• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Enzi supports putting the brakes on Canadian cattle imports

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
For release: March 3, 2005

Enzi supports putting the brakes on Canadian cattle imports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., voted in favor of a resolution today that would prevent the U.S. Department of Agriculture from opening the U.S. border to imports of Canadian cattle.

The resolution would nullify a USDA rule that would allow importation of live cattle and additional beef products from Canada.

"The act of opening the border to Canadian cattle imports in light of 'mad cow' threats in itself borders on irrationality so of course I voted in favor of this resolution. I'm sponsoring a bill that would keep the border closed until we have an effective system of country of origin labeling in place and I spoke to Secretary of Agriculture Johanns again today about the need for this. I am also working on a captive supply bill to help ensure fair prices for our producers. Sen. Thomas cosponsored this resolution and took part in the debate on the Senate floor today and he is also working this issue from other angles so we haven't put all our cattle in one corral," said Enzi. "Yesterday's court ruling and today's passage of this resolution are helping us put the brakes on Canadian steaks."

Imports were set to begin March 7, but in a move separate from Congressional action, a federal judge considering a lawsuit brought against the USDA by R-CALF, a U.S. cattle grower organization, ordered the border to remain closed until he has had more time to consider the case. Enzi recently cosponsored legislation that would keep the border shut until mandatory country-of-origin labeling (COOL) is implemented. He also wrote a letter to the USDA requesting that it withdraw its final rule allowing the importation of Canadian beef.

The Senate passed the resolution by a vote of 52-46. It was introduced under the Congressional Review Act, a law that allows Congress to overturn Administration rules. In order to become law, the resolution needs a majority vote of both the Senate and House and would need to be signed by the President.

-end-

While the legislators, lawyers and other special interests groups are gloating over the fact that they where able to out manuver the USDA, the rest of the world is going on about their business. Understanding the safeguards, making the adjustments and moving forward.

Canada is not setting around wringing their hands about packing plant capacities, they are doing something about it.....enlarging their plants to accomodate more of their own cattle. Why, so they won't have to depend on the US for their market and so they can supply what their customers desire...whatever that is. We have just done them a huge favor and they are taking a big bite out of our OWN export business.

While we worry about captive supply and all those other political roadblocks, the bigger feeding companies are doing what it takes to move their business forward......all within the confines of the true spirit of American business. They could care less what you and I think! They have a business to run and are doing it!

We had better wake up pretty soon. Australia, Argentina and all those other beef exporting countries are taking our markets away from us. And I will make you a big bet that no matter what we do, we will NEVER recover our lost market to Japan or those other Asian countries at the level we once had.

History is in the making and if someone doesn't get their head out pretty soon..........the exportation of American Beef will only be a thought......talk is not getting it done........someone needs to take action and do it now! Who is going to step up to the plate???

One question......can anyone at R-Calf negotiate an export contract with Japan?

:) It is always so interesting when people talk of the CANADIAN plant expansion. Most of our expansion thus far is Mutinational. This stratigic move is like every other move in this game of money and greed. Cattle producers on both sides of the border chirp, but the big moves are made by powers above all of us. Sure makes for entertainment though.

Did the price of fats go up by 10 cents American after last weeks Rcalf victory? Cause it went down the equivelant 8 cents in Canada. Wonder what that was all about? :roll:

PORKER said:
WE can when we TEST!!!!

Can what? and test what? do you think the USDA will back off not testing every thing after they have convinced Japan that it is not necessary. I would just like to see the USDA and the US ranchers test the catagory of cattle that was recommended. If the USDA was forced to test everything you may just find BSE and then what would you do after R-CALF told everyone that Canadian beef was unsafe to eat and that our border shouldn't be reopenned to exporting as it was going to put their lives in danger. Tell us porker what will you do with all that US beef that R-CALF has scared people into NOT eating in the name of protecting you and your high priced cattle?

Tam:"Can what? and test what? do you think the USDA will back off not testing every thing after they have convinced Japan that it is not necessary. I would just like to see the USDA and the US ranchers test the catagory of cattle that was recommended."

Response: They have not convinced the Japs that testing is not necessary.
The US ranchers cannot test. The USDA/Vets have to do the testing.

BTW, I see the CFIA tested very few animals after the 1993 case up until the 2003 case. It's the same situation here. We cannot FORCE them to test more no more than you can. I agree with you. More testing should be done. Period.

Mike said:
Tam:"Can what? and test what? do you think the USDA will back off not testing every thing after they have convinced Japan that it is not necessary. I would just like to see the USDA and the US ranchers test the catagory of cattle that was recommended."

Response: They have not convinced the Japs that testing is not necessary.
The US ranchers cannot test. The USDA/Vets have to do the testing.

BTW, I see the CFIA tested very few animals after the 1993 case up until the 2003 case. It's the same situation here. We cannot FORCE them to test more no more than you can. I agree with you. More testing should be done. Period.

Mike ,you said the US ranchers cannot test, but all they have to do is call USDA for on farm testing of downer animals. :cowboy:

BMR:"Mike ,you said the US ranchers cannot test, but all they have to do is call USDA for on farm testing of downer animals."

You make it sound so easy. :D Some do - Some don't, don't want to go through the hassle. Takes days sometime to get them out. Who wants to leave a dead animal lying around. I'm in agreement, it should be mandatory, at this rate it could take up to 20 years to eradicate it.

rkaiser said:
:) It is always so interesting when people talk of the CANADIAN plant expansion. Most of our expansion thus far is Mutinational. This stratigic move is like every other move in this game of money and greed. Cattle producers on both sides of the border chirp, but the big moves are made by powers above all of us. Sure makes for entertainment though.

Did the price of fats go up by 10 cents American after last weeks Rcalf victory? Cause it went down the equivelant 8 cents in Canada. Wonder what that was all about? :roll:[/quot

It was on the news last night showing the dismantling of the plant in Washington and getting it ready for the move to Dauphin Manitoba. Good news for Manitoba, Good news for Canada, Bad news for Washington cattle producers. :cowboy:

I think we should :gag: all the R-calfers and put them in a big vault somewhere where they could try and Lie there way out of it!

Latest posts