• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Electric fencers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Good luck Chuckie: Let us Know how it goes.
The best tester is a 6 month old bull calf. He will put his wet nose on it and when you hear that current jump and zap his nose and he starts bucking and jumping you will know it workes.

SASH said:
I've actually seen articles saying that the PEL fencer is better than the Gallagher.

Don,t believe that I have had 2 pel fencers.They spent more time in the repair shop.then on the fence.As far as I,m concerned for the money even Parmark beats a Pel.

I use a 1500 Gallagher, and a Parmark .Anyone needs some parts for a pel fencer.

I have had several freinds that worked for Galladher and another for speed-rite as sales reps.

Here's my take. Gallagher has great products, you pay for it. You also are paying for service, whether you use it or not. I travel to lots of feed stores. Seldom do I see a gallagher charger on the "warrenty bench" in the back. So, you are also paying for some security.

Feed stores vary widely as to how much they really know. Get in contact with then factory rep. They would rather you set it up right and give the good word of mnouth than to have you make a mistake out of lack of knowledge and blame the product.

just my two cents on how I'd approach it

PPRM

We've never had a Gallagher, but I recommend their Fault Finder. Saves alot of wear and tear on the ole legs looking for the short. It points you in the right direction to start looking, great gadget! Local feedstore sells Gallagher, and since they're going t**s up, maybe we could get a deal on a fencer now.

Shelly said:
We've never had a Gallagher, but I recommend their Fault Finder. Saves alot of wear and tear on the ole legs looking for the short. It points you in the right direction to start looking, great gadget! Local feedstore sells Gallagher, and since they're going t**s up, maybe we could get a deal on a fencer now.

Shelly

Gallagher makes some fencers that have a remote.So you can shut your fencer off from anywhere on the fence. Pretty handy item. I think it might also be a fault finder too.

If you buy any fencer put in a lighting diverter is worth the $30.00..or so

PPRM said:
I have had several freinds that worked for Galladher and another for speed-rite as sales reps.

Here's my take. Gallagher has great products, you pay for it. You also are paying for service, whether you use it or not. I travel to lots of feed stores. Seldom do I see a gallagher charger on the "warrenty bench" in the back. So, you are also paying for some security.

PPRM

I agree you pay for Gallagher products. But in the long run it pays.

I should have also said,

If I were to put in a system, it would likely be Gallagher. If you really know what you are doing, then you can do the other stuff in my opinion.

Shelly, a lot of Gallagher reps do install on the side. They have some unique relationships with the way product is repped. I say this in that the feed store going out of business may be an opportunity for someone that is a hard worker, intelligent and personable. Somewhat like FH with the mioneral.Dang, you seem to fit that description I gave of a person to take this on,

Haymaker is already a Gallagher fan, your first sale could very likely be to him.

I also mentioned contacting factory reps in this thread. Factory reps often troubleshoot things done wrong. This makes them a good source to talk to BEFORE installing products, they can save you a ton of headaches and money by helping you into products that matc and fit your situation,

PPRM

frenchie said:
SASH said:
I've actually seen articles saying that the PEL fencer is better than the Gallagher.

Don,t believe that I have had 2 pel fencers.They spent more time in the repair shop.then on the fence.As far as I,m concerned for the money even Parmark beats a Pel.

I use a 1500 Gallagher, and a Parmark .Anyone needs some parts for a pel fencer.

That's good to know. I may be needing to buy a bigger fencer this year. I had my mind set on a Gallagher earlier this spring and then I was sorta talked into buying a PEL. Fortunately, I haven't bought it yet.

If you want the best and can afford it,buy a gallagher.You defiantly won't regret it!I bought one quite a few years ago,i had it turned on one night,when a thunderstorm came through and lightning hit the wire.I found the fencer in pieces the next morning.I should have had a lightning diverter like frenchie said on the wire.Didn't even think twice about spending less money,and going and buying another kind of fencer.Just went and bought another gallagher.After that i took the other gallagher in pieces in to where i bought it,just so they could see what happens to them when they are hit by lightning.He said he would like to see if he could fix it,i told him if he wanted to go ahead,but i thought it was done.They phoned me back the next week,and said they had it fixed and i could come pick it up.It still works perfect.

George said:
The best way to explaine it is a joule is a measure ment of the pain that can be felt when the capasitor discharges - - - capasitive discharge is used so that a very high voltage can be sent down the line without sending enought current to cause real damage. But if you get into a fence that has enough joules you will remember it and stay away - - this is what makes the stray dogs make a wide birth of your property. Yes $170.00 is a large amount of money but it should have lighting protection and last for several years. And with proper grounding mine turns anything I have put into it when properly trained. Cheaper chargers are tested by young animals and stubborn older ones but the good ones make believers out of them.
You get what you pay for, Chuckie! Don't be "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish". One killed calf or lost cow hit by a truck isn't worth moaning about $170.00. Do it right - once - and don't worry about it again! Besides, the trucker who hits your cow because you were irresponsible in keeping it confined - might sue you for a heck of a lot more $$ than $170.00. And you'd LOSE the case. Ask your Attorney. It's a tough world! Stick a wet finger into a light socket. You won't do it again, and a cow or a dog won't poke their wet nose on a charged wire more than once!

well, doc, your reminder to not be penny-wise but pound-foolish is well taken: that's why i hooked into the experience available on this forum.

that said, what's better: a 12 volt gallagher (yeah-i found one!), or a parmak 12V or 110V? let's assume a good ground and 7.73A to fence (just got a re-valuation from the tax people-gotta love the government , so i know EXACTLY what i own), 3 strands.

hope i drive you all as nuts as you drive me :)

Willie Altenburg used to manage Amercan Breeders and now is in upper management with Genex-he lives in Fort Collins and is a good friend of mine.

Doc;
Nebraska is an open range state, with only one case determined otherwise to my limited knowledge. Not that you want critters out, but the occasional, unavoidable happening you are not liable for in good ol' NE. Coloradifornia might have different laws.

We have a Gallagher and a Parmark. We didn't know much when we purcashed the Parmark and the guy we bought it from was no help at all. It didn't work very well (wasn't grounded right, but we didnt' know that) so we bought a Gallagher. The man who sold it came and helped us set it up. Sure, it cost us a bit for his help, but it was more than reasonable, he really worked at it, and as a result the darn thing WORKS. So we have a Parmark sitting around here, but we can use it now, thanks to the Gallagher rep/dealer.

Our advice? Buy a Gallagher. Service is everything, especially when you aren't familiar with electric fence.

would it be possible for you and chuckie to get together and work a deal on your extra charger - - - remember you can never have more ground than you need!!

Bill said:
Most of our fence is 4 wire barbed but we are looking at doing some new land with electric, high tensile.

What are the best brands of electric fencers.

You should only use 12.5 ga Hi-Tensile wire for electric fence, especially of you have alot of fence. I use either Gallagher or Stafix energizers and accessories. Find the fencer that meets your requirements, then get one bigger. In variably you always expand your fence.

If you already have the barbed wire fence in place you can still at electric fence by using offset insulators. The beauty of electric fence is you can space your posts as far away from each other as you like, within reason.

TimH said:
I have several electric fencers. A 110 volt one that I use where I can plug it in, and a couple solar/battery powered ones for out in no-man's land. They all work good. One of them, is fencer/solar panel and battery, all in one unit. Very handy!!!!! I believe the brand name is Parmak,or something like that.
As others have said, ground rods are IMPORTANT. The proper copper-clad ones are well worth it.

I HAVE NEVER HERD OF COPPER GROUND RODS BEING USED FOR ELECTRIC FENCING. COPPER WILL HAVE A CHEMICAL REACTION WITH THE MOIST SOIL, MAKING YOUR GROUNDING USELESS. GROUND RODS SHOULD ALWAYS BE GALVANIZED. CHECK THE GROUND RODS ON YOUR HOUSE, BARN ETC. TO SEE.

Pappy all of mine are copper and work just fine. You may know something we don't but it works for me and everybody I know.

Latest posts