• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Election Canada

Help Support Ranchers.net:

per said:
That's the interesting thing here OT. Our last parliament was a minority government. In the session there was a bill passed that set fixed election dates for the first time. But, the law didn't apply to a minority government. The PM can ask the Governor General (Queens Representative) to dissolve parliament, which he did today. In a minority the opposition can bring down the government on a non confidence vote. This has been the longest lasting minority in Canadian history. The PM claims not enough was getting done because the opposition could out vote the will of the government. I guess he was tired of the hassle of pandering to them and dare I say compromising. I personally like the idea of minority governments because they do require working together. He is correct though, when the opposition stops co-operating not much gets done and an election might be indicated.
Normally a minority government can be a pretty good government,nobody gets too out of control. In this case though Harpers not able to do anything,Libs and NDP pretty near fight his breathing. I want to see our young offenders act changed as well as a number other issues,I'm hoping really hard we go majority conservative!!!

per,liked your summation of the candidates,pretty well nailed it :)

It is already over and the best person we have for the job is Stephen Harper...He will have victory before the polls in Alberta and BC close....?????He deserves to have a majority Goverment to see what he can accomplish..I think Canada is going to find themselves in economic hardships in the next few years and I hope he can soften that time period....He is by far the best candidate and that is somwhat sad.....Do not get me wrong I feel he has done a good job in alot of area's..but when the competetion of his to run our country is so lame,It tells me that no real good leader wants any part of leading our country..Honestly we at this point in time are lucky to have a leader who wants to lead like Stephen Harper does.....My vote is for Stephen harper...

nonothing said:
It is already over and the best person we have for the job is Stephen Harper...He will have victory before the polls in Alberta and BC close....?????He deserves to have a majority Goverment to see what he can accomplish..I think Canada is going to find themselves in economic hardships in the next few years and I hope he can soften that time period....He is by far the best candidate and that is somwhat sad.....Do not get me wrong I feel he has done a good job in alot of area's..but when the competetion of his to run our country is so lame,It tells me that no real good leader wants any part of leading our country..Honestly we at this point in time are lucky to have a leader who wants to lead like Stephen Harper does.....My vote is for Stephen harper...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

nonothing said:

:shock: Well you obviously don't listen to CBC or you would understand that he can't be trusted, that he has a secret agenda, that he slaps down the media and on and on with a string of bad traits that NO other gov't leader has ever shown before! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Now to the serious - I am glad to hear that there is someone who will finally have the guts to say that Harper has done a good job. When I ask his detractors what he has done wrong, no one can give a solid example of something that he has made a mess of. And with the unfriendly, suspicious scrutiny that follows every move he makes, that strikes me as significant.

CBC made me so mad this morning that I could have blown a gasket had I not just reached over and HIT the off button.

nonothing said:

OMG, Nono is supporting a Conservative, pinch me! :shock:

aplusmnt said:
nonothing said:

OMG, Nono is supporting a Conservative, pinch me! :shock:

I support the best person For the job of running my country..To worry about party pride,makes no sense to me,all party pride does is get you bad leadership...

I am pleasantly surprised at your commitment Nonothing. I sincerely hope the Conservatives win a majority so they can accieve what they originally set out to accomplish.

Burnt, you and I must have been listening to the same leftovers from the 60's hippies today, I too had to shut them off. Probably a good thing that cell phone service hasn't reached Anahim Lk. yet!

Conservatives proposed a 2cent/lt reduction in diesel fuel tax. Liberals think a 7cent increase in carbon tax to save the environment. Big scandal with the website ad of the conservatives having a bird (name of which escapes me at this moment. One of the Liberals vieing for leadership wanted it to be Canada's national bird) poop on the shoulder of the liberal leader (Dion). Stupid and ridiculous, PM Harper apologised and in typical Canadian fashion all agreed to try to play nice in the sandbox. Oh, Pepin was the name of the bird. Hence it is called the poop for Pepin scandal, or something like that. Never seen one of these Pepin birds around here. Must be an eastern thing. Harper/Palin, that would be my political dream team. :wink:

per said:
Conservatives proposed a 2cent/lt reduction in diesel fuel tax. Liberals think a 7cent increase in carbon tax to save the environment. Big scandal with the website ad of the conservatives having a bird (name of which escapes me at this moment. One of the Liberals vieing for leadership wanted it to be Canada's national bird) poop on the shoulder of the liberal leader (Dion). Stupid and ridiculous, PM Harper apologised and in typical Canadian fashion all agreed to try to play nice in the sandbox. Oh, Pepin was the name of the bird. Hence it is called the poop for Pepin scandal, or something like that. Never seen one of these Pepin birds around here. Must be an eastern thing. Harper/Palin, that would be my political dream team. :wink:

It was a Puffin. A East coast sea bird i think. :lol:

If you can believe the CBC..... PM Harper apologized to the Liberals before it was found the Conservative party had nothing to do with the puffin website.

Per, you're excused with the bird name, who can understand a Quebecer? :p :lol: Hopefully Dion will keep talking his way out of the job, just like he's been doing.

What do you think about the Thunder Hay party wanting to take part in the debate?

gcreekrch said:
If you can believe the CBC..... PM Harper apologized to the Liberals before it was found the Conservative party had nothing to do with the puffin website.

Per, you're excused with the bird name, who can understand a Quebecer? :p :lol: Hopefully Dion will keep talking his way out of the job, just like he's been doing.

What do you think about the Thunder Hay party wanting to take part in the debate?
Thunder Hay party???

Read about the Puffin poo thing....kinda chuckled...... :lol2: :lol2:

Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:
Our Prime Ministers choices are:

Current sitting Prime Minister Steven Harper. MA in economics. IMO, boring, intelligent and an excellent PM. Has a couple of kids and a wife. She is a country gal who's brothers are excellent competition at antique tractor pulls here in Alberta. He is very conservative and a little stoic. Fluent in English and French.

Opposition leader Stephan Dion. Liberal, cabinet experience in previous liberal government. PhD in Political Science. His plan to save the world is to break those of us who produce things by a carbon tax called the Green Shift Plan. Is currently being sued by a legitimate environmental company who has dibs on the Green Shift name. He has a wife, an adopted child and a dog named Kyoto (not kidding). He speaks fluent French and broken English.

NDP leader Jack Layton. (Left wing union type party) also has a PhD in political science. He stands for not standing for whatever anyone else is standing for. Usually way left of Liberal. Has a wife who is also an MP and was a Toronto City Councillor. He speaks fluent English, French and his wife's native tongue which I think is Mandarin.

Of course what would an election be without the other fringe party the Green Party. Elisabeth May is in charge of the Green Party a left on the environment and right on economics party. She is a Lawyer was the president of the Canadian wing of the Sierra Club for several years and also worked for former conservative PM Brian Mulroney. (must be a lawyer thing) She has a daughter and does not own a car and has resisted the cellphone. Her English is excellent and I don't have a clue about her french. She will be useful to us conservatives to split the left wing vote.

These bios are fresh out of my head, I think they are fairly accurate. I definitely have a conservative bias and usually look through that lens.

Having said all of that. We Don't get to vote for the Prime Minister. We vote for our local Member of Parliament. Whoever has the majority of MP's gets to have their guy as PM. It is a balance of voting for the person and voting for the Party. We also have a Senate but it is appointed (for life) and usually doesn't do much unless it is to interrupt the will of the people.
:? :wink:

I think you nailed it pretty well. :D

Well this year I am just going to look who is running for the PC party and go from there.

I sure am going to miss Bob Mills he was a great representative for our area, if you needed something done he was your man. I hope who ever takes over for him is as dedicated as Bob was.

Never heard about the Thunder Hay Party but the more the merrier. I hear that Elizabeth May is going to be back in. Not since the Turner/Mulroney debate have they been even mildly interesting. Harper made a big announcement that the troops will be pulled from Afghanistan in 2011. Tried to make it sound fresh except he announced that in the spring sitting.

Thunder Hay = Green

You can nearly pick them out of the crowd like cull heifers out of your calf crop.

Sad part about them is they're as narrow minded as we are.

Harper Promises to Cut Canada Diesel Fuel Tax in Half
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bloomberg -- Sept. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper pledged to cut fuel taxes for shipping companies if he wins the Oct. 14 election and said opposition plans to tax energy would undermine a slowing economy.

The governing Conservatives would reduce the country's excise tax on aviation and diesel fuel by half, saving shippers in all modes of transport about C$600 million ($562 million) a year, Harper said today.

``At a time when Canadians are concerned about affordability and energy prices are rising, we should be doing what we can to lower prices,'' Harper, 49, told reporters today at a produce warehouse in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Larrry said:
Harper Promises to Cut Canada Diesel Fuel Tax in Half
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bloomberg -- Sept. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper pledged to cut fuel taxes for shipping companies if he wins the Oct. 14 election and said opposition plans to tax energy would undermine a slowing economy.

The governing Conservatives would reduce the country's excise tax on aviation and diesel fuel by half, saving shippers in all modes of transport about C$600 million ($562 million) a year, Harper said today.

``At a time when Canadians are concerned about affordability and energy prices are rising, we should be doing what we can to lower prices,'' Harper, 49, told reporters today at a produce warehouse in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Yup,and in the meantime the Liberal Party,NDP and Green partys want the fuel taxes put even higher,and regultate our oil and gas industries..... :roll:

Latest posts