.
Wherever in the world you are I am in no doubt "feed effiency" is the only way to profitability :!:

This is why Galloways are catching back on with the growing grassfed market. The thicker hide and longer hair make them more effecient. The breed died out with the growth of the feedlot industry. The long hair got mudded and before diseases where understood properly mud was considered unhealthy. And a Galloway can marble on grass or at lighter weights because of this hair. They don't need backfat so it goes into the muscle. I ranch in eastern Montana and don't feed my cows any hay or gain ever. Heifers get hay for 60 days during calving. If the angus, herefords, and shorthorns can't match the Galloways they go down the road. You want a more effecient herd make them run with Galloways and purge the ones that can't hack it.

jacksonranch wrote
Shame on you to have the picture of the most efficient breed (and one of only to pure herdbooks left) and preach the growth of Charolais. If you want raw bone and ineffeciency that is the way to go. I wean galloway calves as big as other english breeds with 200 to 400 lb lighter cows. Moderate framed cows are more effecient if you select for growth.

Sorry if you think I was preaching jackson - I was simply not trying to get into a fight as I usually always do on this site. Damn nice to have a Galloway backer or two on here for once.

I put that picture up because I am damn proud to say that I am one of the largest purebred Galloway breeders in Canada. I also have a larger herd of Welsh Black cattle. I have been breeding cattle for type rather than just promoting "breed" characteristics for years. I truly feel that each of these true purebred cattle breeds are being overlooked in the conventional industry and have built a beef company captivating the hardiness of the breed and that relationship to their superior carcass qualities.

Hay cymro - I have been waiting for a name like that on this site for years now. Welcome to ranchers.net. What breed are you testing old boy - Galloways or your home land cattle (guessing that cymro name has something to do with Wales.)

Hi rkaiser.
Thanks for the welcome,and you're quite right cymro is welsh for "welsh man".
Feed effiency is what is being overlooked in our beef industry.My joining the Ranchers net forum looks like I might be preaching to the converted.
Native breeds that thrive in a specific enviroment are what is required to be able to make a profit.Also it may be important what price you get for your stock but even more so is what they have cost to get you there.As in my earlier posting I am prepared to look at any technology in my quest to produce an elite herd of Polled Welsh Black cattle.The traits expressed by my cattle seem to mirror what this debate is all about.Take a look and make up your own mind www.rhuddelwelshblack.co.uk
Nos da [good night]

What is the name of your Galloway ranch I've probably heard of it. My father may have bought a bull from you at one time or another if you where in business in the 80s in western Canada.

Also I have some neighbors in Terry that raise Galloways. They tried a Welsh Black as a cross for awhile and said they where really happy with it. I'm currently looking for a third breed to put in my crossbred herd. I run Galloways and Shorthorns. I always stay English. The frame scores on continental are to big for this country. Angus milk to hard also. If I run Angus I have to select for lower then breed average milk EPDs.

Wales, my ancestors immigrated from Scotland to Ireland to found the first Quacker church of Ireland. During the flight of the earls they fled to Wales for a few generations. After that they came to America in the late 1600s. My sister's name is Bronwen.

Latest posts