• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Elko invite

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Well I guess most of y'all know I write and recite a little cowboy poetry. I've been out to Elko Nevada for the big gathering in late January several times as a spectator to see the professional folks do it and to listen to good cowboy music. Earlier this year, with a fair bit of "nudging" from my wife and daughter, I submitted some stuff to see if I might get to give it a go out there at some programs they put on. Well, the invite came for November 19th as part of an open mic program. I'm sure nervous and excited. I'll include the link as it will be live streamed. So if you're low on misery and need to get filled back up, listen at your own risk. I'll have about ten minutes of a two hour program. And they said depending on who accepts other invites, I may have a little extra time. So I guess we will make a trip west and see how it goes. Would appreciate any positive thoughts ya have laying around. I'm just an amateur at this stuff and crowds make me flighty like an old range cow.

Good stuff, The more you do it the better you get,
I used to do a little reciting at a few smaller gatherings and even Maple Creek which at the time was only second in size behind Pincher Creek, Both great gatherings with Elk quality poets and then us amateurs but we were all made to feel welcome.
It might take a few times but you get a bit of a rush and your nerves do settle down,

Congratulatiosn. Don't worry you have got this. We have talked about going again this year. I told the wife this and she said well we have to go now. It will be 5 years since we went to Elko. We will have to see if we can make it.

This isn't the big gathering, just a smaller deal on November 19th. The actual gathering is in Late January and early February.
I went back and read it and realized it was not the big show in January. I also looked at the route and mileage. That time of the year I could most likely take 84 to Mountain Home ID and straight south to Elko. In January that might not be the best route. That is the week of our anniversary and the wife is saying things about an anniversary trip....... might happen.

Well I guess most of y'all know I write and recite a little cowboy poetry. I've been out to Elko Nevada for the big gathering in late January several times as a spectator to see the professional folks do it and to listen to good cowboy music. Earlier this year, with a fair bit of "nudging" from my wife and daughter, I submitted some stuff to see if I might get to give it a go out there at some programs they put on. Well, the invite came for November 19th as part of an open mic program. I'm sure nervous and excited. I'll include the link as it will be live streamed. So if you're low on misery and need to get filled back up, listen at your own risk. I'll have about ten minutes of a two hour program. And they said depending on who accepts other invites, I may have a little extra time. So I guess we will make a trip west and see how it goes. Would appreciate any positive thoughts ya have laying around. I'm just an amateur at this stuff and crowds make me flighty like an old range cow.

Congratulations! That is an honor. Just be yourself and you will be fine. Work on an opening line that draws laughs and then just be yourself and if you forget a line, improvise. Wish I could travel. Looking forward to hearing your recording. You write excellent old-style cowboy poetry.

Congratulations! That is an honor. Just be yourself and you will be fine. Work on an opening line that draws laughs and then just be yourself and if you forget a line, improvise. Wish I could travel. Looking forward to hearing your recording. You write excellent old-style cowboy poetry.
Just being himself will draw laughs……..😂😂

Well the poetry open mic program is this Saturday November 19th from 6-8 Nevada time. I have been asked to kick things off with a fifteen minute set. Still plenty nervous and excited. Not sure how the streaming deal works but it has a free trial. Which is good because I'm fairly certain I'm not worth having to pay for. Anyway, this is the reminder a few of y'all who are low on misery asked for. Link below. I'll try not to embarrass me or you. No promises. 😁

https://www.westernfolklife.tv/browse

Well the poetry open mic program is this Saturday November 19th from 6-8 Nevada time. I have been asked to kick things off with a fifteen minute set. Still plenty nervous and excited. Not sure how the streaming deal works but it has a free trial. Which is good because I'm fairly certain I'm not worth having to pay for. Anyway, this is the reminder a few of y'all who are low on misery asked for. Link below. I'll try not to embarrass me or you. No promises. 😁

https://www.westernfolklife.tv/browse
Weather and roads are looking good so it is looking like we will be there to either applaud or laugh which ever is appropriate. Today is actually our anniversary. We (the wife) decided that rather than do something today we would go to Elko on Saturday. Which freed me up today to haul a load of calves to the sale for a neighbor. While I was there I bought 5 calves for the wife as an anniversary present. She was thrilled....:)

We had to have a Speech class in High School was Required class to graduate. I took it the last semester actually had to get out of Commencement practice and give my last speech so I could graduate. The teacher was one of the very few I never liked. Thought leaning H has had many opportunities to talk in front of a large audience.

Weather and roads are looking good so it is looking like we will be there to either applaud or laugh which ever is appropriate. Today is actually our anniversary. We (the wife) decided that rather than do something today we would go to Elko on Saturday. Which freed me up today to haul a load of calves to the sale for a neighbor. While I was there I bought 5 calves for the wife as an anniversary present. She was thrilled....:)
How many years have y'all been hitched Mr Webfoot? It'll be fun to meet y'all.

no heckling, well maybe a little :)

Latest posts