• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Farm Accidents-- You Never Know!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

A local boy (Glasgow-Jordan) that has a hay grinding business all over eastern Montana and was a good friend of my son (I grew up with his Dad, who died a few years ago-- get a "take care of my son" kiss from his cute little mom every time I see her :oops: ) was seriously injured yesterday in a grinding accident...

Not for sure on the details but heard it was a belt or chain that broke on the grinder and hit him...Broke his nose and face all up- most the ribs on one side, his leg, his back, and several more various broken bones-- they flew him to Billings...If he wasn't such a big tough kid (6'2 250+lbs) it probably would have killed him....

Will keep this young man and his family in our prayers. And your right.....never know when somethin is gonna happen. Farm safety is a big deal, that we all should take the time to think before we do anything.

Just talked to my daughter- she's heading to the hospital to meet Josh's mom there (they are old buddies) ... Didn't sound good- his mom said it was nip and tuck all night- since both lungs are bruised and it bruised his heart...Broke every rib except 2- some in both front and back...
Sounds like the kid needs every prayer he can get to make it thru this one... :cry:

Please keep us posted on his progress. He sounds like a big,tough boy,he should recover ok. Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers..-

Prayers from here as well. There ought to be someway to put guards on all equipment that has belts :mad: What a shame for that young man.

Sorry about this young friend of yours OT....we've been there with a really good friend of ours,got caught in the p.t.o while grinding feed for his pigs.Broken bones,jaw,knees broken,ribs arms, badly bruised,spent months in the hospital.This has been seven years ago...still feels the consequences and just had a kidney transplant last week.

Another friend fell into a feed grinder....he wasn't as lucky :cry:

Prayers sent your way for this young man.

We'll send prayers from the Sandhills, too, Oldtimer. Sound like a bad deal.

Our 83-year-old neighbor upset his Polaris Ranger a couple weeks ago. He was chasing a cow along a creek, and the two cow trails he was following widened out allowing the outfit to upset. He lit underneath the vehicle, but was in a ditch and didn't even get a scratch. The Ranger has seat belts, but he says it's a good thing he didn't have them on. Otherwise he'd have lit with his head in Bear Creek and probably would have drowned before he could have gotten untangled. He feels very privileged to live to tell about it.

Three day's ago the rescue unit hauled me to town. We where vacinating cows when one kicked the swing gate hitting me in the head. Luckily all they had to do is stitch me up. It only takes a split second to get in trouble so be careful.

baling wire said:
Three day's ago the rescue unit hauled me to town. We where vacinating cows when one kicked the swing gate hitting me in the head. Luckily all they had to do is stitch me up. It only takes a split second to get in trouble so be careful.

Hey you must be like me. Lucky we have a hard head. :shock:

that is it! I am investing in a plastic bubble :? Prayers from BC to OT. Talk about a rough road ahead. :(

baling wire said:

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope they didn't use baling wire to sew you up. :wink:

Soapweed said:
baling wire said:

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope they didn't use baling wire to sew you up. :wink:
Im sure when I get the bill it better be gold plated. Now I know why a cow flinches when you block her for a c-section. I wanted to get up and finish the job but my wife was worried about the two inch diameter pipe indentation across the forhead. My daughter said I was still cussing when I hit the ground so she was'nt worried. :roll:

Daughter just called and Josh held his own during the night- and was doing a little better this afternoon... They have him on the respirator and in a drug induced almost "hibernation" to give his injured organs (heart, lungs, kidneys) as much rest as possible to repair themselves...They're going to do some type of surgery on his legs to put in a "filter"- help stop blood clots...

I found out a little more of what happened...That big commericial hay grinder has a big conveyor arm, that folds back for transport- apparently something broke or came loose and it not only hit him but fell on him (weighs over a ton)... His girlfriend said that he was talking and waving a little on the flight down- and complaining about his butt hurting (broken lower back)- so it didn't apparently cause any brain damage/paralysis...

Since the girlfriend flew in the Air ambulance with him she only had her purse with her, so my daughter took her downtown Billings yesterday afternoon for a shopping spree- both to get away from the hospital/problems of the moment- and to get a few changes of clothes....

And in true rancher "cows need to be fed" form, his uncle that helps him sometimes, was out at the feedlot with the grinder back up and working grinding hay yesterday afternoon......

Thanks Ot for the update.. My family has been trying to figure out what happened as we have a haygrinder too.. And we couldn't figure out the chain..... Now I can tell them more....
More prayers coming your way.................

Glad to hear he is doing a little better, dont mean to hi jack your thread OT but,this reminds me of a accident that happened in Shiner a few years back, a friend of a friend of mine was baling hay by his self of course,and he didnt get home at dark,family went lookin for him,found his tractor runnin with the baler turning,but the man was not to be found.
After callin the sheriff and more lookin they found him in the baler,Clinton,the friend of mine that told me this story,said he was limp as a rag when the got him out,broke every bone in his body,with the growin season just starting I hope everyone one realizes just how dangerous farm equipment really is...................good luck

katrina said:
Thanks Ot for the update.. My family has been trying to figure out what happened as we have a haygrinder too.. And we couldn't figure out the chain..... Now I can tell them more....
More prayers coming your way.................

Katrina the fellow had a "Mighty Giant" grinder. They have a conveyor coming out the back. The cable that it hangs on must have broke or something. The fellow that grinds for us has the same grinder but has a Cherry picker arm that he can load himself with bales. Nice when he can pull in and move down between two stacks and grind with out a support tractor loading.

Latest posts