• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fall Gather Part One

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
On October 13th we started the fall gather on the mountain. It rained (YIPEEEE) all day and most of the night friday so things started kinda soggy. Nobody complained at all. :D My mount for the day contemplating the forecast.

The clouds were low and the ground kinda muddy, which i will admit was dang strange. :shock: But ya gotta find cattle even if they hide in the fog, so away we went. By the way, this pasture has not been grazed this year yet. What feed you see is what we left last fall. Pretty much nothing grew this year, but this storm should sure help. :D

We broke out into the sunlight as we gained altitude in Cottonwood Canyon. Phil and Wayne led the way while Chance and I rode rear guard. Thankfully we were not attacked from either direction.

A scenery shot of a patch of oaks. Mother nature sure dresses pretty this time of year. And that ol' gal like loud colors! :D

Still going up Cottonwood. Used to be a road up it to the forks but it's all gone now. We keep a saddlehorse trail trimmed up the bottom.

Chance on "Rooster", a young horse he's bringing along nicely. Good young man right there. The next generation will run the ranch in more than capable hands.

It takes awhile to gain 2000 feet in altitude and cover 8 miles up the canyon. Sure was a fine day though! :D

When we hit the forks, Chance and Wayne took the right fork while Phil and I went up the left. We met up on top in what we call the deathflats. Kind of a basin/flat up near the top of the mountain and a favorite spot for cows this time of year.

Looking back toward the "rough hollow". It lives up to its name. :shock: We found one cow that belongs to a neighbor but she was too loco to try and move her. They get eating frozen choke cherry leaves and it makes them drunk almost. They cant walk and really have a hard time standing. I've seen them roll halfway off a ridge if ya push em. We'll let her "sober up" and get her another day as she was on water and had grass.

We started down there about where that road hits the dark green band of cedar trees. It was a good loop and we saw lots of country. But we learned where the cows arent. Didnt find a cow on the cottonwood side. Such is life on a desert gather. :D

Riding along behind Phil like i was Soap! :D Looking east toward the black peak in sheeprock canyon.

Desert Mountain looks like a desert island from up here. We trail the cows through that pass in late December on their way home to Delta.

We met our compadres and dropped over into Hard-to-beat canyon. We did find a crippled calf up high by water. Her mother had abandoned her so we went up with a 4 wheeler and rescued her since she was right on an old mining road. Her mother will be headed for town. :x

Heading down and out the mouth of the canyon. Covered about 20 miles in our loop and had a crippled heifer for our labor. Good thing we arent getting paid by the cow or we'd be broke. Wait a minute...... We are broke! :shock: But a fine ride with friends in fall desert canyons is plenty of payment. :D

Made it to cowcamp at dusk and the sunset was a swell way to relax and have supper while the coyotes sang me a serenade. And to think some folks live in little apartments in Chicago, ride the subway to an office cubicle and never care to roam the less civilized spots on the map. Have a fine evening.

I was hoping you'd take, and post pictures! :) Thank you. I'm very envious of you getting to ride in the rain and mud! We got a scant 1/10" last night, made it smell good and settled the dust for a bit. When do you gather the rest? Good luck at it and keep clicking :D

Nicky said:
I was hoping you'd take, and post pictures! :) Thank you. I'm very envious of you getting to ride in the rain and mud! We got a scant 1/10" last night, made it smell good and settled the dust for a bit. When do you gather the rest? Good luck at it and keep clicking :D

"The rest" :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It may not be productive country but it is scenic. I would love to spend a day riding in that country. What did they mine there? Thanks for the pictures

GM88 said:
It may not be productive country but it is scenic. I would love to spend a day riding in that country. What did they mine there? Thanks for the pictures

Well, it's sort of a grab bag of minerals. Some gold, silver, lead and zinc as well as beryllium. We still have some beryl claims we keep active. Someday i might get rich but probably not. :D Come on out and bring your pony. :D

Nicky said:

Phil will keep after it all week as he took it off from work. I'll help when i can too. It takes a day or 14 but we get it done. :D Thanks for the encouragement. Tell Mike we need to go hunting chuckars, here or there. :D

I saw more cows today than you did but you ended with more gathered. :oops:

Made it in at dark and have had 2/10 since then. cleared off and freezing now.

Thanks for taking me along.

Awesome country, for visual stimulation if not for productivety you have 'H. Thanks for taking us along. I get to see all kinds of country I wouldn't have otherwise and the air still smells the same.

Bootheel said:
Awesome country, for visual stimulation if not for productivety you have 'H. Thanks for taking us along. I get to see all kinds of country I wouldn't have otherwise and the air still smells the same.
H country it smalls like sage after a rain.... and as they ride thru the sage that what you smell. The aspen this time of year has a peppery smell . the the juniper well it smells like Gin....

I have always enjoyed a good picture story and that was a good one, thanks for draggin me along.
good luck

Latest posts