• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fencing Projects

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
I got a contract to build 2 miles of fence 55 miles west of me out in Riverbed. There is 2800 acres out there that an outfit just bought and plans to irrigate alfalfa. Lots of work until they get to selling hay including a bunch of fence. Anyway, i went out this morning and worked on the fence til the wind got too bad and i came home. Gotta weigh and tag show steers this afternoon anyway. The place is called Keg Mountain Ranch and the mountain in the background is Keg. Here's a corner brace.
DSC00758.jpg

Looking back toward Simpson Mountain. This part of the fence is 4 wire barb. The rest is a barb, then net wire and then two barbs on top.
DSC00759.jpg

My old fencing truck and the fence line going south. The ground is nice and sandy for a change! :D Last fence i built i needed dynamite to blast out the rock.
DSC00760.jpg

The strain brace at the narrow end of a triangle shaped pasture they plan to run sheep/goats in. NOT MY GOATS EITHER!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSC00761.jpg

I did do a little work today. Got 3 more barbs stretched and the wire clipped to the posts on a section.
DSC00762.jpg

I built this section in February when the ground was still froze and it was slow going. But this half mile is complete. Feild fence and barbs.
DSC00763.jpg

It's done that'a'way a ways.
DSC00768.jpg

Zoomed in to see the south corner. Another sheep/goat pasture is the plan. Along with hay to pat the bills they plan to have sheep and goats as well as chickens and turkeys and a greenhouse operation. We shall see.
DSC00769.jpg

We supplied the new cattle gaurd and the County guys installed it.
DSC00770.jpg

Cattle gaurd up close. Ought'a turn a cow.
DSC00771.jpg

Headquarters is a camp trailer and a cook/shower house for now.
DSC00764.jpg

The veiw to the south end of the place. It goes farther south a couple of miles.
DSC00766.jpg

Looking east across the desert to the Sheeprock Mountains where we run cows. The snow looks pretty good for as dry as the winter was.
DSC00765.jpg

Looking north up Death Canyon on Simpson Mountain. Lion rock is there on the left.
DSC00767.jpg

Shot a drive by shot as i drove home. This is the south end of a range of hills called Camelsback. Never have seen a single camel there but i always watch for them. :D
DSC00772.jpg

Mean while, back at the ponderosa........ I worked on my corrals a little this winter. Put in this section of pole fence and built the gate.
DSC00773.jpg

New manger i put in at the stackyard. Now i can feed three directions out'a the same yard. Or maybe i'd better say Mrs. H can feed three directions out'a the same yard! :D
DSC00774.jpg

The south end of the stackyard where i built a new corral. It contains one stockshow steer at the present. When i get a minute i plan to put a fence up the middle to divide it so i can feed feeder steers on one side and replacement heifers on the other side. Hope i didnt bore ya to death. I manage to keep myself occupied and entertained by staying busy. Enjoy your day. It's a windy bugger out here today.
DSC00775.jpg

They going to irrigate that hay? If so, can you still drill irrigation wells? Or is there even any groundwater out there?

You have been busy. Maybe the new 'puter wasn't such a good idea, it might waste too much time. Thanks for taking me along, without having to do the work.

pknoeber said:
They going to irrigate that hay? If so, can you still drill irrigation wells? Or is there even any groundwater out there?

There are 8 wells on the place and the reason these guys bought the place is because it has a great water right on it. This was homesteaded lots of years ago and has been passed from hand to many hands. The reason is it is 45 miles of dirt road from the nearest paved road to get there and it has no power. They have pumped using diesel power for years but that is expensive and going nowhere but up. Running power is only 5 million so no. The guys who own it now plan to install solar pumps and only pump during the day. An outfit from Idaho has solar pumps that can pump 750 GPM. They are in the process of engineering field layouts and mailine to flood irrigate. And they plan to drill more wells if needed to expedite getting water on the feilds. It is a huge undertaking and they are at step 1. I hope it works as i might end up with a bunch more fence to build. And a place to run cows in the fall to utilize crop residue. :D The amazing part of the Riverbed area is the water. It is the old riverbed that was left as Lake Bonniville dried up thousands of years ago. The water table is only 75 feet below the ground with a static water level at 18 feet. Lots of water in a desert! Who Knew! :D

Hate to tell you this but you left the long end out on a couple of those ties. Maybe you should dig them out and put the other end in. :wink: :p :lol: :lol:

Ok, you are starting to make feel just a bit guilty. What are you getting for fencing that? Do the TEE post stay upright? Here, if you go more then about 2 steel posts, unless they are over 6', they have a tendency to not stay upright. I have been going either all wood, or wood then 2 steel posts. I don't have any major fencing projects planned for the summer. Just some overhauling of a sorta corral. Won't be near as nice as yours though.

LazyWP said:
Ok, you are starting to make feel just a bit guilty. What are you getting for fencing that? Do the TEE post stay upright? Here, if you go more then about 2 steel posts, unless they are over 6', they have a tendency to not stay upright. I have been going either all wood, or wood then 2 steel posts. I don't have any major fencing projects planned for the summer. Just some overhauling of a sorta corral. Won't be near as nice as yours though.
I think they are actually 20' posts, hand dug.

Good looking fence Leanin' H. If you ever get bored and want to come up to Canada feel free. Can't pay you because of the foreign worker laws, but I would let you put a couple of miles on your resume...

LazyWP said:

Shoot, a second grade kid hopped up on sugar could build fence better than me. :D You are just being nice cause you want chillies! :p I am building this fence per their specs. They are going with 6 foot t-posts on 16 1/2' spacing with braces made from 9 foot railroad ties on corners, 1/4 mile markers and direction changes including where a division fence attaches. This fence is mostly to keep winter range cows out, but the netwire fence is intended for the goat/sheep operation. They are putting in 2 wire dancers or stays inbetween each set of t-posts. I agree with you about using more wood posts. If it was my place i'd go 5 steel and a cedar post. On corrals i use stout cedar post or ties. As a very lazy guy, i try to build something i won't have to build again. :wink: The pay is great and so far the folks who own the place like my work and haven't run me off yet. I have made enough so far to buy a 2002- 20' used Sooner aluminum stock trailer! :D

RSL, If i come to Canada i'll have to tell ya up front that you are on the list of places to see but Gcreek has got a bunch of fence i have to build first. But if he gives me trouble, i'll head your way quick. :wink: And your payment would be about right for what i am worth! :lol:

leanin' H said:
pknoeber said:

There are 8 wells on the place and the reason these guys bought the place is because it has a great water right on it. This was homesteaded lots of years ago and has been passed from hand to many hands. The reason is it is 45 miles of dirt road from the nearest paved road to get there and it has no power. They have pumped using diesel power for years but that is expensive and going nowhere but up. Running power is only 5 million so no. The guys who own it now plan to install solar pumps and only pump during the day. An outfit from Idaho has solar pumps that can pump 750 GPM. They are in the process of engineering field layouts and mailine to flood irrigate. And they plan to drill more wells if needed to expedite getting water on the feilds. It is a huge undertaking and they are at step 1. I hope it works as i might end up with a bunch more fence to build. And a place to run cows in the fall to utilize crop residue. :D The amazing part of the Riverbed area is the water. It is the old riverbed that was left as Lake Bonniville dried up thousands of years ago. The water table is only 75 feet below the ground with a static water level at 18 feet. Lots of water in a desert! Who Knew! :D

Not sure what area you're in---but around Eli, Nev, L.A. knows. We landed there for fuel, there was a real spiffy 'Los Angeles County Water and Sewer' helicopter there. Pilot had the helmut, flight suit with lotsa pockets and pens, deal on knee for clipboard---(as opposed to ours who wears a duck hunting hat, home made nose guard for ultra-violet that covers his nose, little country western cd player--oh, and 37,000 hrs--

Anyway, I asked mighty duck hunter what lalaland was doing up there? He said they been flying outa there for several yrs, looking for water to pipe to s. cal.

Wonderful pic's and storey to go along with them. Inever tire of seeing how fence is built in other areas/conditions. those big ties certainly require some digging, trust you have some kind of powered auger. good luck with the rest of the project :D

All those fences going to be in the path of your annual cattle drive? By the way, you don't have to go to Canada, you'ld be welcomed here. Good grub and lots of desert scenery!

littlejoe said:
leanin' H said:
pknoeber said:

Not sure what area you're in---but around Eli, Nev, L.A. knows. We landed there for fuel, there was a real spiffy 'Los Angeles County Water and Sewer' helicopter there. Pilot had the helmut, flight suit with lotsa pockets and pens, deal on knee for clipboard---(as opposed to ours who wears a duck hunting hat, home made nose guard for ultra-violet that covers his nose, little country western cd player--oh, and 37,000 hrs--

Anyway, I asked mighty duck hunter what lalaland was doing up there? He said they been flying outa there for several yrs, looking for water to pipe to s. cal.

California would have to fight Nevada for the water first. :mad: If Harry Reid and Las Vegas have thier way they will turn the whole border between utah and nevada into nothing but sand. :evil: :evil: :evil: But we are fighting them every inch of the way as they attempt to use an 84 inch diameter pipe to drain the country. :mad:

hayguy said:
Wonderful pic's and storey to go along with them. Inever tire of seeing how fence is built in other areas/conditions. those big ties certainly require some digging, trust you have some kind of powered auger. good luck with the rest of the project :D

I'll post a picture of the powered auger but it is in rough shape, broken down and leaks fluids. :D On this project i am using a backhoe to dig the holes for the ties! :D Usually it is me with a bar and shovel. :wink:

Shortgrass said:
All those fences going to be in the path of your annual cattle drive? By the way, you don't have to go to Canada, you'ld be welcomed here. Good grub and lots of desert scenery!

What time's breakfast and i will be there in the mornin'! :D This place is farther west than where we push the cows.

You sure do nice work H, those braces look to last several generations. I'll be sure that none of the pictures I post of this place show any strain braces :oops:

leanin' H said:
LazyWP said:

Shoot, a second grade kid hopped up on sugar could build fence better than me. :D You are just being nice cause you want chillies! :p I am building this fence per their specs. They are going with 6 foot t-posts on 16 1/2' spacing with braces made from 9 foot railroad ties on corners, 1/4 mile markers and direction changes including where a division fence attaches. This fence is mostly to keep winter range cows out, but the netwire fence is intended for the goat/sheep operation. They are putting in 2 wire dancers or stays inbetween each set of t-posts. I agree with you about using more wood posts. If it was my place i'd go 5 steel and a cedar post. On corrals i use stout cedar post or ties. As a very lazy guy, i try to build something i won't have to build again. :wink: The pay is great and so far the folks who own the place like my work and haven't run me off yet. I have made enough so far to buy a 2002- 20' used Sooner aluminum stock trailer! :D

RSL, If i come to Canada i'll have to tell ya up front that you are on the list of places to see but Gcreek has got a bunch of fence i have to build first. But if he gives me trouble, i'll head your way quick. :wink: And your payment would be about right for what i am worth! :lol:

I've got 100 10' x 10" posts and all the logs cut for the corrals at Morrison Meadow. All I need is the loss of fear or an expert contruction artisan to get started. Will use a vibrator to sink the posts, if our hoe is too small the neighbor has one on a 200 excavator that will push them in.

After that have enough posts to rebuild 2 miles of wire.

See you about the end of May, bring your own lunch. :p :lol:

Very nice job H. :tiphat:

gcreekrch said:
leanin' H said:
LazyWP said:

I've got 100 10' x 10" posts and all the logs cut for the corrals at Morrison Meadow. All I need is the loss of fear or an expert contruction artisan to get started. Will use a vibrator to sink the posts, if our hoe is too small the neighbor has one on a 200 excavator that will push them in.

Just waiting for the bush pilot you hired to swing by here and pick me up. :D

leanin' H said:
gcreekrch said:
leanin' H said:

Just waiting for the bush pilot you hired to swing by here and pick me up. :D

That sounds like a DARE!!!! :wink:

You probably wouldn't get in the plane with Out Of Gas Crash anyway. :lol:

Latest posts