• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Electric fencers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill

Reaction score
Most of our fence is 4 wire barbed but we are looking at doing some new land with electric, high tensile.

What are the best brands of electric fencers.

and that brings me to another ?? have a neighbor who says a 6-joule fencer is what i need (i plan on electric fencing the b-wire to keep the critters off it). so, with all of 7 acres, 2-3 strand electric fence, cows, horses, maybe goats-is 6 joules gilding the lily? mine would only have cornfields to get in to, and that's after breaching the electric and 3-strand barbed...
love you guys!!

Gallagher.....if you can afford them! We have one from the Coop, works good. My father-in-law always had one around the bull pens since before I come here 22 years ago, same fencer all those years. I don't think you can buy that brand anymore, it was called Bee, or something Bee, or Bee something. That fencer has never quit working, we're still using it.

Please remember that it is not legal to use a electric fence on barb wire.
A small child can become tangled and killed ( at least 3 cases are reported from around the world) We use Hallman & Premier 1 with good luck
/www.premier1supplies.com/ Bruce

i'll have to see if gallagher is available in the u.s. the problem is: "if you can afford one.."! what's next best? this is a one-income household... :roll:

BC--i'd be running it inside b-wire, and there aren't any kittle lids for more than 2 square miles...AND i'm in nebraska, which counts for something doesn't it? :D

The groud is more important than the fencer the cheaper models work fine JUST make sure you have a good ground sometimes you may need to put in more than one ground rod.I have never herd the law on hot barb wire if it is a law here they sure dont enforce it as that type of fence is common place around here.

A good rule of thumb for fencers is use a little more than you think you'll need-lots of ground rods-the proper kind not a piece of rusty rebar-if possible use a 110 volt over a battery fencer. We babysit 5 12 volt fenncers all summer its a pain. Gallagher's are in my opinion worth the money.

help me out here. the ground rod should go how far down? i'm thinking re-bar, 5 foot, in the ground 3 foot, but i don't know where i came up with that.. :oops:

what do you guys reccomend (sp?) to use for ground bar, how deep to put it, etc., etc.??

again, if i can't find/afford gallagher, what's next best? or would you like to deliver not only a fencer but a donkey to boot? i could maybe afford a 0.5% finders fee... :D

chuckie said:
help me out here. the ground rod should go how far down? i'm thinking re-bar, 5 foot, in the ground 3 foot, but i don't know where i came up with that.. :oops:

what do you guys reccomend (sp?) to use for ground bar, how deep to put it, etc., etc.??

again, if i can't find/afford gallagher, what's next best? or would you like to deliver not only a fencer but a donkey to boot? i could maybe afford a 0.5% finders fee... :D

We use a 8 ft ground rod here and drive them in as far as I can usally only leave a couple of inches sticking out.I usally just make my ground rod from a piece of 5/8 cold rolled iron and weld a bolt on it to attach the ground wire.

Denny is right; your ground is very important-use 8' galvanized ground rods driven into moisture if possible- if problems you may have to add more rods. Do a google search on Gallagher-they have some excellent manuals showing proper setups for fencing. Speedrite makes a good fencer at a more reasonable cost than Gallaghers. If at all possible use 110v over battery and solar models-much more reliable and a lot less bother!

Spend the money on copper clad ground rods, two should be enough to surround your acreage. If you can find them International makes one hot sum-- of a fencer. Put your grounds 10 feet or so apart, and use ceramic corner rocks. Wire your grounds in with clad copper wire, and be careful exposing horses to the juice.

I have several electric fencers. A 110 volt one that I use where I can plug it in, and a couple solar/battery powered ones for out in no-man's land. They all work good. One of them, is fencer/solar panel and battery, all in one unit. Very handy!!!!! I believe the brand name is Parmak,or something like that.
As others have said, ground rods are IMPORTANT. The proper copper-clad ones are well worth it.

On one 110v charger I have it grounded to the wire that's fastened alongside the utility pole (that's buried with the pole). Have several miles of fence on that one and all of the lights on the tester light up.

The only place I am using fence chargers,is at water crossings and they are solar,always buy more joules than you need and always use copper clad ground rods.makes no sense to go rebuild creek crossings every time it floods,so two hot wires and one ground across the creek crossings is about as good as it gets around here................good luck

I am sure the electric fences I have in use would not meet the recomendations of the fencing people. The fencing people recomend using galvanized ground rods, not copper coated, something about joining steel wire to copper. I think if you used copper wire from fence charger to the ground rod, copper would be ok. They do not recomend using the same ground as is used by your utililty, or the ground where your electricity enters a building.

build your fence, buy 40 foot of 3/8 log chain....tie one end to the fence, throw the other over a power line. nothing will touch the fence twice.

jigs--i think i'm in love!! all these other guys are really confusing me and you made it simple!!! i don't even have to buy the log chain, i've got MILES of it here and not only just 3/8".

and the REAL plus is, i have hot wire from the co-op not 25' from the start of the fence! i wonder if i could get some town kids to try it for me..... :)

just kidding, of course..

now i'm gonna re-read all the responses and get back to you all with some (hopefully) smart questions. just don't expect too much--i AM a female, ya know...

Chuckie,
I am not worried about you having dumb questions because you are a woman...it is the Cornhusker thing that is inevitably going to cause you to utter dumb questions....

go Cats![/img]

Bill- "Anyone with experience with the Parmak brand of fencers?"

I have a Parmak fencer. It is 6volt battery/solar. I'm not sure how many joules. I use it on a 1/4 section of crossfenced pasture and it has plenty of zap for that.
It is all in one unit (energizer,battery and solar panel) which makes it really easy to move around and set up. It also has a guage on it that shows your fence condition. It is all in a really sturdy metal case.

I like it!!!! :lol:

Latest posts