• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Faster Horses- You asked for it!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Our forecast isn't much different. Just less than 5 months since our last one. And it was 92 deg. here on sunday.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BILLINGS MT
424 AM MDT TUE OCT 4 2005

...FALL STORM TO BRING ACCUMULATING SNOW TO THE MONTANA PLAINS..

A STRONG EARLY FALL STORM SYSTEM WILL STRENGTHEN OVER THE AREA
TODAY PRODUCING A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW THIS MORNING WHICH WILL
CHANGE TO ALL SNOW THIS AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL CONTINUE TONIGHT...HEAVY
AT TIMES THIS EVENING OVER SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST
MONTANA...BEFORE DECREASING TOWARDS WEDNESDAY MORNING.

MTZ032-033-036>038-058-041830-
/X.UPG.KBYZ.WS.A.0001.051005T0000Z-051005T1300Z/
/X.NEW.KBYZ.WS.W.0006.051004T1800Z-051005T1200Z/
CUSTER-FALLON-POWDER RIVER-CARTER-SOUTHERN BIG HORN-
SOUTHERN ROSEBUD-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MILES CITY...BAKER...BROADUS..
EKALAKA...PRYOR...LODGE GRASS...LAME DEER
424 AM MDT TUE OCT 4 2005

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 6 AM MDT
WEDNESDAY..

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BILLINGS HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 6 AM MDT
WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW THIS MORNING WITH PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW
POSSIBLE LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. ACCUMULATIONS OF 8
TO 11 INCHES ARE EXPECTED BY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW..
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

Look on the bright side, Jake. It's going to warm up quick and all that moisture will go in the ground! :D

We haven't finished our house project (I'm decided contractors are people who can't hold a REAL job) and we have about a foot dug away from most of it with nothing but air between the ground and the foundation. Isn't that lovely. I called the contrator and his words were, "IT'S NOT GONNA SNOW." :mad:

It's too late now, just gotta get through it. In two weeks time he has put n outside door on downstairs. It is just a shame they way we have been treated over this house project. And I really believe most contractors are people that can't earn a living any other way.

A good friend of ours, who is a very industrious person, is going to build a deck for us and my husband said, "I hope he doesn't turn into a contractor, he won't be worth a s**t." :roll: :wink: :shock: :nod:

PS, Jake, if it get too bad, we can look at Jersey Lily's pictures of Texas!!

Jake- before I went to bed last night I could see snow flakes coming down - but none of it stuck...Just rain showers again today- but from the radar it looks like the north part of the county is getting snow- only 41 degrees....

Should get rid of some of the dust for working calves at least....

It's coming our way too. Still just cloudy and cool right now though.

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 10:21 AM CDT TUESDAY 4 OCTOBER 2005.
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN MANITOBA...

WINTER STORM WATCH FOR:
CITY OF WINNIPEG
DUGALD - BEAUSEJOUR - GRAND BEACH
SELKIRK - GIMLI - STONEWALL - WOODLANDS - ERIKSDALE
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE - HEADINGLEY - BRUNKILD - CARMAN
MORDEN - WINKLER - ALTONA - EMERSON - MORRIS
BISSETT - NOPIMING PROVINCIAL PARK - PINE FALLS
BRANDON - CARBERRY - TREHERNE
KILLARNEY - PILOT MOUND - MANITOU
MELITA - BOISSEVAIN - TURTLE MOUNTAIN PROVINCIAL PARK
VIRDEN - SOURIS.

THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WINTER WEATHER EXISTS OVER THESE
REGIONS TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

==DISCUSSION==
A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER COLORADO TODAY IS EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY AND MOVE TOWARDS MINNESOTA TONIGHT. IT WILL BRING A FEW SHOWERS INTO SOUTHERN MANITOBA THIS EVENING WHICH WILL DEVELOP INTO AN AREA OF RAIN OVERNIGHT.
AS COLDER AIR IS DRAWN INTO THE SYSTEM, THE RAIN
OVER PARTS OF SOUTHWESTERN MANITOBA WILL TURN TO SNOW DURING THE NIGHT. THIS CHANGEOVER FROM RAIN TO SNOW WILL LIKELY PROGRESS EASTWARD ACROSS THE PROVINCE, LIKELY REACHING WINNIPEG LATE WEDNESDAY. STRONG NORTH WINDS GUSTING TO 60 OR 70 KM/H WILL ALSO AFFECT SOUTHERN MANITOBA.

THIS STORM HAS YET TO FORM, ALTHOUGH THE LATEST ANALYSES SHOW THAT THE INGREDIENTS ARE IN PLACE FOR A STRONG COLORADO LOW DEVELOPMENT. IT IS STILL UNCERTAIN EXACTLY WHERE THIS LOW IS GOING TO TRACK AND HOW SOON THE RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW. THE POTENTIAL IS THERE HOWEVER FOR A MAJOR EARLY SEASON SNOWSTORM IN PARTS OF SOUTHERN MANITOBA.

A WINTER STORM WATCH IS AN ALERT OF THE POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE WINTER WEATHER. PERSONS IN OR NEAR THESE AREAS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR DEVELOPING ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS AND SHOULD LISTEN FOR UPDATED WATCHES AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.

Wet, mud and white here, still calling for 11 inches. They are calling for a low of 19 tomorrow night, need to get some pipelines shut down.

They are still calling for 8 inches of snow yet for here tonight.
We've had rain off and on all day, only registered half an inch at the ranch, don't know what town got. It got a little splattery a time or two, but didn't turn into snow as of yet.

The storm warning lasts until 6 am Tuesday.

It is pretty raunchy here now. Snowing like hell, maybe two inches now, and had a little over a half inch of rain first. The wind isn't too bad, but is breezy enough to make it not nice to be out. If it was calm, it would be almost peaceful. This is a week less than 5 months since our May storm huh rancher? Are you getting snow yet grumpy pants? lol.

Don't worry FH, the snow is on it's way.

I'll bet rancher is getting white too Jake...My daughter just called from Miles City- she was planning on coming up tomorrow and get a couple horses, but said it was snowing hard there now, so she may have to wait a day or two.......

By the radar it looks like everything south of the Missouri river all the way down into Wyoming is getting snow...We ended up getting a half inch of rain- must have been on the edge because 30 miles north only got a sprinkle...Getting nothing now....

I bet your right OT, rancher must be getting this storm too. The snow looks to be winding down here, but the wind is getting worse. :mad: Hard to tell what we have for snow, but there is plenty.

The electricity has been off and on. We take those guys for granted. I wouldn't want to be climbing up and down a pole in this weather. A former lineman here spent a 3 day blizzard in his work truck when he was trying to get the juice back on. They brought in a snow cat after the storm to get him out of there. Hat's off to them this morning!

The rain has turned white and is sticking here now.

YIPPEEE!! :

(though I might feel differently in the morning~)

We have opposing views on snow FH, I hate it almost anytime. If we would ever have snow with now wind it may be different. :shock:

the real jake said:
The rain has turned white and is sticking here now.

YIPPEEE!! :

(though I might feel differently in the morning~)

We have opposing views on snow FH, I hate it almost anytime. If we would ever have snow with now wind it may be different. :shock:

I have to agree with you Jake- Hate snow- rather see it come as rain in the summer if I could have my pick......

FH and rancher could be out of power- sounds like there are some big areas of lines down.......

I got generator started, no power, inch of rain, 14 " snow, most of the trees down, calves that need to be shipped soon losing weight, corral a total mess, roads not passable. I know BMR gets upset when I bitch about snow. SOOOOOO guess I have a jump start on next spring's grass. I wonder if FEMA is going to show up and help us poor souls? :D :D :D I hear Miles City got 6", Broadus in town got 6", but not far out of town got a foot.

rancher, you sure beat our snow total. We probably have 7-8 inches of snow maybe at the most, but drifts 3 feet deep, and places blown completely off. I imagine we beat an inch of total moisture.

I think you should e-mail FEMA, or maybe we should start an uproar here on ranchers.net for the resignation of a top official of theirs. Or maybe Bush didn't do all he should have to stop the storm in it's tracks before it got here. :wink: Yeah, I think you have the right idea.

Our winds are a steady 40 mph here now, so it's still a little rough out there.

FEMA had better hit ND first, looks like the storm is stalled there. I talked to a friend out of Dickinson and they had 19" this morning and heavy snow still falling. Jake we have about 20 mph wind here, knocking snow off the now dead trees. The only thing sticking up is the dead branches that didn't have leaves on them to drag them down. We have a hard time growing trees here , the old ones sure took a beating. Going to go shut the generator off, talk to you later.

Didn't Bobby Kennedy blame all the hurricanes on Bush causing global warming :roll: - wonder if he figures this is the same reason for an early October blizzard :???:

There is hope tho boys, I just came out of the courthouse at noon and the sun is shining and blue sky everywhere- but its supposed to get cold tonite up here with the clearing- down into the teens and 20's.....

Sure wish we could ship some of this nice warm weather from the East to you guys in the west. It was almost 30 C here again today. I'm almost sick of this hot muggy weather! But I like the winter, maybe I should come for a visit!

Well, I should learn--BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR... :( :nod:

It was quite a storm all around the country. We got 11" of snow, or that is what the radio said this morning; possibly more by now. The sun is out and the snow is melting. We never did have 40 mph winds; and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

We didn't lose power although it was on and off a few times. Messed up my computer, but they have been out and repaired that already. North of town and Ekalaka lost power.

Hey, rancher, at least you have a generator.
I think those calves will fill right up again. At least I hope so.
A good drink will do them alot of good since they don't drink in a
storm.

Maybe you should have a drink, too. :wink:

STAY SAFE!

We got over 4 inches of rain in the last 24 hours have about 8 acres of corn left to chop but its muddy.

See what I told you FH? :wink: Don't ask for snow again please. lol. I like a warm rain better.

I hear around Wibaux county that they may have gotten up to 22 inches of snow. As the Norwegian said, "UFF DA!"

There are trucks jacknifed in the ditch around here, and it was plenty slick and slushy on the hiway. All in all I suppose this storm will do more good than harm. Sure put a shrink on the calves like rancher said, but cattle were out grazing again late this afternoon. And I will have that drink with rancher whenever he gets around to it. :D

Latest posts