• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fast Food!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Well since we are comparing what we learned to drive in, I learned in a '56 Ford pickup, short box, step-side with a 3 in the tree behind a flat head 6.

It was so stiff in the steering that it almost caused more than one wreck on the road. Talk about unsafe.

Scariest day of my life was when my oldest brother's hired man thought I should drive it from his farm to ours, about 5 miles apart. I went over on hill in the middle of the road and couldn't turn the wheel to make room for a neighbor coming from the other way. He almost went over the embankment on his side :shock: :shock: :shock:

The hired man went on the become a member of the legislature some years later. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was about 13 or 14 at the time. Now, other than a few rueful memories, all that remains of that old relic is one rusty fender laying in the bush.

Northern Rancher said:
I still have a hand crank separator lol. I'd like to find an old truck with a three in the tree those were fun to drive.

Well there is a '54 Merc (I think it's a Mercury?) sitting in the showroom of the local Ford dealership but I doubt that it could be bought. It is in showroom condition, shiny as a new penny.

Northern Rancher said:
I still have a hand crank separator lol. I'd like to find an old truck with a three in the tree those were fun to drive.

My grandmother had a little Ford Ranchero pickup, early 1960's model. It had "three on a tree" but it wouldn't have needed to for her sake. She never used second gear, and I'm not even sure she knew it existed. Watching her shift was always entertaining. Nevertheless, she'd be in third gear going at a high rate of speed in the two blocks from where she lived before she would screech to a stop in front of the grocery store across the street from the post office. She also had a 1967 Chevy Caprice. It didn't have cruise control, but did have a beeper that could be set to warn if you were going too fast. The speed limit was 65, so she generally had the beeper set at 67. One trip I was riding with her, and the beeper kept going off. She kept tweaking it upwards to avoid the beeping, and it wasn't longer before the beeper was set on 72. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Northern Rancher said:

My grandmother had a little Ford Ranchero pickup, early 1960's model. It had "three on a tree" but it wouldn't have needed to for her sake. She never used second gear, and I'm not even sure she knew it existed. Watching her shift was always entertaining. Nevertheless, she'd be in third gear going at a high rate of speed in the two blocks from where she lived before she would screech to a stop in front of the grocery store across the street from the post office. She also had a 1967 Chevy Caprice. It didn't have cruise control, but did have a beeper that could be set to warn if you were going too fast. The speed limit was 65, so she generally had the beeper set at 67. One trip I was riding with her, and the beeper kept going off. She kept tweaking it upwards to avoid the beeping, and it wasn't longer before the beeper was set on 72. :wink:

Your Grandmother wasn't from Pasadena by any chance was she Soap? :D

gcreekrch said:
Soapweed said:
Northern Rancher said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRR_b5aDn6w&feature=related

Go granny, go granny, go granny go!

Or this one . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUlH09TMKgQ

Well, according to that list, I'm older than dirt..... however I don't feel that old.... 50 is the youth of old age, so I'm very, very young.

Chrisy, my mom was raised in Windsor about 7 blocks from the castle and came to the US in 1954. In 1974 mom and I went for a 3 week visit to see Grandpa before he died. At that time, they still had to put money in their tv (just like at the laundromat) to watch it. I'd never seen anything like it.

Mom didn't work outside the home until I was 11. We didn't have air conditioning until 1973 and that was a window unit for the kitchen and living room only and was turned off at night. We didn't have a telephone until 1968 (the phone company wouldn't run the lines across the river) and then we had a party line and if you called someone on your own party line you dialed the number and pushed the receiver down (old type wall phone) so you could feel the vibration and then you knew it was ringing them.

I didn't know it at the time (I thought mom was being creative and wanted a colorful carpet) but mom went and got carpet samples and put them down in the living room floor for a rug because we couldn't afford a real rug. That was in the late sixties.

We couldn't get mail service (we lived on a county road 2 miles from the highway and 2 low water bridges) so we had to have a PO box. As a 5 to 9 year old I would ride my shetland pony, Rusty, over to the post office and get the mail whenever I could. Mom sewed a little bag and I'd put the mail in it and ride back home. The rivers got up one time and the postmaster returned some of mom's mail and it made mom mad so she went on a letter writing campaign to her senator and postmaster general and we got a mailbox (still one mile from the house and I walked it many times and even (once was enough) led my bottle calf, Goldy down to the mailbox and back..... she was definitely broke to lead when we got back).

I never thought a thing about it to ride my pony, gaited mule or horse (at least) 20 miles on a daily basis......... just out joy riding and dad had to shoe her because my gaited mare wore out a pair of shoes every 3 weeks.

The maytag wringer washer, we had one.... last week mom was telling me why we had one...... we had a 40 foot hand dug well and Dad said it wouldn't hold a regular washer and Mom bought the story until they had pigs and they had to run water down to them for a mud puddle. But I do remember Mom getting her hand caught in the wringer on more than one occassion............... my sisterinlaw still uses one to this very day. She does the laundry for herself and 3 bachelor brothers.

Milk was never delivered (in the country).... we got ours fresh from the cow. Brother and I spent many a time hand churning for butter. In the summertime we also had to hand turn the ice cream.

I learned how to drive on a John Deere tractor. Then I got to drive the car down to the highway (2 miles) in 8th grade (age 14) because I was on the jr high volleyball team and we had evening games.

Nearest big town (with over 5000 population) was 50 miles away. Walmarts wasn't around, we had Mohr Value (which Walmart bought out) and that was the only time we got to eat out and we went maybe once every six months.

I remember the round picture tv and black and white. Our house was in the mouth of a holler at the end of the county road and Dad put the antenna on the hillside and we still only got 2 channels (sometimes 3or 4 if the weather was foggy/rainy)

We only had one bathroom ........... period.

We had hot meals at exactly when Dad got home from construction work, you could count on it every night. We sat down and had a family dinner. No processed food, all from scratch and we were a meat eating family.

Mom and Dad would go to eastern star meetings at least once or twice a month and I can remember being 8 yrs old at home with just my 11 yr old brother. We didn't get into stuff.

When I was 13, I got a part time job at the grocery store (12 miles away) and saved my money up until I could buy me a used 2 horse, horsetrailer ($400) and I went over it with a wirebrush and then painted it two tone blue.

Looking back, I never, ever felt poor. I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. There were a few times when money was very tight and that was one of the reasons mom went and got a job when I was 11. We never had family vacations (maybe an occasional day outing) but Mom/Dad were the stay at home type. In later years mom told me that they paid their bills first ..... and we didn't take vacations because Dad worked construction in the summer. Dad's family was all within a 3 mile radius and mom had one sister in Illinois that we visited a couple times a year.

Kids now a days have no clue, however, I think in about 5 years they may get a taste of it. I just hope it brings back morals, character and integrity.

gcreekrch said:
Soapweed said:
Northern Rancher said:

No, she wasn't from Pasadena, but she could pass Dena, or Elsie, or Mildred, or anyone else who drove too slow in front of her. :wink: :)

I bet your grandmother was a blast, Soap!

MoGal, I really enjoyed your post. My family is from Missouri and
I recall going there in the summertime. I hated it because everyone's
house was so dark. All the drapes pulled at the windows. Now I realize,
it was because of the heat. I grew up in Wyoming, and while it was
hot there, it wasn't so hot you couldn't breathe, like Missouri. Of course,
as a child, I didn't mind the heat.

Talking about your first 2-horse trailer made me think about our first
2-horse trailer in 1964. It was an old Turnbow, with a fiberglass top.
I don't remember what we paid for it for sure, but it didn't have any tires
on it when we bought it, so we had to go buy tires; and the ones
we bought were used. We were really proud of that little trailer tho.

I raised baby chicks and
Mr. FH milked a cow. We sold milk and eggs; had a regular route
My folks used to tell me ,looking back their best
times were when they were really poor. I think our best times were
when we had to 'make do' more than we do now.

I can't remember what I learned to drive in. I think probably a 1967 Dodge Polara that we drove 6 miles round trip to country school. I can remember when girls wore make up and earings, still haven't got used to that one. The most mind boggling change for me is " I can remember when you took your hat off when you entered a building, you said yes maam and no sir, you never ate with your hat on and no one had to remind their kids to say please and thank you. You could still spank your kids in public and the teacher in my one room school would give you one before you got home to get it from your parents. I also remember when you moved your cows horseback. The very first atv I saw was a yamaha 3 wheeler. Didn't see anyone else buy one for 10 or better years.

A 62 Chevy 3/4 ton is what I learned to drive on. Then I graduated to the D17 Allis tractor, and all I saw after that was the hayfield. The first car I remember the folks having was a 62 Impala, black with red seats and, of course, no AC. Man, that thing was HOT in the summer. When the big windstorm came and a big ol limb fell on the roof of the Impala, Dad sold it to a guy in town who drove it for at least another 10 years. We do have pictures of the 55 Olds the folks had before the Impala, it was PINK! Mom drove a 64 Beetle for quite a while, and when the folks sold it they bought a brand new fire engine red 69 Rally Sport Camaro. Dad hated that car with a passion, cause it was real low and hard to get into. They traded it off for a new 72 Impala, and the Camaro only had 8,000 miles on it (in # years!) My sis still has the 72 Impala, and it still has less than 30,000 actual on it. Wish we still had that Camaro now.....

Dad had a Hale 16 foot stock trailer, the first stock trailer these parts had seen. This was about 1964 or 65. He flipped it (and the pickup) one day going down the highway with 2 mares with colts in it. He had just put on a new pair of Co-Op Country Squire directional mud and snows on the rear of the pickup and was bucking about a 45 mph wind. 3 days later he shows up with a Haynes gooseneck stock trailer, once again the very first gooseneck trailer in this neck of the woods. He fixed the Hale up and sold it to a guy, and put a new cab on the flipped pickup, and was back in bidness. That was about 1968 or 69, cause the pickup was a 66. We still have that Haynes gooseneck.

Don't tell your age.

My grandma raised me so I got exposed to some "before my time" things. Like curling your hair with rag strips on saturday nite for church on sunday. She had the pop bottle on the ironing board, too, and she still had the metal ice cube trays with the lever on them in use when she died in 1998. We didn't get color tv until I was about 12, others had it long before we did but as long the old tv worked it wasn't going anywhere. We had no A/C but grandma knew which drapes to close and windows to open to keep the air moving and take advantage of the shady side of the house as the day went on. I missed the 3 on the tree cars, when I came of age it was 4 on the floor. All those great muscle cars were just used cars in the 70's, and us teenagers could afford them.

Older than the old dirt!!!!

Blackjack gum
Lucky Strike Green
The Shadow knows
Studebaker Trucks (not really that old of a deal)
penny post cards

I can't remember having A/C in the house until 1998 or 99, when I started my first full time job after college. We are going to get rid of the Dish Network, it takes away from time that could be spent more productively and we did great before we got it 2 yrs ago. I did not drive a vehicle that had A/C until 2000 or 2001. I asked for my inlaws approval before I asked my wife to marry me. My parents divorced, when things got tough my Mom got another job. I never wanted for anything and lots of times she went without instead of getting Government assistance (welfare). I paid for my own college. I didn't have a car to drive when I turned 16, I had to ask to borrow my mom's or my brothers. Damn near when to college with a bicycle because I couldn't afford a vehicle of my own.
Some of the values installed generations ago aren't so many generations away, its the current generation that has to be responsible for passing them on instead of taking the easy way out.

My youngest brother built the first stock trailer we had. He built it mostly from salvage found around the place. My Dad said, "I don't know why would we would ever need anything like that" This was in the 1960's mostly only those that rodeoed owned horse trailers then. Turned out to be the handiest thing on the place.

Some of my memories are of the work my mother did with no modern conveniences. We had no running water in the house, a hand pump in the kitchen that pumped up wash water from the cistern in the basement. Drinking water came from the well out at the windmill next to the barn. Saturday was bath nite for us kids. I was the oldest of three boys so my bath in the tub on the kitchen table was last because it was assumed I was the dirtiest so the water would be cleaner than if I was first. My mother washed cloth diapers for three boys by heating water and washing them by hand. By the way, we weren't poor.

I especially feel sad for my grandchildren (ages 7 and 5) who are growing up with no sense of wonder about "simple" things. They are being forced by society to be "mature" way beyond their years.

Gary

I must be really old as I still only have a post office box and it's a single digit! :shock: One of the best parts of going to the ranch is the feeling that your headed back in time. No power or phone or TV for over fifty miles. We play cards by kerosine lamps and cook on wood stoves. We spent this past summer building fence and staying in our old camp trailer. The kids built huts, made stick horses and generally did what I did as a kid....... invent things to do! While medicine and technology sure help our lives in many ways, a lot of the stuff people can't live without is actually way over-rated.

I can remember grandma using a gasoline washer/wringer. We also had a seperator and a milk cow. We still have an old cable cat at the ranch with a gas pony motor. And I can remember my Dad's first truck with a/c in it. We never wore seatbelts or had car seats and went everywhere in my folks single cab truck, all three boys and Mom & Dad.

Latest posts