• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

entering my third year of beef raising

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Reaction score
The goal is still to build up the biggest herd I can and do it while using motorized stuff the least possible amount.

I put together a few things that happened during my second year that will help me.

got a M Farmall or Farmall M, however that goes
ft.jpg

got a rake
hr.jpg

got a square baler. These knotters are chinese to me....should be fun
JD04-1.jpg

got a cantle/banana bag...I've wanted one for a long time. This was going to make me or break me as a rancher :D
ca2.jpg

got some chickens
2.jpg

yummy eggs!
2d.jpg

added to the chicken herd
2f.jpg

added a coming yearling stud colt to the string....Hancock bred
aaa3.jpg

It's been a chore getting him healthy.
gg8.jpg

Pack mule in training....got my future pack mule that I'm going to need for packing salt and mineral to pastures in the future. I'm saving my pennies for a pack saddle and panniers.
3j.jpg

I can't believe I haven't subscribed to this sooner! Got 2 issues now....good stuff!
aaa.jpg

just grabbed a couple pics

9aa.jpg

8t.jpg

6f.jpg

snow1.jpg

Looks like things are coming together. :D

I see that Working Ranch magazine will even help you pick out your new ATV. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great pics as usual. :D

I never would of guessed it, but I have to agree with BMR.:???::lol: I bought the first ATV ever used on the farm this winter. Not that we did things on horse back before, mostly just a good old truck, but I wondered how we ever got by after the first week.

I do commend you on what you are doing though, looks like you have it figured out pretty good.

really enjoy your pic's and admire your enthusiasm. have done a lot of raking with one like yours, and an awful lot of baling with a 14T,224T, 336,346, 347,a massey and a couple of new hollands and my word of advice is try to find a tractor with a live PTO to run the baler. M's are/were great old tractors but unless it's a Super M TA you have no live shaft,a real incumberance to any PTO work

R A, your hopes, dreams, and worthy aspirations remind me of my own when I was younger. You are a lot better photographer, though, than I will ever be. Keep on a chuggin'; it's a fun ride. :)

Keep working RA it's worth it.

BTW WORKING RANCH is by far the most informative and best magazine I take in. I have even seen a person or 2 from this site in there.

I am glad you are doing what you are doing because we get the benefit of some nice pictures. Congratualations and keep up the good work, I mean play! :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Looks like things are coming together. :D

I see that Working Ranch magazine will even help you pick out your new ATV. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great pics as usual. :D

Thank you! Things kinda are coming together, slowly. I made bad cow purchasing decisions at the start here and made a decision to cull hard and start over with a low number of cows. I am only going up with cow numbers now though....that's the only thing that has gone backwards.

What's an ATV??? I must of skipped over that article :D

Faster horses said:
Looks like you've got it figured out. Good luck in the coming
30-40-50 years!!!

Great photos. Thanks!

Thank you! ....and I need to live another 200 years for my plan to come together. :D

burnt said:
Sounds like you're a man with a plan!

May all good providence be with you!

Thank you! My plan involves people on my road stopping by and just giving me their land, so I don't know how fool-proof of a plan it is :D

North Ridge Ranching said:
I never would of guessed it, but I have to agree with BMR.:???::lol: I bought the first ATV ever used on the farm this winter. Not that we did things on horse back before, mostly just a good old truck, but I wondered how we ever got by after the first week.

I do commend you on what you are doing though, looks like you have it figured out pretty good.

Thanks! I can see where they would be handy! I personally would get out of cattle if I couldn't use a horse to run them. I can't even justify the up-keep on even a free four wheeler around here at the moment. No offense to anybody!

burnt said:
. . .and I forgot to mention - that 14T brings back memories I rather not think about most days . . . :?

:D I've seen that quite a bit in my internet travels. I'm trying to get to where the only thing I rely on people for, besides stores, is having the vet do the Bangs vaccine and metal ear tag. Thats means jumping in and doing my own hay :D Plus, I want to learn why they are such a pain and have stories for myself!

Justin said:
looks like you are on the right track. :)

Thanks, Justin! I don't know about that though :D

hayguy said:
really enjoy your pic's and admire your enthusiasm. have done a lot of raking with one like yours, and an awful lot of baling with a 14T,224T, 336,346, 347,a massey and a couple of new hollands and my word of advice is try to find a tractor with a live PTO to run the baler. M's are/were great old tractors but unless it's a Super M TA you have no live shaft,a real incumberance to any PTO work

Thanks! ...and thanks for this info! I have it worked out to where I can get a bigger tractor, but it is going to be a couple years. Can I get by with my M for now? It's not a Super M. I just need to get by???

Soapweed said:
R A, your hopes, dreams, and worthy aspirations remind me of my own when I was younger. You are a lot better photographer, though, than I will ever be. Keep on a chuggin'; it's a fun ride. :)

Thanks, Soapweed! I'm not a better photographer!...I spend a TON of time going through hundreds of pictures with my editing helmet on :D I'm very excited about experiencing the ride!!!

4Diamond said:
Keep working RA it's worth it.

BTW WORKING RANCH is by far the most informative and best magazine I take in. I have even seen a person or 2 from this site in there.

Will do, thanks! Yeah, I seen the copy I took a picture of in a Tractor Supply. I think I read almost the whole thing just standing there in the store. Got my first one in the mail since and I can't wait to read more. I seen it mentioned a time or two, but it didn't register to look into it for some reason, which was dumb on my part!

SMN Herf said:
I am glad you are doing what you are doing because we get the benefit of some nice pictures. Congratualations and keep up the good work, I mean play! :D

Thank you! It does seem like play more than work!...it just doesn't seem fair at times! :D

I feel very lucky to be able to run this place and that's all I do! My wife's a nurse and we run 9 cows.....9 COWS!!! That's either really sad, or really neat....lol. Surely it can only get better from here. No government money either, except a $666 DCP check every year because my place used to be farmed. If I "worked" it would be a lot easier, but our boy is being raised by us and we have one coming in May that will be raised by us also as we grow our place slowly.

Latest posts