• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Faster Horses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

When you get to Miles City, you would go south to Broadus, about 90 miles I think. To get to Baker, you would go east 83 miles. It wouldn't be that far, as the crow flies, but I am not sure how far Broadus is going any other way. You could go to Ekalaka and take the cut-across road, but I still don't know the distance.

rancher would be much closer to Broadus than us.

Why do you ask?

Ohh a few years back I dropped some bulls off at the county scale on the south side of Broadus. We were on the way to Sturgis, S.D. and it was pouring rain and pitch dark out lol. I can't remember the guys name except he was a big dude lol. Haven't been through that country for awhile but used to go through there quite often.

Approximating where FH lives, according to Road Atlas she is 80 as the crow flies from Broadus. I am half a dozen miles further, and a state away from Broadus.

OT must have floated down Calvert Creek last nite, as we haven't heard from him today. :wink:

the real jake said:
Approximating where FH lives, according to Road Atlas she is 80 as the crow flies from Broadus. I am half a dozen miles further, and a state away from Broadus.

OT must have floated down Calvert Creek last nite, as we haven't heard from him today. :wink:

Actually real Jake I'm doing well- didn't even tangle too bad with the Canadian last night :) Did get a chance to visit with a lot of people- rain brought them all to town- all were happy that the rain was going to lessen the fire danger...Sounds like the big fire was just north of the Missouri- west of the Valley-Phillips county line on Larb Creek- I heard estimates that it burned about 16,000 acres- one hunting lodge, and one set of old ranch buildings used as a hunting camp...One of the pilots that flew over it said it looked twenty miles wide.... But the rain pretty well put it out- I talked with the BLM Ranger and she said they left only one unit to watch it.. Also had several smaller fires in Valley and Garfield county....

Sounds like we pretty well got rain thruout the two counties north of the river- anywhere from half an inch to 3 and half in places......

I was busy this morning inspecting some horses for a neighboring ranch- they are headed down toward you to gather and ship yearlings- apparently running them about 50 miles south of Miles......

Oldtimer- glad to hear you crossed the creek OK. :D The fire you mentioned must have burned fast and furious to get that size. Is the ground on the N. side of the big river as rough generally as the south? I heard quite a bit about the one on the south side a few years ago that got so big. That had to have been one scary fire that year.

I am hoping for rain, and will sure take what we can get. Grass is going pretty fast, and cooling off some will sure help that too. Cattle won't hammer it down around the tanks so bad, or the fence corners either if it would cool some. Tonite is just perfect for temp.

the real jake said:
Oldtimer- glad to hear you crossed the creek OK. :D The fire you mentioned must have burned fast and furious to get that size. Is the ground on the N. side of the big river as rough generally as the south? I heard quite a bit about the one on the south side a few years ago that got so big. That had to have been one scary fire that year.

I am hoping for rain, and will sure take what we can get. Grass is going pretty fast, and cooling off some will sure help that too. Cattle won't hammer it down around the tanks so bad, or the fence corners either if it would cool some. Tonite is just perfect for temp.

Yeah Jake - the breaks are pretty rough on the northside too...Someone mentioned that it got into a lot of dry sweet clover and took off like a blowtorch--- this was really a clover year....Then I also heard from one of the local firemen that the Feds (BLM and CMR) sent all the county firefighters and ranchers home and they took control- but then it got away from them.....I was hoping we had them educated on that taking over and running everyone off trick....

Hope you get some moisture.....

No at least I dont think? My inlaws live there. They own the Jimbo's west barbecue there. I was just wondering if anyone on here was from the area? I met some wonderful ranchers when i visit out there.

Hey!! We ate there the last time we were in Drummond, which was in June. Delicious!!! I think it is a very popular place to eat. We ordered and took the ribs and stuff home and ate it there. Man, it was good!!

We have friends there we buy our Black Angus bulls from. Pretty nice folks in that area. They fight over irrigation water, though.

shorthorn said:
is anybody close to Drummond montana?

I was raised in a town just east of drummond....town called "Deer Lodge"...still have some friends that ranch in the general area of drummond/Gold Creek!!!! What a small world, huh, FASTER HORSES!! :wink:

Northern Rancher said:
Hmmm I drank a bunch of whiskey with a banker from deer lodge at Leachman's sale one time lol.

Well I know a few bankers and a lot of attorneys that should be there :lol:

(Deer Lodge is home of Montana State Prison) :wink:

I gave a lot of people that one way ride over the hill........Anymore they beat you home :???:

Faster horses said:
Hey!! We ate there the last time we were in Drummond, which was in June. Delicious!!! I think it is a very popular place to eat. We ordered and took the ribs and stuff home and ate it there. Man, it was good!!

We have friends there we buy our Black Angus bulls from. Pretty nice folks in that area. They fight over irrigation water, though.

Yeah they is some good folks over there. The parks own the gas station have a ranch outside of town and are wonderful people. We bought some hereford bulls from dean dutton right outside of town for some buddys of mine here in indiana and they are doing great on fescue. We coyote hunt in the helmville area a lot over around the mannicks ranch and the wineglass ranch area. But yeah water is king. I love the food myself but cant get it unless i drive out there. We dont get the recipe until we read the will thats how guarded it is.

Latest posts