• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fence Brace

Help Support Ranchers.net:

If I remember right there was a study done comparing the kind of corner NR pictured and a conventional H brace. The former was considerably stronger.
The secret is that when pressure is put on the wires the brace pushes against the ground. H braces rely on the strength of the posts more.

Here is one of mine. In this dry desert it should last 80 years or so if I can build them like Grandpa did. This is a brace in a wash bottom. On an end of fence brace I still use three big stout cedars set deep but one is an H and the one on the opposite side of the strain goes from the elevation of the H down to the bottom of the 3rd post on a 45 degree angle. If you build your strain braces right and tighten them up good with cross wires they simply dont move for a long time.
DSCF0001-23.jpg

Northern Rancher said:
What is Pl400. I've got a piece of insultube where I notched the brace at the end. They say you can run the wire around a block opf wood at that end too. They are quick to build for sure.

PL400 is an industrial strength glue that you can buy in a tube for your caulking gun. The joke didn't go over too well, I can see. :)

I find it funny the way some people dismiss something different or new without even trying it. It doesn't matter if it is a fence brace or one of a hundred other things. Maybe it's because if they tried it and it worked they would have to admit there might be a better way. Maybe they are just too stubborn or think they know it all. For years I built H braces the way my Dad and Granddad used to but over the years I have learned from other people there are better ways to do things. I started building braces like the one NR showed and I have found they are much stronger and faster to build than the way I used to build them. Maybe someday someone will show me an even better way.

For generations Canadians made love standing up in canoes then one day an enterprising Scotch immigrant moved to dry land with his lass and the resst is history.

Northern Rancher said:
For generations Canadians made love standing up in canoes then one day an enterprising Scotch immigrant moved to dry land with his lass and the resst is history.

yeah but what about herstory . . .

Big Swede said:
I find it funny the way some people dismiss something different or new without even trying it. It doesn't matter if it is a fence brace or one of a hundred other things. Maybe it's because if they tried it and it worked they would have to admit there might be a better way. Maybe they are just too stubborn or think they know it all. For years I built H braces the way my Dad and Granddad used to but over the years I have learned from other people there are better ways to do things. I started building braces like the one NR showed and I have found they are much stronger and faster to build than the way I used to build them. Maybe someday someone will show me an even better way.

don't know how to post this quote to the other thread, but this brace set deserves review

Whoever is using concrete railroad ties is insane a regular 10 foot 7x9 tie weighs over 900 lbs. Ill pass and just use steel. By the time the steel rusts out I will be dead and my kids can rebuild it in steel or whatever they choose. By then the fence will be completely worn out anyway.

When I saw this old thread show up I remembered immediately my response to the naysayers who said this kind of brace would never work in their area. That's why I loved Northern Rancher so much, he was always looking for new and improved ways to do things. Every electric cross fence brace I have built in the last 5 years is like those shown by NR. They work great.

Angus 62 said:
If I remember right there was a study done comparing the kind of corner NR pictured and a conventional H brace. The former was considerably stronger.
The secret is that when pressure is put on the wires the brace pushes against the ground. H braces rely on the strength of the posts more.

Good point, makes sense. I don't the ground is going anywhere!

New Zealanders do a lot of diagonal brace assemblies rather then H Braces. Keep in mind they're doing these on non-electric post and batten 9-10 wire high tensile with very tight wires, like 250 lbs each. The pamphlet "Fencing The Proven Way" has some good directions, one area of interest would be how they do their mortise notch to match up the post and brace.

http://www.fencingcontractors.co.nz/Portals/525/Fencing the Proven Way.pdf

I think for temporary fences such as electric and other cross fences this would work. Better than just setting a post and no brace, like alot people are guilty of including myself at times. You can make this out if t post with a simple kit. I have done it and you can get the brace tight enough to bow in a post. I have used it on leased grass were in any given year i might have to tear out and move on. Here is a link

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=26eb6f5b-7cb8-4a69-b746-565e37ec5d71

Latest posts