• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

F-R 323 LAD 9107

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
Fraser yearling bull after sale. High % Canadian pedigree.

F_Bar_9107_Looking.jpg

F_Bar_9107_profile_2.jpg

There are few purebred cow herds managed on as minimal inputs as Fraser's. These two quotes come from his recent catalogue: "Mature cows spend the year on the Tanner place on grass. They saw their first feed February 16th. We do have a field for them, but will have to lose a little snow first. Most winters F-R mature cows see little to no harvest feeds. We find this "pressure" puts another cull on these cows that most seedstock cows will never see."

"The yearling bulls were weaned the first week of November and put on roughage until December 18. Then grain was slowly added to the ration. These calves are fed grain to 1% body weight, so they start at a few pounds and increased to 10 lbs as they grow. That's the limit. Roughage by volume consists of 1/3 green feed, 1/3 pea straw and 1/3 alfalfa silage."

what's special about this bull? don't get me wrong, he's a good looking critter, but nothing outstanding. IMHO is there more to the story?

I like their cow program - not so much the yearling bulls feed program - 10lbs is too much grain in my opinion. I realise there is a desire to have saleable/working size yearling bulls but would we feed yearling heifers 10lbs of grain? If not why should we give it to the bulls.

Grassfarmer said:
I like their cow program - not so much the yearling bulls feed program - 10lbs is too much grain in my opinion. I realise there is a desire to have saleable/working size yearling bulls but would we feed yearling heifers 10lbs of grain? If not why should we give it to the bulls.

Maybe because we expect a yearling bull to breed a number of cows and a heifer should only breed once in a year?

Justin said:
what's special about this bull? don't get me wrong, he's a good looking critter, but nothing outstanding. IMHO is there more to the story?

Evaluated within his contemporaries this bull stood out in many ways. He has very good feet and legs, IMO the best of the bunch. He was born April 11, when this photo was taken he was only 3 days and 11 months of age. Relative to muscling and BCS the best of the bunch, and the most moderate framed of the bunch. He is very balanced and correct moving. He displays very good spring and depth of rib, good width of chest floor and a well developed muzzle. Good top line, good loin and good width of hind end. For his age very good testicular development, shape, symmetry, and epidydimal development. He also for his age displays good secondary masculine character. He has a good clean sheath and does not prolapse his prepuce.

Dylan Biggs said:
Justin said:

Evaluated within his contemporaries this bull stood out in many ways. He has very good feet and legs, IMO the best of the bunch. He was born April 11, when this photo was taken he was only 3 days and 11 months of age. Relative to muscling and BCS the best of the bunch, and the most moderate framed of the bunch. He is very balanced and correct moving. He displays very good spring and depth of rib, good width of chest floor and a well developed muzzle. Good top line, good loin and good width of hind end. For his age very good testicular development, shape, symmetry, and epidydimal development. Scrotum has the right hair cover, texture and lustre. He also for his age displays good secondary masculine character. He has a good clean sheath and does not prolapse his prepuce.

so what are you trying to say, you like him or what? :wink:

Dylan Biggs said:
Grassfarmer said:
10lbs is too much grain in my opinion.
Grassfarmer please explain.

I just do not like feeding that much grain to bulls I think it will affect him later in life. 10lbs of grain dropped onto straight grass in the summer breeding pasture is a fair set back for a young animal. He will almost definitely be declining in condition which will not help his fertility. How many females will such a bull be expected to breed in his first season anyway? I would rather buy rising twos that did not have any grain in them. Personal preference only maybe but if they are reared on minimal inputs they tend always to thrive with less chance of a setback.
Not a criticism of this bull he is obviously a very correct animal I could see that even from the sorry pictures :wink:

Over the short time Murray gives his bulls grain they m,aybe average 5 lbs a day-they are up to ten for maybe a couple weeks. That bull had an marbling score of 5.0 at under 5mm of backfat. I've probably bought a 100 bulls there on order and have never had any complaints. I think that bull is good just because nothing really sticks out about him-he's not an outlier-but I bet he breeds a pile of cows. His sire settled 93 out of a 100 last year.

Justin said:
Dylan Biggs said:
Justin said:

Evaluated within his contemporaries this bull stood out in many ways. He has very good feet and legs, IMO the best of the bunch. He was born April 11, when this photo was taken he was only 3 days and 11 months of age. Relative to muscling and BCS the best of the bunch, and the most moderate framed of the bunch. He is very balanced and correct moving. He displays very good spring and depth of rib, good width of chest floor and a well developed muzzle. Good top line, good loin and good width of hind end. For his age very good testicular development, shape, symmetry, and epidydimal development. Scrotum has the right hair cover, texture and lustre. He also for his age displays good secondary masculine character. He has a good clean sheath and does not prolapse his prepuce.

so what are you trying to say, you like him or what? :wink:

He does a lot of things right and I believe he warrants being given a chance as a breeding bull. But that's about as far as I will go. Once daughters are in production then I will be in a position to say whether I like him or not. May sound cautious but after getting all hot and bothered by young bulls that turn out to be disappointing that's as far as I go with a young bull any more.

Grassfarmer said:
Dylan Biggs said:
Grassfarmer said:
10lbs is too much grain in my opinion.

I just do not like feeding that much grain to bulls I think it will affect him later in life. 10lbs of grain dropped onto straight grass in the summer breeding pasture is a fair set back for a young animal. He will almost definitely be declining in condition which will not help his fertility. How many females will such a bull be expected to breed in his first season anyway? I would rather buy rising twos that did not have any grain in them. Personal preference only maybe but if they are reared on minimal inputs they tend always to thrive with less chance of a setback.
Not a criticism of this bull he is obviously a very correct animal I could see that even from the sorry pictures :wink:

I don't like feeding that much myself either but on the other hand I have never seen a bull negatively affected later in life developed the way this bull has been. As far as I understand this bull won't be kept at this ration until turnout. As far as declining condition my experience leads me to believe that relative to his age and BCS and ration reduction he will not decline in condition nor will his fertility be affected. I prefer rising twos also.

Yeah he'll get used on a pile of heifers this spring so we'll give his calving ease a test for sure.Had a SAV Pioneerr purebred calf yesterday-he's a vigerous little shyster I'll give him that.

6732_KaiserDVW9U.jpg

Sorry to butt in; but how about taking this guy apart. Went up to 6 pounds of DDG in our silage and straw ration on these coming two year old bulls. Full Ultrasound scores, DNA and Linear Measurements are available in our catalog.

Our full line up is on the www.teamauctionsales.com

Latest posts