• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feedbunk design question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Grassfarmer

Reaction score
I am currently building some feedbunks for my soon to be weaned calves and have a query for anyone that can help. The bunks are on skids and have bottoms as I want to be able to move them around the pasture in winter to spread the manure around. They will be used for feeding silage in so I am limited how high I can make the toprail and still fill it over the top with my silage wagon. Because we will be moving them manure build up isn't an issue. From ground to the lip of the trough is 22 inches (quite low because the troughs are wide) - the question is how low can the bottom of the top rail be and not cause undue wear on the calves shoulder. We are using 2x6 rough lumber and I was planning on having the top rail directly above the sides although it might be possible to move the top rail closer into the centre of the trough. They will be used for calves from 450lbs through to 700lbs roughly and my calves are pretty stocky not real tall types.
Any suggestions or any websites to look at the show measurements? Thanks in advance.

Grassfarmer said:
I am currently building some feedbunks for my soon to be weaned calves and have a query for anyone that can help. The bunks are on skids and have bottoms as I want to be able to move them around the pasture in winter to spread the manure around. They will be used for feeding silage in so I am limited how high I can make the toprail and still fill it over the top with my silage wagon. Because we will be moving them manure build up isn't an issue. From ground to the lip of the trough is 22 inches (quite low because the troughs are wide) - the question is how low can the bottom of the top rail be and not cause undue wear on the calves shoulder. We are using 2x6 rough lumber and I was planning on having the top rail directly above the sides although it might be possible to move the top rail closer into the centre of the trough. They will be used for calves from 450lbs through to 700lbs roughly and my calves are pretty stocky not real tall types.
Any suggestions or any websites to look at the show measurements? Thanks in advance.

You can buy sections of head locks new for 50 to 60 dollars an opening. just leave them in the unlocked position. then if you need to work something trip the locks work the animal or animals and go about your chores. One of the simplest ways to be able to service any kind of problem AI or anything else.

Geez if their gonna wear out their shoulders at the feedbunk they might be spending too much time at it lol. I imagine they'll spend as much time crawling into them as out anyway. Why not just turn some smaller 18'4x34 tractor tires and use them or feed on fresh ground.

Pig Farmer said:
You can buy sections of head locks new for 50 to 60 dollars an opening. just leave them in the unlocked position. then if you need to work something trip the locks work the animal or animals and go about your chores. One of the simplest ways to be able to service any kind of problem AI or anything else.

Thanks Pig Farmer but that's rather more elaborate than I need for my circumstances and i'm budgeting under $10 a head to build the whole thing :oops:

Northern Rancher said:
Geez if their gonna wear out their shoulders at the feedbunk they might be spending too much time at it lol. I imagine they'll spend as much time crawling into them as out anyway. Why not just turn some smaller 18'4x34 tractor tires and use them or feed on fresh ground.
I don't think they'll wear out their shoulders - just trying to get the height right to optimise animal comfort and minimize the possibility of them getting into the feeders. I like your tire idea but like the conventional feedbunks I'm using just now not having a bottom leads to waste when you want to move them. Not a problem with cows as they clean up pretty much every drop.
I see some guys still feed short chopped silage on the ground - I can't afford to as I would estimate their wastage about 50% with calves.

It's hard to make a feeder that calves can't get into but that they won't get caught in if they do climb in. run a hot wire and feed under it might work too.

I had thought about a bottomless bunk with belting for sides. I had a guy that was going to build them for 2 winters. :roll: I finally gave up on him and probably the idea. They were to be on skids of tubing so they could be hooked together and moved.

I would go with the tires and bolt a piece of plywood on the bottom bead. That way you will save all the grain that you don't feed because it isn't in your cereal silage. :wink:

I like the tires but can't find anybody turning them. I don't have a bottom it makes it easy to clean,just pick up and move to a new spot.I don't think they are good for small calves but good for everything else.I sold calves Tuesday steers 472x108.91----hfrs 460 x 84.92, Angus and angus cross. ANOTHER LONG WINTER

Never ever ever use used tires for feeders. They will frey and the wire belting will break off in chunks with pieces of rubber. These little gems are the perfect source of hardware as a magnet will not help. We lost a very valuable herd bull to this and I will never feed out of a tire again!

Grassfarmer said:

14"-
width of your bunks is important, if too wide to easily reach the center then calves will crawl in.

Sask
My old silage wagon would explode if a tire went through!!
The tire feeders we were using got old and stared to frey along the seal. My vet told me it wasnt near the first time he had seen it.

Latest posts