• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

fence stretcher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

How long will a Goldenrod last.Hell we have some neighbors that bought one 50 years ago and the paint
isn't even scratched. :D :D :mad:

I hear you Juan--We get a new one about every year or so. Have fixed some of them but about as cheap to get a new one. Besides need more than one around. If you do the loops as Soapweed says-you will have a fairly tight fence.
You Know I do enjoy fencing-it is so peaceful in the pastures and can really feel a sense of accomplishment. I usually go around the fences in the spring will the rest of them around here are farming. But last week will fixing fence(in about every pasture I was in) I got into poison ivy or oak and what a mess --oh well

Juan said:
How long will a Goldenrod last.Hell we have some neighbors that bought one 50 years ago and the paint
isn't even scratched. :D :D :mad:

Juan,you got neighbors like me.I believe you are right about the stretchers,they will last indefinetly if you never take em out of the truck..................good luck

mtn_90 said:
I've done away with fence stretchers and splices...I use one real good fencing plier/hammer and one claw hammer (mainly for leverage)...then I run a piece of #9 wire between the broken barbed wire pieces...loop the left side with the #9 wire (looped on that end also)...then on the right side of the #9 wire, loop the barbed wire and run the #9 thru it (UP through it, not facing down).... (it's important to work left to right).

then you feed the #9 wire through the fencing plier and get a grip on it, then put your hammer thru the handles of the pliers (like a T), then roll the #9 wire to the RIGHT until you get it as tight as you want it (I know, it sounds backward to roll right, but it's not, trust me)....then you loop the #9 wire as usual to the barbed wire and your fence will not give when it's released.

It's much easier to demonstrate in person, but it is a great way to fix fence and a heck of a lot easier to carry the supplies on horse back versus stretchers.....just precut your #9 wire to the length you want and off you go.

A guy that all he did was fix fence on a huge ranch in New Mexico taught this way of fixing and he's right on in how to do it...once you catch on to it, it saves lots and lots of time in doing it from the standard method!! #9 wire is awful strong too, I haven't had a fix like that break yet.

hope i've made it clear on how to do this method...it really is a time saver 8)
I would really like to see a picture. I just can't get my little mind to comprehend with out one.

I think all three of my joining neighbors have brand spankin new fence stretchers too. Or maybe they haven't gone and bought one yet lol
Seems we are the only one's that ever patch fence, another funny thing is, we get neighbor visitors...hmmmm
Got one now, neighbor said, "Oh just put him in the catch pens, I'll come get him" bouta 2000 lb angus bull. Don't feel like it should be left up to "just us" to put him in the pens. Think he should come git him. This is the second bull of his in 3 months now. Is why we are fixin fence too.
If he dont come get him soon I'll just git the guys to rope him and haul him, this is an ongoin thang with this neighbor, Ever bull he gets seems to wanna come visit my cows.

Picture of the stretcher tho aint where his bull tore it up....that's where dad n law got into it with bulldozer. lol

Our fence patching is usually because of the neighbour's cattle, too. Or the damn freaking deer!!! :mad:

Personally I hate goldenrod stretchers and have the scars to prove why. The ONLY use they could possibly have is to open a really tight gate I use a Hayes chain stretcher, simple effective and a wire grip that holds! As well they will handle longer stretches and can dismantle to fit on a saddle . Use one and you'll throw your other stretchers in the junk pile :!:

TimH said:
Yup!! That's what I use. Except I don't buy a new set every year, like Jinglebob... I just smack the tabs harder with a hammer to make 'em bite on the wire!!! :lol:

HA!....do the exact same thing here Tim! Have 2 of them here and the old one has been banged on so many times that it is getting quite a flat ridge on the 'banged-up' side. Damn good stretchers for a price like $30.00. Always have the possibility of it slipping or the wire breaking, but that's just part of the hazards of ranching! :lol:

Lilly, my grandad gave me his stretcher like yours 10 years ago when he retired, fixed fence on a new lease pasture all day saturday with it, still works great! We are real dry in south central texas cattle pushin on fences bad, already feeden our winter hay supply.

That's the only kind I've used. The chain stretchers sound interesting. Where can I see a picture of them. You can redo the grips on the goldenrods with a wire feed welder, then you don't have to bang them so hard :wink:

Nickey; Did a google search- www.kencove.com - and follow the links to chain stretchers. The Hayes is a quality made stretcher that will last a lifetime. The wire clamp grabs and securely holds any kind of wire without damage. The handle will unscrew to dismantle and you can carry it horseback quite easily!

Red Robin:

Once you are done, it looks like a regular splice using a piece of barbed wire to splice the fence...it's in the "doing" that's the difference.

If I could put a short little video clip on here of how to do it, I bet all of you would throw your stretchers to the wind for fixing fence. Just my opinion, but I haven't used a fence stretcher since -- and I fixed many many miles of fence before with stretchers. I don't touch em now except when I put up wire. It gets the fence just as tight as when you first stretched it and it doesn't "slip".

Sorry I can't offer a video clip of how to do it, but i can try to explain it better if you think that would help!! :)

I hear everyone talking about using loops when fixing fence...I know that's a quick and easy way to do it but those loops are the weakest part of your fence. I did a science fair project back in high school (the only one I ever enjoyed doing) on fence splices. Since those loops make the wire bend at such a tight angle, it weakens the metal. The splice that I found worked the best was what is commonly called the lineman's splice. Basically, you run the wires parallel to each other. Then wrap one around the other so the wire coming from the left is wrapped around the wire coming from the right, and vice versa. If you're spicing some 80 yr old barbed wire that you know can't make a loop, this will probably work. Of course it is best to have nice tight wraps so the wire doesn't slip. And you have to wrap in the right direction or else it will come unwound. One wire wraps towards you, the other away from you. Anyway, according to my experiments, the loop-type splices were the weakest part of the fence, but the lineman's splices were actually stronger than the wire around them. It might take a little longer to do but at least you won't have to do it again next year.

sdsu......Better take more classes!!!!!! The linemans splice in a fence is a piece of crap :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

We use the loop splice on regular fence, and have used the lineman's splice on barbed-wire gates. By using the lineman's splice on the gates, the wire stays stiffer and doesn't tangle up as bad when you open and shut the gates. Anymore, I like the "patented" crimped splice for gates and on old wire that is inclined to break when bent.

My experience with the lineman's splice is that with too much pressure it sure comes unraveled. I don't think they would be all that successful for stretching a broken wire along a fenceline. Old brittle wire wouldn't be able to stand the many tight curves necessary to make a lineman's splice work. The loop splices work very well, and have sure stood the test of time. One hired hand that worked here, used a single chain link on a splice. It did the job, but no better than just a plain loop splice.

I always meant to take a good look at the splices that are in a new roll of barbwire. (There aren't many.) It is a real neat looking splice and I have never seen one come apart.

Latest posts