• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Favourite books?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
My favourite books are all of those from the Louis L'amour collection, and the book, 'Five Pennies. A prarie Boy's Story', and Fish Cop By Robert J. Adams. I like the books thatare about history and are put into stories. Any suggestions?

Angus Cattle Shower said:
My favourite books are all of those from the Louis L'amour collection, and the book, 'Five Pennies. A prarie Boy's Story', and Fish Cop By Robert J. Adams. I like the books thatare about history and are put into stories. Any suggestions?

cowboyup is a HUGE fan of mr lamour's!! has read all of them and even named our sons after his characters...flint and riley!! Could have been worse....he desperately wanted to name our first-born Catlow...also a lamour character.....ishhhhh....can you imagine! :? :?

As for me, I will read anything that does not run from me...from romance (not a huge favorite of mine) to true crime to mystery to western...only thing I cannot seem to get interested in is science fiction!!

One of my favorites is The Education of Little Tree. I think you will like it too. It is by Forrest Carter.

My husbands favorite book is "Grass Beyond the Mountains" by Rich Hobson. The book takes place in Canada. He read it first when he was about your age, and he has read it several times since. We have our own copy.

have been reading the boys the "Hank the Cowdog" series.....stupid dog...ya gotta love him!! Not a brain in his head!! :lol: :lol:

I called my steer this year Val Trevallion! His books are great, no matter how many times you read them. When I am in the city, or driving round with Dad, when it is storming, during school and recess, on the bus, and pretty much as I can, I have a book either in my hands, or in my jacket pocket/knapsack. I can easily read a novel a day, and i often do, especially when I am visiting relatives in the city. I don't like the city, or even the little hamlet down the rodad. The Prarie is th eplce for me. When I watch the cows, I pack a lunch, and 2 novels. Good days...
I just finished Flint for the second time today. I just got introduced over the summer, and I know th ebooks just as well as Dad, who grew up with them. He says that too bad not all kids round here would read. You learn lots from his books too. My favourite is Reilly's Luck, then Comstock Lode, then Flint.

If you know of some younger kids from the ages of 5-11, try the Geronimo Stilton books. My brother and sister love them so I tried one, and it was pretty good. So I read them the whole series over the course of a month. TV wasn't even toucghed and It was the summer break too!

My favorite is Little Britches by Ralph Moody I got it when I was in 5th grade I bet I have read it 15 times in the last 25 years...

I've probably read "My Brother Sam Is Dead" about a million times since the 5th grade. One of my VERY favorites. I also like the..... :roll: Harry Potter :roll: series... once you read one... you kinda get the urge to read the rest!! :wink:

I have to agree with you, demodrivergus, My Brother Sam is Dead is a really good book! And I also love the Harry Potter books. Have you seen the latest movie? It's really good. Another good series is the Lord of the Rings books.

montana cowgurl said:
Just thought of another good series/author, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis....

Flint and I are in the middle of book #5, the voyage of the dawn treader....saw the movie based on the lion, the witch and the wardrobe and "santa" brought him the set...he reads a page, I read a page and when he is done he takes a test at school for the accelerated reader program...every night (even when i work) we read a chapter...Hey, if it gets kids interested in reading, I saw "why not?" :D

oooh you guys have accelerated reader too? we had that in grade school, they give out awards for high point earners and such, never got the highest but i made it to like the top 5....

montana cowgurl said:
oooh you guys have accelerated reader too? we had that in grade school, they give out awards for high point earners and such, never got the highest but i made it to like the top 5....

not sure where flint ranks right now, but he brought home a really nice duffle bag with the ennis mustang's logo on the front last month because he was doing "pretty good, mom" :D Gonna be like his dad....lord, that man can read....if he does not have a good book in his hands, he's reading the cereal boxes!! :lol: :lol:

When I was a kid I read every Black Stallion book I could get my hands on. :D I haven't seen one in years. :?

As an adult, Lord of the Rings, hands down. I read it the first time in high school, and still dig it out and read it again every three or four years. I even got a LOTR Trivial Pursuit game for Christmas, but no one will play it with me. :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink: :lol:

Steven King is another favourite author. As is Agatha Christie. I like books that make you think. It's good exercise for the brain. :)

Kato---hubby is also a Lord of the Rings fan....hated the movies because "they did not follow the book word for word!" :roll: :roll:
I agree with you....if a book makes you stop and use your grey matter, then it can't be bad!! :wink:

i think ive read every black stallion book as well! hm...im working on the stephen king books, ive read salems lot, dreamcatcher, the dead zone, and some others, and im working on misery right now...

i think The Green Mile was my favorite Stephen King novel... Love the Chronicles of Narnia and am anxiously awaiting the latest (and last :cry: ) Harry Potter, due out next summer if I'm thinking right.
The Black Stallion books, and the Misty books, too.

even named our sons after his characters...flint and riley!!

Our son is Jasper, after a character in Lonesome Dove (an even better book than a movie!). And our daughter is Tyrell (the youngest Sackett brother, of course). :wink:

So far as my favorite books...
I honestly don't have any favorites. I have several that I've read and re-read (Huck Finn, for example, changes based on where my life's perspective currently is) but as an avid reader, I pretty much devour whatever comes into sight, too.

I myself enjoy King novels, when I first got ahold of the Green Mile I read it in 3 evenings, and turned around and started over on it.

I am currently hooked on WW II books and research. planters start rolling here in about 3 weeks, so my reading days are winding up pretty soon.

Latest posts